Old Bike Worth Restoring?

creamster

May 15, 2005
I have an old Peugeot Orient Express. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on improvements/upgrades?

creamster said:
I have an old Peugeot Orient Express. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on improvements/upgrades?

Upgrades on old bikes can get pretty costly and all you'll wind up with is an older heavy frame with components that belong on something newer. That being said, I have a 14 year old Pinarello that's still a joy to ride but mostly because I take good care of it. I would assess the age of the bike, the quality of the tubing as well as compatibility with newer drive-trains (i.e rear spacing). I'm not familiar with Peugeot, so I'm not sure where the Orient Express fit's in their line up. if it's a high end racing frame, I would consider upgrading if the condition is good. If it's a lesser "sport" model, I would just ride it as is and put your money toward a new road bike. Just my .02.

creamster said:
Clean it up and ride it while you save up for a decent bike.

creamster said:
Clean it up? Yes.
Spend money on it? Maybe a few bucks on new tires/tubes, handlebar tape, onsie twosies -- but I agree, enjoy it for what its worth w/o putting any big bucks into it, rather save the major spending for a new one.