Okay, I tried Hebrew National Hot dogs

Doc

Guest
After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of gristle.
Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made only out of
"true cuts of meat".

On 2004-03-16, Doc <[email protected]> wrote:
> After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
> tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
> though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
> gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made
> only out of "true cuts of meat".

Pro: No bizarre organ meats. I'm a gout sufferer and never
have a problem with HN products.

Con: Cooking by any dry method (grill, microwave, etc)
will severely shrink HN dogs. Best cook by wet method
(boil, steam).

nb

>After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
>tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
>though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of gristle.
>Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made only out of
>"true cuts of meat".

We use HN hotdogs, most other hotdogs have dairy ... for us
the only hold back is the cost. There is a kosher hotdog
that is sold by GFS that is almost as good (even better when
cooked on the grill) and the cost is far less. They freeze
very well.

~Kat

www.marchforchoice.org

In rec.food.cooking Doc <[email protected]> wrote:
> After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
> tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
> though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
> gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made
> only out of "true cuts of meat".

True cuts of meat can contain gristle.

Doc wrote:

> After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
> tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
> though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
> gristle.

That's truly odd. I've been eating them for 20 or more years
and never once came across any gristle.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:53:12 GMT, "Doc"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
>tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
>though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of gristle.
>Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made only out of
>"true cuts of meat".

All cuts of meat have gristle or sinew on them somewhere.
Also note that up to 20% of the contents of hotdogs can be
made from mechanically separated beef - which is the process
that strips gristle and tendon (but not achilles tendon)
from bones - without being labeled as such.

-sw

In article <PPy5c.23971$SR1.32439@attbi_s04>,
notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Con: Cooking by any dry method (grill, microwave, etc)
> will severely shrink HN dogs. Best cook by wet method
> (boil, steam).

Try their knockwurst--I think it's better than the hot dogs.

Also, if you can find them try Shofar hot dogs; ever
since HN moved their operations from NYC (to Illinois, is
it?) their quality dropped, and I think Shofar now has
the edge in taste.

please mail OT responses only

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-03-16, Doc
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
> > tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
> > though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
> > gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made
> > only out of "true cuts of meat".
>
> Pro: No bizarre organ meats. I'm a gout sufferer and never
> have a problem with HN products.
>
> Con: Cooking by any dry method (grill, microwave, etc)
> will severely shrink HN dogs.

So what? All you're losing is water? I like them grilled
over an open fire or at home broiled.

> Best cook by wet method (boil, steam).

Yeah, they may be plumper but you lose flavor and natural
juices to the boiling water. Broiling or grilling is best.
And besides that gives you a nice crispy skin. I actually
like my a little burnt. I like the flavor of the charred
areas. Boiling is so wimpy. ;-) And then you have a pot to
wash on top of everything else!

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

On 03/16/2004 11:17 AM, in article [email protected], "Steve
Wertz" <[email protected]> opined:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 07:53:12 GMT, "Doc"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
>> tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
>> though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
>> gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made
>> only out of "true cuts of meat".
>
> All cuts of meat have gristle or sinew on them somewhere.
> Also note that up to 20% of the contents of hotdogs can be
> made from mechanically separated beef -

And God knows what else.

which is the process that strips
> gristle and tendon (but not achilles tendon) from bones -
> without being labeled as such.
>
> -sw

> In rec.food.cooking Doc
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs, I
> > tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste great,
> > though I did encounter a couple of small pieces of
> > gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being made
> > only out of "true cuts of meat".
>
> True cuts of meat can contain gristle.

Does HN contain nitrates or preservatives Channeltool

[email protected] (Scott) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <PPy5c.23971$SR1.32439@attbi_s04>, notbob
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Con: Cooking by any dry method (grill, microwave, etc)
>> will severely shrink HN dogs. Best cook by wet method
>> (boil, steam).
>
> Try their knockwurst--I think it's better than the
> hot dogs.
>
> Also, if you can find them try Shofar hot dogs; ever since
> HN moved their operations from NYC (to Illinois, is it?)
> their quality dropped, and I think Shofar now has the edge
> in taste.

Shofar is a product line of "Best's Kosher Foods", which
also includes "Best's", "Oscherwitz" and "Sinai Kosher".

Their "Best's" brand hot dogs are available here; I haven't
run across the other brands.

Believe it or not, the whole outfit is owned by Sara Lee!

http://www.bests-kosher.com/

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | [email protected]

On 16 Mar 2004 16:30:54 -0800, [email protected] (channeltool)
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In rec.food.cooking Doc
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > After replies to my previous query regarding hot dogs,
>> > I tried some Hebrew National hot dogs. They taste
>> > great, though I did encounter a couple of small pieces
>> > of gristle. Seems incongrous with them allegedly being
>> > made only out of "true cuts of meat".
>>
>> True cuts of meat can contain gristle.
>
>Does HN contain nitrates or preservatives Channeltool

Yup... I just read the label.

--
Kenneth

On 2004-03-16, Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yeah, they may be plumper but you lose flavor and natural
> juices to the boiling water.

It's not like I'd boil 'em for half an hour. Hotdogs are
already cooked so you're only heating 'em up. By time you
hit boiling temps, they're ready to eat. I usually nuke
hotdogs, but HN's mummify almost instantly.

nb

[snip]
> > note that up to 20% of the contents of hotdogs can be
> > made from mechanically separated beef -
>

> And God knows what else.
===================================
At least with Hebrew National I'm certain He does know. Lynn
from Fargo said piously
=====================================

Best is sold at Sam's and Sinai is sold at Costco
"Bert Hyman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Scott) wrote in news:heimdall-9C47B6.11190116032004@news4-
> ge1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:
>
> > In article <PPy5c.23971$SR1.32439@attbi_s04>, notbob
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Con: Cooking by any dry method (grill, microwave, etc)
> >> will severely shrink HN dogs. Best cook by wet method
> >> (boil, steam).
> >
> > Try their knockwurst--I think it's better than the
> > hot dogs.
> >
> > Also, if you can find them try Shofar hot dogs; ever
> > since HN moved their operations from NYC (to Illinois,
> > is it?) their quality dropped, and I think Shofar now
> > has the edge in taste.
>
> Shofar is a product line of "Best's Kosher Foods", which
> also includes "Best's", "Oscherwitz" and "Sinai Kosher".
>
> Their "Best's" brand hot dogs are available here; I
> haven't run across the other brands.
>
> Believe it or not, the whole outfit is owned by Sara Lee!
>
> http://www.bests-kosher.com/
>
> --
> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | [email protected]

I highly recommend Niman Ranch's "Fearless Franks" -
expensive, but worth it. They sell them at Trader Joe's and
Whole Foods. You can also order them online at
nimanranch.com, but Trader Joe's is cheaper by about $1.50
plus shipping!

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/

T E wrote:

> Only hot dogs worth eating. Be sure to purchase the
> natural casing ones. http://www.koegelmeats.com/products/

Do you folks realize you are advertising locally made
(and only locally distributed) products to people all
over the world?

gloria p

notbob wrote:

> On 2004-03-16, Kate Connally <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, they may be plumper but you lose flavor and
> > natural juices to the boiling water.
>
> It's not like I'd boil 'em for half an hour. Hotdogs are
> already cooked so you're only heating 'em up. By time you
> hit boiling temps, they're ready to eat. I usually nuke
> hotdogs, but HN's mummify almost instantly.

That's because HN are not pumped full of extra water to make
them "plump" when cooked (and also to increase their weight
so we pay more for less meat) as are most other hotdogs.
That would account for them being more prone to drying out
when nuked. However, I must disagree about the instant
mummification in any case, as I have, on rare occasions,
nuked a HN and did not experience this phenomenon.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That's because HN are not pumped full of extra water to
> make them "plump" when cooked (and also to increase their
> weight so we pay more for less meat) as are most other
> hotdogs.

No, they just put 7 in a package instead of 8 and charge
a premium price for them anyway. I've never seen hotdogs
packed in an odd number before. Most packages of buns
come in 8.