old Bianchi bicycle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Louis Danese, Mar 16, 2003.

  1. Louis Danese

    Louis Danese New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    Dear sir: I am a collectionist of Argentina,and the president of "The Classic Bicycle Association" ,the first one of its type in our country.We are 90 old bicycles in our Club,with 25 members.The bikes are Royal Enfield,Triumph,Vaterland,NSU,Humber,Bianchi,Schwinn,etc.
    In my private collection,I have 2 old Bianchi's:

    Bianchi 1953,wheels 28 x 1 5/8",for men.
    Bianchi series number 251,sport model,chain Regina,wheels 28 x 1 5/8" and Bowden brakes made in Italy. You know the year of this bike? (the cranks and pedals are not originals)

    best regards

    Louis Danese

    Tags:

  2. >Dear sir: I am a collectionist of Argentina,and the president of "The Classic Bicycle Association"

    snipped ..

    Why not email Bianchi to see if they can help direct.

    See http://www.bianchi.com/ and email [email protected]

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    >Why not email Bianchi to see if they can help direct

    FWIW, I was curious about a Bianchi cross frame, probably built in the 1980's... E-mailed Bianchi
    the serial number and asked if they could help by identifying the model, alloy and year of
    manufacture... they promptly and courteously replied it was impossible to tell this from the
    serial number!!!

    Coming from the aviation industry, where traceability is paramount, I found this simply astonishing.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  4. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > >Why not email Bianchi to see if they can help direct
    >
    > FWIW, I was curious about a Bianchi cross frame, probably built in the 1980's... E-mailed Bianchi
    > the serial number and asked if they could help by identifying the model, alloy and year of
    > manufacture... they promptly and courteously replied it was impossible to tell this from the
    > serial number!!!
    >
    > Coming from the aviation industry, where traceability is paramount, I found this simply
    > astonishing.

    IMO, the most likely reason for this answer is that the person who received the email didn't
    feel like digging through the manufacturing records to find the info, rather than it "not being
    available". Of course, it is also possible that some records were destroyed in a fire or
    similar disaster.

    it's morning".

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "MikeYankee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Why not email Bianchi to see if they can help direct
    >
    > FWIW, I was curious about a Bianchi cross frame, probably built in the 1980's... E-mailed Bianchi
    > the serial number and asked if they could help
    by
    > identifying the model, alloy and year of manufacture... they promptly and courteously replied it
    > was impossible to tell this from the serial
    number!!!

    > Coming from the aviation industry, where traceability is paramount, I
    found
    > this simply astonishing.

    The aviation industry is a different world from bicycles. A mission-critical part fails on an
    airplane, and it ends in a screaming fireball o' death. A mission-critical part fails on a bike, and
    maybe the rider gets a little road rash or eats dirt. The aviation industry is worried about
    lawsuits. The bike industry is worried about keeping the doors open and the employees paid.

    My father, my uncles and both of my grandfathers and many of my friends growing up all worked at
    Cessna, Beechcraft/Raytheon, Boeing and Learjet. Can you guess where I'm from?

    -Barry "No, not the famous one" Sanders

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    B. Sanders <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The aviation industry is a different world from bicycles. A mission-critical part fails on an
    >airplane, and it ends in a screaming fireball o' death. A mission-critical part fails on a bike,
    >and maybe the rider gets a little road rash or eats dirt. The aviation industry is worried about
    >lawsuits. The bike industry is worried about keeping the doors open and the employees paid.

    The cycling industry is plenty worried about lawsuits as well, and although they can't approach the
    scale of a major aircraft disaster, bicycle failures certainly can and do result in serious and/or
    permanent injury, death, and lawsuits. I'm sure if someone tears a fingernail on a brake lever there
    is an attorney in California willing to take the case.

    My bet is that Bianchi simply does not have easily accessible records going back that far, whereas
    if you asked them to identify the year and source of something more modern (ie, 20 years or less)
    they probably could tell you.

    They may very well have information about really old serial numbers as well but "I'm curious" may
    not be sufficient motivation for them to go look into it. Or the records may have been lost or
    destroyed.

    --Paul

  7. Louis Danese <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dear sir: I am a collectionist of Argentina,and the president of "The Classic Bicycle Association"
    > ,the first one of its type in our country.We are 90 old bicycles in our Club,with 25 members.The
    > bikes are Royal Enfield,Triumph,Vaterland,NSU,Humber,Bianchi,Schwinn,etc. In my private
    > collection,I have 2 old Bianchi's:
    >
    > Bianchi 1953,wheels 28 x 1 5/8",for men. Bianchi series number 251,sport model,chain Regina,wheels
    > 28 x 1 5/8" and Bowden brakes made in Italy. You know the year of this bike? (the cranks and
    > pedals are not originals)
    >
    > best regards
    >
    > Louis Danese

    Post your query in the appropriate group at http://oldroads.com/ Very useful site for obtaining