Old bikes for charity

Matt

Guest
Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?

Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?

Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.

Matt

Matt wrote:
> Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
>
> Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
>
> Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.

If you are anywhere near Edinburgh, this lot would probably take them.

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/

There could be a similar scheme near you.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Question _your own_ authority.

Matt wrote:

> Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
>
> Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
>
> Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.

Could try freecycle - no pun intended.

http://uk.freecycle.org/
--
Chris

In article <[email protected]>
Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
>
> Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
>
> Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.

There are some schemes that provide work experience for
unemployed/handicapped/offenders refurbishing bikes and passing them on
to the needy, but they tend to be local rather than national, so you'll
need to find one in Surrey (assuming that's where your friend is). You
could try asking your local Job Centre or Probation Office if nobody
else knows of any.

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
>
> Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
>
> Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.
>
> Matt

If you've got a Big Issue office anywhere near, they may well be interested.
I had an old but well maintained bike that they were very happy to have.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
> >
> > Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
> >
> > Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.
> >

> There are some schemes that provide work experience for
> unemployed/handicapped/offenders refurbishing bikes and passing them on
> to the needy, but they tend to be local rather than national, so you'll
> need to find one in Surrey (assuming that's where your friend is). You
> could try asking your local Job Centre or Probation Office if nobody
> else knows of any.

I know that there used to be such a scheme in Surrey - I will
investigate and find out more.

...d

Matt wrote:
> Is there a way to give old bikes to charity?
>
> Any specific chairties giving old bikes to the needy?
>
> Got a friend with s couple to dispose of.
>
> Matt

Here are some contact details for other organisations recycling bicycles:

Re-cycle - these are based in Essex, but should have a London hub you
might be able to use. http://re-cycle.org/
http://www.re-cycle.org/home/Contact/Us Tel 0845 458 0 854

Cycles for Asylum Seekers - these are based in London, but I have no
other details apart from the phone number Tel: 020 7690 7134

If these two can't help then you could try BikeLinks - they're based in
Manchester, but organise local cycling projects across the country
(these are the people I use):
http://cpnw.newcomweb.demon.com/Bikelinks-page1.htm Lee Eckersley is the
guy you'd need to speak to, and can be contacted at the following
address: [email protected] or by telephone on 0161 736 6366

Finally, there's Cycling Aid Ukraine - a guy called Tony is launching a
scheme to train Ukrainians to recycle bicycles. He might be interested
in taking yours. You can contact him at: Aidventures
(www.aidventures.co.uk), Tony Pritchard on 01978 753164, 07855 462591 or
email: [email protected].

Ooh! You could also check out the London Community Recycling Network:
http://www.lcrn.org.uk/

HTH.

Wheelist