Okay, so lets hear about those intervals !

edd said:
Our spin bikes are 8 years old and up for replacement as soon as the bean counters let us. Trying to talk them into these.

http://www.keiser.com/m3/index.html

have a power meter !

Looks pretty nice. Can you download the power file?

I like this one: http://www.saris.com/p-315-pro-300pt.aspx

I own a cardgirus but don't like it that much - no ability to export power files and the power "measurement" is rather inaccurate (at least so it seems).

Miscreant said:
I was under the impression that most people will do 3 min intervals for vo2max at something like 120-130% FTP with 3 min recovery, 4-6 efforts.

120% to 130% FTP gets you more into anaerobic capacity land and less in VO2 max land (although of course there is overlap).

beerco said:
running economy more effectively than 30-30 and 60-60? .

There is a hugely difference between 30-30 (or 40-20) and 60-60.

60-60 are very anerobic, you produce more power doing these then 40/20s

Due to the limited recovery 40-20 are performed at less a power production. I can't quantify this.

beerco said:
120% to 130% FTP gets you more into anaerobic capacity land and less in VO2 max land (although of course there is overlap).
so what % of FTP would you perscribe if i was to do 3-5 min intervals with 1:1 rest? aiming for vo2max workout.

beerco said:
Looks pretty nice. Can you download the power file?

I like this one: http://www.saris.com/p-315-pro-300pt.aspx

I own a cardgirus but don't like it that much - no ability to export power files and the power "measurement" is rather inaccurate (at least so it seems).

I own a Lemond Revmaster, no power meter, very quiet, very fine resistance adjustment can select a HR an dial it up. I use it for recovery spins.…30 min in the morning, I do these at set cadences for different days, have a metronome

Miscreant said:
so what % of FTP would you perscribe if i was to do 3-5 min intervals with 1:1 rest? aiming for vo2max workout.

I actually had it in another post in this same thread.

I do 6x5 minute intervals starting at 115%FTP sometimes up to 120% as I get stronger (my AWC seems pretty decent). I do a 4 minute recovery just to save a little time over a 5 min recovery (edit: the extra minute doesn't seem to help much).

To clarify even more, for the very first session of the year I start at 115% of FTP for the first 4 intervals. If I have it in my, I shoot for 5 to 10w more on the last two. If I can do that without problem, I'll use that number as the starting point for the next session the key being that the power should be low enough that I can complete all 6 intervals but still above 115%.

There have been plenty of sessions (maybe 1/4?) where I could not finish the 6th interval. I probably would have been better off doing the other 5 at a slightly lower power to be able to complete the 6th.

Just to mix things up a bit:

I like to do 5 or 10 min and 20 or 30 min intervals on the road or on a hill. because of specificity of the adaptation.

I like the indoor trainer for 60 min or 120 min blocks of base work, recovery spins and for short intervals.

Anybody notice how indoor stuff doesn't always translate to outdoor performance ?

edd said:
Anybody notice how indoor stuff doesn't always translate to outdoor performance ?
hells yes. It's is soooo much more mentaly satisfying to actually be going somewhere, instead sitting in one spot staring out the window. Not to mention cooling yourself isn't artifical.

edd said:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that fitness gained indoors doesn't translate to higher performance outdoors?

Personally, I find that after 3 months pounding on the trainer that I am usually far stronger than my friends who have been riding outdoors over the same time period. While the wattages may not match exactly, an improvement in one definitely translates to an improvement in the other, for me.

frenchyge said:
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that fitness gained indoors doesn't translate to higher performance outdoors?

Personally, I find that after 3 months pounding on the trainer that I am usually far stronger than my friends who have been riding outdoors over the same time period. While the wattages may not match exactly, an improvement in one definitely translates to an improvement in the other, for me.
Seems to be working for me as well. My group got a taste of it on Saturday within the last mile +/- to the parking lot.:D

Felt_Rider said:
Seems to be working for me as well. My group got a taste of it on Saturday within the last mile +/- to the parking lot.:D
You're so ready for the Power Tap. Wait till you track a couple of group rides in your ride files and then maintain the group pace about 10-15 watts above normal pace. Then, after they suck on your wheel dying for the better part of the ride, you can really hurt them with that last mile. Of course, it completely violates all group etiquite and probably isn't great training for you if you do it consistently, but it cannot help but give you some perverse pleasure, if you do it once or twice. If you do it a third time on the same ride, though, you are officially a ****. :cool:

kopride said:
You're so ready for the Power Tap. Wait till you track a couple of group rides in your ride files and then maintain the group pace about 10-15 watts above normal pace. Then, after they suck on your wheel dying for the better part of the ride, you can really hurt them with that last mile. Of course, it completely violates all group etiquite and probably isn't great training for you if you do it consistently, but it cannot help but give you some perverse pleasure, if you do it once or twice. If you do it a third time on the same ride, though, you are officially a ****. :cool:
I think I got a warning before Saturday's ride :D
It was a subtle statement. Like, "do think you can control yourself this time."

I justified it well before the end and gave them a warning that I was going to take off and "empty the tank" before the end. They tried to drop me first on a hill descent because I am still nursing a separated shoulder and still am skittish descending, but once it flattened out all rules and etiquite were thrown out.

Of course I would not try that with any of you guys. :)

edd said:
Just to mix things up a bit:

I like to do 5 or 10 min and 20 or 30 min intervals on the road or on a hill. because of specificity of the adaptation.

I like the indoor trainer for 60 min or 120 min blocks of base work, recovery spins and for short intervals.

aye- and that's a sure sign of doing too many intervals, aka, high-intensity this time of year (assume no racing until April or so) :D .

I'm just a pure TT'r so the interval for me is what comes after warmup and before cooldown. Steady-state baby :D.

Felt_Rider said:
So the ladies aren't making fun of you anymore? Congrats! :D

frenchyge said:
So the ladies aren't making fun of you anymore? Congrats! :D
Only lagging behind a couple of "Racer Chicks" in our local rides, but the view ain't bad so maybe I won't improve so quickly :D

Joke - Since Lucy isn't here maybe I can get away with that comment

Felt_Rider said:
Only lagging behind a couple of "Racer Chicks" in our local rides, but the view ain't bad so maybe I won't improve so quickly :D

Joke - Since Lucy isn't here maybe I can get away with that comment
The infamous "clam shot" can be a great motivator during a standing hill climb.

frenchyge said:
Ugh.... I knew I shouldn't have left that door open.
Boys will be boys. As penance, I promise that I will stay ahead:D

As for the original question, for me it has been a winter so far of 2 x 20s, with some longer intervals (30-50) thrown in for fun. Once we get closer to summer, I like two sets of alternating over/under FTP intervals (2 minute 90% under) and (1 minute 115%+) each interval of about 15 minutes. I do some escalating hill intervals of about (5 x 5 minutes each, last two minutes out of the saddle). I also like 2 or 3 interval pyramids separated with equal rest periods going from 30 seconds to 3 minutes and back down, all out (60, 90, 120, 150, 180, 150, etc). I also like to do "commerical" intervals on longer tempo rides where I throw on a TV show and then do a 115% interval during every commercial.

frenchyge said:

Fitness gained indoor is certainly very valuable and if you are training smart even be better than the road rides

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=5392

From the Zone 3 thread. The thing is, if you're training smart, your fitness gains will be exceedingly good. That said, back on the road, first real hill, specificity of the training is not there.

edd said:
Fitness gained indoor is certainly very valuable and if you are training smart even be better than the road rides

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=5392

From the Zone 3 thread. The thing is, if you're training smart, your fitness gains will be exceedingly good. That said, back on the road, first real hill, specificity of the training is not there.
What? A Watt is a Watt. Do your typical hills outdoors with a PM and then run some hill intervals using the same power levels. You could also calculate the watts used with your cyclocomputer and some knowlege of grade, and then use some conversion.

You certainly don't learn how to handle a bike indoors, or some of the other techinical aspects of cycling, but you can do hill specific training indoors.