Okay, I tried Hebrew National Hot dogs

Nancy Young wrote:

> Bill Seurer wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet full
>> > of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not much
>> > different, all that was missing was the bun and the
>> > condiments, what the hell.
>>
>> That's a staple food of bachelorhood...
>
> (laugh) Thanks, that sounds about right. I'd just never
> seen such a thing.

My mother calls it "Bow-wow Bean Bake", which I suppose is
marginally better than "Beanie-Weinies"

--jkb

--
"Grandma taught me never to judge a species by their eating
habits."

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:20:15 -0600, Bill Seurer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet full
> > of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not much
> > different, all that was missing was the bun and the
> > condiments, what the hell.
>
> That's a staple food of bachelorhood...

My condolences to you. Cold pizza sounds better.

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Daniel Solomon wrote:
> >

> > You could also think outside the bun, and use the couple
> > of extra hotdogs and make some franks and beans.
>
> Ew! Yuck!
>
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally

I don't have a lot of respect for James Beard as a cook, but
a lot of people
do. He was a big fan of beans and franks. Here is his
recipe. I have to admit that it is very good.

Charlie

JAMES BEARD'S FRANKFURTERS AND BEANS

Recipe by: James Beard

2 cups white beans (Great Northern, cannellini, or pea
beans) water salt 1 onion stuck with cloves 4 tbs. butter 2
garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 large onion, finely chopped
4 tbs. butter 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
3/4 cup catsup salt pepper 8 to 10 frankfurters

Cover the beans with cold water, bring to a boil and then
let rest 1 hour. Simmer with the salt and onion stuck with
cloves until tender. Drain them, reserving about 1 cup
liquid and discarding the onion and cloves.

While the beans are simmering, sauté the garlic and chopped
onion in 4 tbs. butter. When they are just soft add the
tomatoes and let them cook down until rather thickish. Add
the catsup, pepper and salt, if needed.

Combine the sauce with the drained beans, 4 tbs. butter and
reserved liquid and reheat. Heat the frankfurters through in
boiling water. Spoon the beans into a hot, deep platter.
Surround with the frankfurters. Serve with mustard, a hearty
salad and crisp rolls.

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Daniel Solomon wrote:
> >
> > Ranee Mueller <[email protected]> wrote in
> > [email protected]:

> > > Well, you could make them yourself. Unless someone
> > > else brings
> > them,
> > > or we are having over 20 people over to grill hotdogs,
> > > we just make up the dough and shape and bake them.
> > > Fresh, warm, tasty, and much nicer than storebought.
> >
> > You could also think outside the bun, and use the couple
> > of extra hotdogs and make some franks and beans.
>
> Ew! Yuck!
>
> Kate

Nothing shouts 'I just got laid off' like serving franks and
beans at a gathering.

Jack Unemployment

Nancy Young wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
>> Daniel Solomon wrote:
>

>>> You could also think outside the bun, and use the
>>> couple of extra hotdogs and make some franks and beans.
>>

>> Ew! Yuck!
>

> (laugh!) That just reminded me of a long ago memory ...
> my ex said we were having hot dogs and beans for dinner.
> Fine. You know, a
hot dog on a bun with relish and mustard, and a little pile
of
> baked beans.
>
> Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet full
> of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not much
> different, all that was missing was the bun and the
> condiments, what the hell. Just sure wasn't what I was
> expecting. Hey, when you're dirt poor, having
food on the table ain't such a disappointment.

> nancy

The last time I went to a house warming party (in one of
the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan), one of the
dishes served by waiters, was cocktail franks in Boston
beans. There was also caviar and pate de foie gras, giant
shrimps and other such foods, but the franks were the hit
of the party.

Since then, I have had a package of Hebrew National cocktail
franks in the freezer and a large can of Boston beans in my
cupboard, but I have not had a chance to use them yet.

Every year for New Years Eve, I go to a party, hosted by a
real gourmet cook. No matter what other appetizers and hors
d'oeuvres there are, she always prepares mini franks in the
blanket. The one time she did not, her guests complained and
made her promise never to to omit that dish again. :eek:)

"Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Kate Connally wrote:

> >> Ew! Yuck!
> >

> > (laugh!) That just reminded me of a long ago memory ...
> > my ex said we were having hot dogs and beans for
> > dinner. Fine. You know, a
> hot dog on a bun with relish and mustard, and a
> little pile of
> > baked beans.
> >
> > Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet full
> > of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not much
> > different, all that was missing was the bun and the
> > condiments, what the hell. Just sure wasn't what I was
> > expecting. Hey, when you're dirt poor, having
> food on the table ain't such a disappointment.
> >
> > nancy
>

> The last time I went to a house warming party (in one of
> the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan), one of the
> dishes served by waiters, was cocktail franks in Boston
> beans. There was also caviar and pate de foie gras, giant
> shrimps and other such foods, but the franks were the hit
> of the party.
>
> Since then, I have had a package of Hebrew National
> cocktail franks in the freezer and a large can of Boston
> beans in my cupboard, but I have not had a chance to use
> them yet.
>
> Every year for New Years Eve, I go to a party, hosted by a
> real gourmet cook. No matter what other appetizers and
> hors d'oeuvres there are, she always prepares mini franks
> in the blanket. The one time she did not, her guests
> complained and made her promise never to to omit that dish
> again. :eek:)

It goes to show ya, no matter how elite an affair, they'll
all dive into the comfort food!

Jack Spam

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > (laugh!) That just reminded me of a long ago memory ...
> > my ex said we were having hot dogs and beans for
> > dinner. Fine. You know, a
> hot dog on a bun with relish and mustard, and a
> little pile of
> > baked beans.
> >
> > Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet full
> > of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not much
> > different, all that was missing was the bun and the
> > condiments, what the hell. Just sure wasn't what I was
> > expecting. Hey, when you're dirt poor, having
> food on the table ain't such a disappointment.

> The last time I went to a house warming party (in one of
> the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan), one of the
> dishes served by waiters, was cocktail franks in Boston
> beans. There was also caviar and pate de foie gras, giant
> shrimps and other such foods, but the franks were the hit
> of the party.

Isn't that funny. Reminds me of going to this posh wedding
and the waiter came around with potato skins. I stopped
being embarrassed that I loved potato skins. Now, they're on
every menu, no big deal.

> Since then, I have had a package of Hebrew National
> cocktail franks in the freezer and a large can of Boston
> beans in my cupboard, but I have not had a chance to use
> them yet.
>
> Every year for New Years Eve, I go to a party, hosted by a
> real gourmet cook. No matter what other appetizers and
> hors d'oeuvres there are, she always prepares mini franks
> in the blanket. The one time she did not, her guests
> complained and made her promise never to to omit that dish
> again. :eek:)

(laugh) Hey, I love those things. I admit it. Used to love
those cocktail meatballs, too, until someone ruined them
with grape jelly.

nancy

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Daniel Solomon wrote:
> > >

> > > You could also think outside the bun, and use the
> > > couple of extra hotdogs and make some franks and
> > > beans.
> >
> > Ew! Yuck!
> >
> > Kate
> >
> > --
> > Kate Connally
>
> I don't have a lot of respect for James Beard as a cook,
> but a lot of people
> do. He was a big fan of beans and franks. Here is his
> recipe. I have to admit that it is very good.
>
> Charlie
>
> JAMES BEARD'S FRANKFURTERS AND BEANS
>
> Recipe by: James Beard
>
> 2 cups white beans (Great Northern, cannellini, or pea
> beans) water salt 1 onion stuck with cloves 4 tbs. butter
> 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 large onion, finely
> chopped 4 tbs. butter 2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
> 3/4 cup catsup salt pepper 8 to 10 frankfurters
>
> Cover the beans with cold water, bring to a boil and then
> let rest 1 hour. Simmer with the salt and onion stuck with
> cloves until tender. Drain them, reserving about 1 cup
> liquid and discarding the onion and cloves.
>
> While the beans are simmering, sauté the garlic and
> chopped onion in 4 tbs. butter. When they are just soft
> add the tomatoes and let them cook down until rather
> thickish. Add the catsup, pepper and salt, if needed.
>
> Combine the sauce with the drained beans, 4 tbs. butter
> and reserved liquid and reheat. Heat the frankfurters
> through in boiling water. Spoon the beans into a hot, deep
> platter. Surround with the frankfurters. Serve with
> mustard, a hearty salad and crisp rolls.

Ah, well, that's a little different. Still not something I
would make but I'd probably eat it and enjoy it if someone
served it to me. I'm assuming here that one uses "gourmet"
hotdogs and not Oscar Meyer. I just can't tolerate those low-
class hotdogs. Give me Hebrew National or give me death!

Kate
--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

Margaret Suran wrote:

> The last time I went to a house warming party (in one of
> the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan), one of the
> dishes served by waiters, was cocktail franks in Boston
> beans. There was also caviar and pate de foie gras, giant
> shrimps and other such foods, but the franks were the hit
> of the party.

I didn't know HN made cocktail franks! They would make
awesome whatchmacallits - you know, those tiny hotdogs
wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough. I *love* those
things. I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself. But I
think they're great!

> Since then, I have had a package of Hebrew National
> cocktail franks in the freezer and a large can of Boston
> beans in my cupboard, but I have not had a chance to use
> them yet.

My problem with the beans n franks thing is even if you use
HN cocktail franks you're still using canned beans. I really
find canned "baked" beans of any sort disgusting. Now what
would be good is putting them in my own homemade from
scratch Boston-style baked beans. Yum.

> Every year for New Years Eve, I go to a party, hosted by a
> real gourmet cook. No matter what other appetizers and
> hors d'oeuvres there are, she always prepares mini franks
> in the blanket. The one time she did not, her guests
> complained and made her promise never to to omit that dish
> again. :eek:)

The hostess with the mostest. Can I please have her address?
Tell her to make lots of those things, next year. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

"Jack Schidt®" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> "Margaret Suran" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message news:[email protected]...
>>

>> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > (laugh!) That just reminded me of a long ago memory
>> > ... my ex said we were having hot dogs and beans for
>> > dinner. Fine. You know, a
>> hot dog on a bun with relish and mustard, and a little
>> pile of
>> > baked beans.
>> >
>> > Imagine my surprise to come home and see a skillet
>> > full of beans with cut up hot dogs. Oh. Well, it's not
>> > much different, all that was missing was the bun and
>> > the condiments, what the hell. Just sure wasn't what I
>> > was expecting. Hey, when you're dirt poor, having
>> food on the table ain't such a disappointment.
>> >
>> > nancy
>>

>> The last time I went to a house warming party (in one of
>> the most prestigious buildings in Manhattan), one of the
>> dishes served by waiters, was cocktail franks in Boston
>> beans. There was also caviar and pate de foie gras, giant
>> shrimps and other such foods, but the franks were the hit
>> of the party.
>>
>> Since then, I have had a package of Hebrew National
>> cocktail franks in the freezer and a large can of Boston
>> beans in my cupboard, but I have not had a chance to use
>> them yet.
>>
>> Every year for New Years Eve, I go to a party, hosted by
>> a real gourmet cook. No matter what other appetizers and
>> hors d'oeuvres there are, she always prepares mini franks
>> in the blanket. The one time she did not, her guests
>> complained and made her promise never to to omit that
>> dish again. :eek:)
>>

> It goes to show ya, no matter how elite an affair, they'll
> all dive into the comfort food!
>
> Jack Spam

Always. One thing I have to have, regardless of the menu is
deviled eggs. For some reason they're the first to go. Even
if my dinner is a fancy one.

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

Dog3 wrote:

> Always. One thing I have to have, regardless of the menu
> is deviled eggs. For some reason they're the first to go.
> Even if my dinner is a fancy one.

Mmmmmmm. Deviled Eggs. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

~john

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ah, well, that's a little different. Still not something
> I would make but I'd probably eat it and enjoy it if
> someone served it to me. I'm assuming here that one uses
> "gourmet" hotdogs and not Oscar Meyer. I just can't
> tolerate those low-class hotdogs. Give me Hebrew National
> or give me death!
>
> Kate

Actually, I think he was meaning German style Frankfurters.
At least that is what I use for this recipe. I get them from
my German sausage maker.

Charlie

Kate Connally wrote:

> I really find canned "baked" beans of any sort
> disgusting.

Have you looked around a bit? There are some really
good brands.

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ah, well, that's a little different. Still not something
> > I would make but I'd probably eat it and enjoy it if
> > someone served it to me. I'm assuming here that one uses
> > "gourmet" hotdogs and not Oscar Meyer. I just can't
> > tolerate those low-class hotdogs. Give me Hebrew
> > National or give me death!
> >
> > Kate
>
> Actually, I think he was meaning German style
> Frankfurters. At least that is what I use for this recipe.
> I get them from my German sausage maker.
>
> Charlie

Oh, well, that's okay then. :) Kate

--

Bill Seurer wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
>
> > I really find canned "baked" beans of any sort
> > disgusting.
>
> Have you looked around a bit? There are some really
> good brands.

I've tried many different varieties of canned "baked" beans
over my long life. They are one and all lousy. My main
complaint is the mushiness of the beans. This comes from the
way they are cooked in order to be mass produced and canned.
Also, for the most part, the "sauce" is never very great. I
can tolerate, sometimes, Bush's beans that have been
doctored up. The flavor is okay but there is really no way
you can make the beans less mushy and that is what really
spoils them for me.

Kate