Old Bike Worth Restoring - Peugeot Orient Express

Home User

Guest
I've decided to start riding again, after over a ten year hiatus (I've been
a couch potato). I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do
you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
improvements/upgrades?

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:54:13 -0700, Larry wrote:

> IIRC that Peugeot has horizontal drop outs and, if so, would make a
> great single speed. It might even have a lugged steel frame. OK. Ready
> to ride?

That's right. I in fact have one set up as a single speed, with the stock
solid fork, and it is a blast. It is rock stable and very smooth riding.
The frame is a bit heavy, but as a single speed w/o suspension, the
overall package is acceptably light. It has a classic steel feel that you
don't get too much on MTBs these days. The geometry is fairly slack, and
it has a longish wheelbase. It excels at just steamrollering over really
choppy terrain you'd THINK you'd need suspension for. Really nice ride.

I cleaned up and oiled the bike. I replaced tubes/tires front and rear. I
got the wheels trued. I tightened up a loose bottom bracket. The brake
levers & shifters are worn and banged up, but they still work! So, I've
been riding the bike now for about a month, and it is holding up okay...

Where can I find replacement parts for an old bike like this? The
components are Shimano SIS "Exage" (light action). I am on a budget. Used
parts are fine.

To everybody - Thanks for your help and suggestions.

news:[email protected]...