Okay...So What's A Good Tail Light?

NYC XYZ

Guest
That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

NYC XYZ wrote:

> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

Cheap blinkie.

Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

NYC XYZ wrote:

> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

Cheap blinkie.

Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

"Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in news:9kACf.2238$Jg.1167
@tornado.socal.rr.com:

> NYC XYZ wrote:
>
>> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
>> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

> Cheap blinkie.
>
> Bill "same to you, buddy!" S.

I like the Cateye LD500-RC.

It has two modes; blinking and solid.
in the blinking mode it blinks in triple bink sets (like the morse code
"S" over and over) and runs just about forever (100 hours) on two AAA
batteries.

It comes with a quick release seat post mount and a belt clip.

It also meets the C.P.S.C. (Consumer Product Safety Commission) regulations
as a reflector.

See:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1511

Rich

NYC XYZ wrote:
> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down.

Gotta link as to where these are available?

> But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
one steady.

> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
cash for a car.....

The Wogster wrote:

> Gotta link as to where these are available?

The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

> A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
> one steady.

Now there's an idea! Hmm....

> I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
> popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
> cash for a car.....

The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
-- to be seen.

I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

And these?

www.hokeyspokes.com

The Wogster wrote:

> Gotta link as to where these are available?

The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

> A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
> one steady.

Now there's an idea! Hmm....

NYC XYZ wrote:
> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?
>
> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

Don't get the el-cheapo blinkies. Three reasons. They are not
well-constructed, not bright, and don't have a good angle of view.

"http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=101&subcategory=1068&brand=&sku=12860&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename="

Yes, that's a great headlight, but ouch, $500?!

NYC XYZ wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>

>>Gotta link as to where these are available?

> The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

Hmmm, US$529 add on $40 for customs, convert into beaver bucks, that's
$654 add on the Gouging and Screwing Tax that's $700 for a light, nearly
3 times what I spent on the bike (year end distributors clearance, I
gotta *really* good deal). I think that's a little pricey....

>>A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
>>one steady.

> Now there's an idea! Hmm....

When I put lights on mine, I'll get a pair of $7 rear lights, and run
them that way, since I have an MTB with the seat way up there, there is
lots of seatpost space. Nice thing about running two rear lights, is
that if the batteries die on one, the other is still running...

>>I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
>>popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
>>cash for a car.....

> The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
> -- to be seen.
>
> I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
> psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

Can have the opposite effect, remember, you hit what your looking at, so
as your watching the light show, you run over the bike it's attached
to....

> And these?
>
> www.hokeyspokes.com

Well, they got the hokey part right. The real issue in both cases
though, is you buy a nice light high quality bike, adding 25lbs of
batteries isn't a big benefit.

NYC XYZ wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>

>>Gotta link as to where these are available?

> The cheapest online seems to be for $529 at
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?sku=19467.

Hmmm, US$529 add on $40 for customs, convert into beaver bucks, that's
$654 add on the Gouging and Screwing Tax that's $700 for a light, nearly
3 times what I spent on the bike (year end distributors clearance, I
gotta *really* good deal). I think that's a little pricey....

>>A regular cheap tail light, best is actually 2 lights, one blinking and
>>one steady.

> Now there's an idea! Hmm....

When I put lights on mine, I'll get a pair of $7 rear lights, and run
them that way, since I have an MTB with the seat way up there, there is
lots of seatpost space. Nice thing about running two rear lights, is
that if the batteries die on one, the other is still running...

>>I thought such tube lights were stupid on cars.. I guess they would be
>>popular to the same kinda guys though, but ones that haven't got the
>>cash for a car.....

> The car lights are pure vanity. On bikes, they actually have an excuse
> -- to be seen.
>
> I so believe that the "halo effect" on the ground helps convey,
> psychologically, a sense of "space" to the driver.

Can have the opposite effect, remember, you hit what your looking at, so
as your watching the light show, you run over the bike it's attached
to....

> And these?
>
> www.hokeyspokes.com

Well, they got the hokey part right. The real issue in both cases
though, is you buy a nice light high quality bike, adding 25lbs of
batteries isn't a big benefit.

news:[email protected]...

Man, that **** is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
> about tail lights? Or are they just the same?
>
> And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

Man, that **** is the BOMB! I wonder how the red ones would go with my bike?

Hehehe...bike culture, indeed!

www.hokeyspokes.com