Okay, what am I doing wrong?

Joe S.

Guest
I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.

No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????

--

-----
Joe S.

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
>negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
>sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>
>No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
>break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
>for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????

Try missing the entrance to a highway overpass... or perhaps try to
slolom through bridge supports faster and faster. That might do it.
Just make sure to extend one arm as far as possible, and by all means
lock your elbow before you hit. You might want to wear ear plugs - I
understand the sound of a breaking bone can be a bit traumatic.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
>negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
>sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>
>No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
>break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
>for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????

Get your hands firmly out there to break your fall. Shouldn't be all
that tough. Practice, practice, practice....

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> writes:

> "Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
>>negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
>>sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>>
>>No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
>>break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
>>for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????

> Try missing the entrance to a highway overpass... or perhaps try to
> slolom through bridge supports faster and faster. That might do it.
> Just make sure to extend one arm as far as possible, and by all means
> lock your elbow before you hit. You might want to wear ear plugs - I
> understand the sound of a breaking bone can be a bit traumatic.

Good advice, but if you have a family, make sure you have a will first
in case you win the jackpot.

Joe S. wrote:
> I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
> negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
> sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>
> No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
> break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
> for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????
>
> --
>
> -----
> Joe S.

Buy an ace bandage. Put it on. Get the feel for it. After a while a
good story will come to mind. Tell it. Keep you eyes on dumpsters. When
you see a really whacked wheel, take it. Hang it in your place. Use it
to support the story.

Good luck,

Will

"Joe S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
> negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
> sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>
> No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong?

You rode too fast into soft sand.

Did you apply brakes? Perhaps you are applying too much front wheel
braking. ceteris paribus you will receive a great deal more braking force
from your front wheel than your rear which can cause an endo. So go easier
on the front brake.

--
'I may crack
But I'll never shatter' -meredith brooks

Joe S. wrote:
> I had my second wreck today -- once again, riding too fast, did not
> negotiate a right-left-right turn and the front wheel went into deep soft
> sand -- the rear wheel and I flew over the handle bars.
>
> No broken bones, no blood. What am I doing wrong? What do I need to do to
> break a collarbone and an arm so I can be a REAL cyclist? Maybe if I aimed
> for the sidewalk instead of landing in the sand????

No problemo. Keep tempting the Wreck Fairy and the situation will take
care of itself.

You're doing everything right. I broke my collar bone in soft sand
using your exact methods after only one crash. Try working on your
landing, it seems to be the problem.

Art