old bike models

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by It'S Frothy Man, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,

    shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.

    i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,not like his passengers,all screaming
    and shouting

  2. "it's frothy man !" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,
    >
    > shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.

    Most of it seems to go quickly enough, though some shops carry on trying to sell off their old
    models for quite some time after they're no longer made. Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme
    operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as happens with newsagents and the
    daily papers?

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  3. this is what i was wondering.

    I've just seen a 1999 Scott catalogue and the Team Issue road bike looks nice. There must be some
    somewhere unsold or whatever

    i want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad,not like his passengers,all screaming
    and shouting
    "David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "it's frothy man !" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > what happens to old bike models say, models from '99,
    > >
    > > shops sell off old stock in sales but surely not all of it goes.
    > >

    > Most of it seems to go quickly enough, though some shops carry on trying to sell off their old
    > models for quite some time after they're no longer made. Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme
    > operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as happens with newsagents and the
    > daily papers?
    >
    > David E. Belcher
    >
    > Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, David E. Belcher
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as
    > happens with newsagents and the daily papers?

    Not with any I have dealt with but a discount can usually be negotiated if you are buying reasonable
    numbers of the new models.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  5. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    David E. Belcher wrote:
    > Wonder if a "sale or return" scheme operates involving the importers/manufacturers/wholesalers, as
    > happens with newsagents and the daily papers?

    I was in 'the trade' years ago. Theres no sale or return, to get a good supply & price of bikes thru
    the season (late spring thru to autum for adult bikes) you have to place orders in december. If they
    aren't going by late summer you start discounting, by winter you discount more, by next spring your
    almost giving them away in a sale. You let staff have them at less than cost, you do one day sales.

    The margins on bikes for small shops are very thin, less than almost anything else in the
    high street.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  6. Sam Huby

    Sam Huby Guest

    IME having worked in a bike shop for less than a year the old models pretty much *do* all get sold
    off within a year or two - at correspondingly decreasing prices. It gets to the point where you'll
    take a silly price just to get the bloody thing out the way.

    Sam