Okay first thing

Ken Marcet

Guest
I posted a message here awhile back that said something about recumbent
owners being crazy. Now I take that back, I have been riding my regular road
bike for a couple of months now, and my back is starting to act up again
(now I know why I stopped riding) and can now appreciate the support of a
recumbent seat. You are not mentally ill. I am! Anyway - now that I have
realized the huge advantage of a bent, I am going to start on my first
project bent. I have several donor bicycles in my garage, and have started
to remove all the bolt on parts, I haven't cut anything into pieces yet. I
know that most of the department store type bikes are pretty cheaply made,
but surely there are some parts / components that can be used in the
construction of a bent. Being that this will be my first attempt I am not
expecting it to be the best home built recumbent in the world! Actually if
it even can be ridden at all I will be amazed. I am not really going to
follow any "plans" more just follow plans in my head. Question 1: Are there
any components that should be absolutely avoided from dept store bikes? I
have a Ross comfort bike, a Murray legacy 10 speed, and a huffy Santa Fe 12
speed so far for parts. Oh yeah I should mention that the area where I live
has no real LBS nearest on is about an hour and half away by car.

Ken

--
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

Ken Marcet wrote:

> ...Being that this will be my first attempt I am not
> expecting it to be the best home built recumbent in the world! Actually if
> it even can be ridden at all I will be amazed....

See <http://www.mile43.com/peterson/wb.html>.

I saw a "Huffy Easy" once - a Tour Easy clone built from old Huffy
parts. It easily weighed more than 1/40 of a ton.

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I posted a message here awhile back that said something about recumbent
> owners being crazy. Now I take that back, I have been riding my regular
> road
> bike for a couple of months now, and my back is starting to act up again
> (now I know why I stopped riding) and can now appreciate the support of a
> recumbent seat. You are not mentally ill. I am! Anyway - now that I have
> realized the huge advantage of a bent, I am going to start on my first
> project bent. I have several donor bicycles in my garage, and have
> started
> to remove all the bolt on parts, I haven't cut anything into pieces yet.
> know that most of the department store type bikes are pretty cheaply made,
> but surely there are some parts / components that can be used in the
> construction of a bent. Being that this will be my first attempt I am not
> expecting it to be the best home built recumbent in the world! Actually if
> it even can be ridden at all I will be amazed. I am not really going to
> follow any "plans" more just follow plans in my head. Question 1: Are
> there
> any components that should be absolutely avoided from dept store bikes? I
> have a Ross comfort bike, a Murray legacy 10 speed, and a huffy Santa Fe
> 12
> speed so far for parts. Oh yeah I should mention that the area where I
> live
> has no real LBS nearest on is about an hour and half away by car.

Ken:

Please destroy those Murray frames before the punk Columbine type high
school kid killers steal them to make their pipe bombs. If you want to
practice welding on those frames do so, just be sure to destroy them when
you are done. I'll bet you can make nicer welds on your first try than you
find on the Murrays. But don't be too quick to chop up Ross frames - there
are some good ones that deserve to stay intact.

Now then, if you look around you can find older road bikes with proper
chromemoly frames and good components for as little as $35.00 or so. As you
pass a yard sale always scan for bikes. If you are a dump picker kind of guy
you can find what you need and get them for free. The price of the used
parts will always be small compared to the effort you will make. eBay is
mega source for used parts. I suggest you use friction shifting so you can
mix components as needed.

You could also buy Easy Racer clone plans. Why not work toward something
that will be a pleasure to ride when you are finished.

Home builders are not hard to find on the internet and they are usually more
than happy to provide detailed information and photos. Look for them.

Good luck.

skip

skip wrote:

> Please destroy those Murray frames before the punk Columbine type high
> school kid killers steal them to make their pipe bombs....

While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution.
The school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the
privileged (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families)
to constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
students. If the double standard had not existed, the situation would
almost certainly never have escalated out of control.

Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.

--
Tom Sherman

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip wrote:

>> Please destroy those Murray frames before the punk Columbine type high
>> school kid killers steal them to make their pipe bombs....

> While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
> the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution. The
> school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the privileged
> (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families) to
> constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
> students. If the double standard had not existed, the situation would
> almost certainly never have escalated out of control.
>
> Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

GAG!

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip wrote:

> > Please destroy those Murray frames before the punk Columbine type high
> > school kid killers steal them to make their pipe bombs....

> While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
> the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution.
> The school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the
> privileged (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families)
> to constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
> students. If the double standard had not existed, the situation would
> almost certainly never have escalated out of control.
>
> Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

That is about the most absurd and pathetic explanation of a massacre I have
ever read

skip wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>skip wrote:
>>

>>>GAG!

>>Happy to oblige.
>>
>>--

>>Tom Sherman
>>

> Oh what a wonderful world it would be if we could all be losers. Isn't that
> right Tom?

You tell me Skip.

--
Tom Sherman - [ ]

Mark Leuck wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>skip wrote:

>>>Please destroy those Murray frames before the punk Columbine type high
>>>school kid killers steal them to make their pipe bombs....

>>While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
>>the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution.
>>The school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the
>>privileged (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families)
>>to constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
>>students. If the double standard had not existed, the situation would
>>almost certainly never have escalated out of control.
>>
>>Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.
>>
>>--
>>Tom Sherman

> That is about the most absurd and pathetic explanation of a massacre I have
> ever read

You have not understood what you have seen, and have obviously learned
nothing.

I find it tragically comical the way people are shocked when violence
leads to retaliation, as they have self-deluded themselves into
believing they are morally superior when they are not.

Enjoy the repercussions of violence by those in power!

--
Tom Sherman - [ ]

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip wrote:
>
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>Happy to oblige.
>>>
>>>--

>>>Tom Sherman
>>>

>> Oh what a wonderful world it would be if we could all be losers. Isn't
>> that right Tom?

> You tell me Skip.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - [ ]

Well from reading your post I'm thinking if everyone had lower loser social
status then there would be no privileged athletes, no popular students from
affluent families (the punk Goth loser killers were from affluent families
too as I recall), and no school authorities to share the blame or to allow
verbal abuse of the lower social status losers. We would reap only what we
could sow. More lower social status losers. And of course that would mean
affluent families for the most part would disappear in a generation. No more
double standards. No more victimizations. No more pep rallies. No more
victory celebrations. No more gloating. No more winners - just losers.

Everyone would be assigned to the lower loser social class. The best of all
possible worlds, wouldn't you think, Tom?

skip

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:11:38 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
>> the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution.
>> The school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the
>> privileged (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families)
>> to constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
>> students.
>> Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.

>That is about the most absurd and pathetic explanation of a massacre I have
>ever read

Tommy must have spent part of Friday in the dumpster again...

skip wrote:

> Well from reading your post I'm thinking if everyone had lower loser social
> status then there would be no privileged athletes, no popular students from
> affluent families (the punk Goth loser killers were from affluent families
> too as I recall), and no school authorities to share the blame or to allow
> verbal abuse of the lower social status losers. We would reap only what we
> could sow. More lower social status losers. And of course that would mean
> affluent families for the most part would disappear in a generation. No more
> double standards. No more victimizations. No more pep rallies. No more
> victory celebrations. No more gloating. No more winners - just losers.
>
> Everyone would be assigned to the lower loser social class. The best of all
> possible worlds, wouldn't you think, Tom?

When I was in primary education, I witnessed many instances of double
standards. If one of the students that had parents that were "nobodies"
(and/or were themselves of the lower social status among the student
population) physically assaulted another student they would be punished
by suspensions of various lengths, put in special classes for disruptive
students, etc. Yet several students who were starters in sports that had
parents with prominent positions in the community were allowed to punch,
shove, and verbally abuse less popular students on a regular basis with
no intervention from school authorities.

While retaliation with deadly force is not morally justified in such
instances, the temptation to use it is certainly justified.

We see this on a larger scale, where nations proclaim their moral
goodness, but then commit military and economic violence against weaker
nations. Then the citizens of the abusing nations suffer "shock and
horror" when someone hits back.

It is long past time for people with privilege to gain some empathy for
how their actions affect others. It is rather unbecoming to behave in an
immoral manner, and them complain about the immoral retributive actions
of others.

--
Tom Sherman - [ ]

Zippy the Pinhead wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:11:38 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>While the punishment of death was too severe for their sins, several of
>>>the "victims" at Columbine had done plenty to provoke the retribution.
>>>The school authorities share some of the blame for allowing the
>>>privileged (i.e. athletes, popular students from more affluent families)
>>>to constantly engage in physical and verbal abuse of lower social status
>>>students.
>>>Ye who sow the wind shall reap the storm.

>>That is about the most absurd and pathetic explanation of a massacre I have
>>ever read

> Tommy must have spent part of Friday in the dumpster again...

I would do no such thing, as it would scare the cute little raccoons
that like to forage for food in the dumpster.

--
Tom Sherman - [ ]

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> skip wrote:
>
>> Well from reading your post I'm thinking if everyone had lower loser
>> social status then there would be no privileged athletes, no popular
>> students from affluent families (the punk Goth loser killers were from
>> affluent families too as I recall), and no school authorities to share
>> the blame or to allow verbal abuse of the lower social status losers. We
>> would reap only what we could sow. More lower social status losers. And
>> of course that would mean affluent families for the most part would
>> disappear in a generation. No more double standards. No more
>> victimizations. No more pep rallies. No more victory celebrations. No
>> more gloating. No more winners - just losers.
>>
>> Everyone would be assigned to the lower loser social class. The best of
>> all possible worlds, wouldn't you think, Tom?

> When I was in primary education, I witnessed many instances of double
> standards. If one of the students that had parents that were "nobodies"
> (and/or were themselves of the lower social status among the student
> population) physically assaulted another student they would be punished by
> suspensions of various lengths, put in special classes for disruptive
> students, etc. Yet several students who were starters in sports that had
> parents with prominent positions in the community were allowed to punch,
> shove, and verbally abuse less popular students on a regular basis with no
> intervention from school authorities.

Mr. Sherman is right about a few things whenever he gets serious. There is
damn little justice in this world. But if there is SOME justice in this
world, that is about as good as it gets. Most religions arose from this very
complaint. Since there is no justice in this world, there will be nothing
but perfect justice in the world to come after this one when we pass on.
Mankind has been complaining about the lack of justice in this world from
the beginning of time. However, we see from the Soviet example (communism)
that they insure even less justice for men than do democracies (capitalism).

> While retaliation with deadly force is not morally justified in such
> instances, the temptation to use it is certainly justified.
>
> We see this on a larger scale, where nations proclaim their moral
> goodness, but then commit military and economic violence against weaker
> nations. Then the citizens of the abusing nations suffer "shock and
> horror" when someone hits back.

Mr. Sherman is no doubt thinking of such nations as the former Nazi Germany
and Imperial Japan and certainly not the US. We are a democracy and it is
well nigh impossible to get a democracy to go to war. In fact, democracies
are dragged kicking and screaming into war. All aggression comes from
non-democracies. All democracies ever want to do is to live in peace and
prosper. This can in fact be a fatal flaw of democracies.

> It is long past time for people with privilege to gain some empathy for
> how their actions affect others. It is rather unbecoming to behave in an
> immoral manner, and them complain about the immoral retributive actions of
> others.

Mr. Sherman would have made an excellent preacher. He would have excoriated
others to be better than they want to be. I too would have made an excellent
preacher, but I would have come at them from the opposite direction. I would
have instilled the fear of God into them by telling them how deserving they
were of Hell because of their sinfulness. Mr. Sherman would preach hope and
love and I would preach despair and fear. Between the two of us, we would
have a good and moral flock.

--
Regards,

Saint Edward - Order of the Perpetual Miseries - Minnesota