Old bikes -- where/how to sell?

David L. Johnson

Guest
A friend of a friend of my wife has 5 old bicycles that she wants to
sell. I'd like a little help finding a reasonable way to do this.

The bikes are all from between the mid 60s to the early 80's, all
outfitted for touring. Here is what I can make out from a short visit
to see them, and to take a few pictures:

Schwinn Paramount (best of the collection), all campy, with a campy
triple crank (the arms were drilled and tapped for the granny, it
seems), from around 1970. Suntour derailleurs that are probably later
additions

Gitaine with cottered cranks, but tubular tires, mixed components

Lambert Grand Prix that is a dead ringer for
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Lambert/Lambert_DBs_1.htm

Two bikes that were custom built for the woman and her, um, partner (now
deceased). Labelled Veloce on the downtube and stamped into the
seatlug. Chrome, tange champion tubing, nice lugs, all campy.

The condition of all the bikes is only fair. Tires are all rotted,
there is some superficial rust on components, and the chrome on the
Veloce's is pockmarked with rust spots.

But these are all lightweight, nice bikes that should have some
collectors' value. I can get better pictures and can also clean them up
a bit, but they are not mine and I don't have access to them at the
moment.

What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
is there somewhere else where they might find a home?

The bikes are now in Bethlehem, PA.

--

David L. Johnson

Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and Excellence.

"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote...

> What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
> is there somewhere else where they might find a home?
>
> The bikes are now in Bethlehem, PA.

rec.bicycles.marketplace doesn't appeal to you?

what about the Trexlertown Swap Meet?

--
JF

On Nov 25, 4:58 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> A friend of a friend of my wife has 5 old bicycles that she wants to
> sell. I'd like a little help finding a reasonable way to do this.
>
> The bikes are all from between the mid 60s to the early 80's, all
> outfitted for touring. Here is what I can make out from a short visit
> to see them, and to take a few pictures:
>
> Schwinn Paramount (best of the collection), all campy, with a campy
> triple crank (the arms were drilled and tapped for the granny, it
> seems), from around 1970. Suntour derailleurs that are probably later
> additions
>
> Gitaine with cottered cranks, but tubular tires, mixed components
>
> Lambert Grand Prix that is a dead ringer forhttp://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Lambert/Lambert_DBs_1.htm
>
> Two bikes that were custom built for the woman and her, um, partner (now
> deceased). Labelled Veloce on the downtube and stamped into the
> seatlug. Chrome, tange champion tubing, nice lugs, all campy.
>
> The condition of all the bikes is only fair. Tires are all rotted,
> there is some superficial rust on components, and the chrome on the
> Veloce's is pockmarked with rust spots.
>
> But these are all lightweight, nice bikes that should have some
> collectors' value. I can get better pictures and can also clean them up
> a bit, but they are not mine and I don't have access to them at the
> moment.
>
> What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
> is there somewhere else where they might find a home?

ebay to maximize profit, but if they were mine, I'd figure out what
the market is by looking on ebay, then sell for a bit less locally on
craigslist. That way the buyer can actually inspect the bike and
everybody can feel like the transaction is honest.

Hello David

I'd go CRAIGSLIST. Being that the bikes are in PA, you should draw/tap
a large, informed, cycling community. Plus there's NO CHARGE!

This mix lot may even appeal to a single LOCAL buyer.

Best of Luck and Regards

Mike Baldwin

Jim Flom wrote:
> "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote...
>> What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
>> is there somewhere else where they might find a home?
>>
>> The bikes are now in Bethlehem, PA.

> rec.bicycles.marketplace doesn't appeal to you?

Well, I hadn't considered that. Maybe I will subscribe and see what it
looks like.

> what about the Trexlertown Swap Meet?

The next one is in April or thereabouts, and I will not be around for that.

--

David L. Johnson

What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is not
that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
--Robert F. Kennedy

On Nov 25, 5:58 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> A friend of a friend of my wife has 5 old bicycles that she wants to
> sell. I'd like a little help finding a reasonable way to do this.
>
> The bikes are all from between the mid 60s to the early 80's, all
> outfitted for touring. Here is what I can make out from a short visit
> to see them, and to take a few pictures:
>
> Schwinn Paramount (best of the collection), all campy, with a campy
> triple crank (the arms were drilled and tapped for the granny, it
> seems), from around 1970. Suntour derailleurs that are probably later
> additions
>
> Gitaine with cottered cranks, but tubular tires, mixed components
>
> Lambert Grand Prix that is a dead ringer forhttp://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Lambert/Lambert_DBs_1.htm
>
> Two bikes that were custom built for the woman and her, um, partner (now
> deceased). Labelled Veloce on the downtube and stamped into the
> seatlug. Chrome, tange champion tubing, nice lugs, all campy.
>
> The condition of all the bikes is only fair. Tires are all rotted,
> there is some superficial rust on components, and the chrome on the
> Veloce's is pockmarked with rust spots.
>
> But these are all lightweight, nice bikes that should have some
> collectors' value. I can get better pictures and can also clean them up
> a bit, but they are not mine and I don't have access to them at the
> moment.
>
> What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
> is there somewhere else where they might find a home?
>
> The bikes are now in Bethlehem, PA.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and Excellence.

the best thing to do is to sell them on EBAY
carlos
WWW.BIKINGTHINGS.COM

wrote:
> A friend of a friend of my wife has 5 old bicycles that she wants to
> sell. I'd like a little help finding a reasonable way to do this.
>
> The bikes are all from between the mid 60s to the early 80's, all
> outfitted for touring. Here is what I can make out from a short visit
> to see them, and to take a few pictures:
>
> Schwinn Paramount (best of the collection), all campy, with a campy
> triple crank (the arms were drilled and tapped for the granny, it
> seems), from around 1970. Suntour derailleurs that are probably later
> additions
>
> Gitaine with cottered cranks, but tubular tires, mixed components
>
> Lambert Grand Prix that is a dead ringer forhttp://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Lambert/Lambert_DBs_1.htm
>
> Two bikes that were custom built for the woman and her, um, partner (now
> deceased). Labelled Veloce on the downtube and stamped into the
> seatlug. Chrome, tange champion tubing, nice lugs, all campy.
>
> The condition of all the bikes is only fair. Tires are all rotted,
> there is some superficial rust on components, and the chrome on the
> Veloce's is pockmarked with rust spots.
>
> But these are all lightweight, nice bikes that should have some
> collectors' value. I can get better pictures and can also clean them up
> a bit, but they are not mine and I don't have access to them at the
> moment.
>
> What should I do to try to sell them? Is e-bay the only route to go, or
> is there somewhere else where they might find a home?
>
> The bikes are now in Bethlehem, PA.
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and Excellence.

If they don't all sell, you might consider donating them to a charity.

I'm not a tax expert but I know people used to be able to take a tax
deduction when they donated them to our charity.

http://www.texasbikesfortykes.org/id1.html

I do realize that you're not in Texas but there are many similar
organizations around the country.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****