old bike models

It'S Frothy Man

Guest
what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,

shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.

i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,not like his passengers,all screaming
and shouting

"it's frothy man !" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,
>
> shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.

Most of it seems to go quickly enough, though some shops carry on trying to sell off their old
models for quite some time after they're no longer made. Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme
operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as happens with newsagents and the
daily papers?

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

this is what i was wondering.

I've just seen a 1999 Scott catalogue and the Team Issue road bike looks nice. There must be some
somewhere unsold or whatever

i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,not like his passengers,all screaming
and shouting
"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "it's frothy man !" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,
> >
> > shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.
> >

> Most of it seems to go quickly enough, though some shops carry on trying to sell off their old
> models for quite some time after they're no longer made. Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme
> operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as happens with newsagents and the
> daily papers?
>
> David E. Belcher
>
> Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

In article <[email protected]>, David E. Belcher
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as
> happens with newsagents and the daily papers?

Not with any I have dealt with but a discount can usually be negotiated if you are buying reasonable
numbers of the new models.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

David E. Belcher wrote:
> Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as
> happens with newsagents and the daily papers?

I was in 'the trade' years ago. Theres no sale or return, to get a good supply & price of bikes thru
the season (late spring thru to autum for adult bikes) you have to place orders in december. If they
aren't going by late summer you start discounting, by winter you discount more, by next spring your
almost giving them away in a sale. You let staff have them at less than cost, you do one day sales.

The margins on bikes for small shops are very thin, less than almost anything else in the
high street.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

IME having worked in a bike shop for less than a year the old models pretty much *do* all get sold
off within a year or two - at correspondingly decreasing prices. It gets to the point where you'll
take a silly price just to get the bloody thing out the way.

Sam