Old bike, bolt-on rear triangle

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Default User, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Hiya
    I'm looking for some info on an old bike i found at my local salvage yard.
    It looks really old (1920-30's) with wide rims, leather saddle, drop bars
    and seat stays which are secured by bolts at each end. Anyone got any idea
    what it is and whether it may be worth something?

    Chrres

    BlueRoo

    Tags:

  2. Charles

    Charles Guest

    Yea, try rec.bicycles.tech That is where the experts in that area hang out.
    We are just a bunch of adolescent, shaved leg anti-helmet pill popping Euro
    pro wannabees.
    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hiya
    > I'm looking for some info on an old bike i found at my local salvage yard.
    > It looks really old (1920-30's) with wide rims, leather saddle, drop bars
    > and seat stays which are secured by bolts at each end. Anyone got any idea
    > what it is and whether it may be worth something?
    >
    > Chrres
    >
    > BlueRoo

  3. "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hiya
    > I'm looking for some info on an old bike i found at my local salvage yard.
    > It looks really old (1920-30's) with wide rims, leather saddle, drop bars
    > and seat stays which are secured by bolts at each end. Anyone got any idea
    > what it is and whether it may be worth something?
    >
    > Chrres
    >
    > BlueRoo

    Hard to tell without some pictures.
    There could be several bikes like that.
    Many of the old Raliegh Roadsters (which were copied by the Dutch, Chinese
    Phoenix, and Indian Eastman companies) had bolt on seatstays.
    These were single speed or three speed bikes with a chaincase cover, the
    removeable seatstay made it easier to put on a new one piece chain (no
    masterlink) and or chain cover.
    So you need to look for markings as to brand and serial numbers and such.

  4. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    Charles wrote:
    > Yea, try rec.bicycles.tech That is where the experts in that area hang out.
    > We are just a bunch of adolescent, shaved leg anti-helmet pill popping Euro
    > pro wannabees.
    > >
    > > BlueRoo

    Another option might be to try asking Sheldon Brown.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/contact.html
    Bill C

  5. ray

    ray Guest

    Default User wrote:
    > Hiya
    > I'm looking for some info on an old bike i found at my local salvage yard.
    > It looks really old (1920-30's) with wide rims, leather saddle, drop bars
    > and seat stays which are secured by bolts at each end. Anyone got any idea
    > what it is and whether it may be worth something?
    >
    > Chrres
    >
    > BlueRoo

    Possibly not that old, I had a three speed with a similar arrangement in
    the late 1960s.

  6. Charles

    Charles Guest

    "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]glegroups.com...

    > Charles wrote:
    > > Yea, try rec.bicycles.tech That is where the experts in that area hang

    out.
    > > We are just a bunch of adolescent, shaved leg anti-helmet pill popping

    Euro
    > > pro wannabees.
    > > >
    > > > BlueRoo
    > > >

    > Another option might be to try asking Sheldon Brown.
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/contact.html
    > Bill C

    Guess what, Sir Sheldon Brown hangs out in rec.bicycles.tech. He might be a
    lurker here on slow days though.

  7. Default User

    Thanks for the feedback, my camera's broken so no photo yet but I'll keep
    plugging & try enigma that is Sheldon Brown

    Cheers

    BlueRoo

    news:[email protected]