Old calf injuries HELP

Chris Villone

Guest
Hi all, (If you don't want the particulars and just want to answer my questions go to the bottom,
but please read the whole thing, it's not that long) Here's my particular situation: Between 1997
and 1998 I injured both my calf muscles with what I think is a small tear or strain. They both got
injured within like 6 months of each other. After they got injured I took months off to heal.
Meaning I did no running at all. Whenever I would try to get started running again, after a few
weeks my calf would go again. The injury would be a sudden sharp pain in the calf muscle that would
make me limp and would not go away. I would have to stop running and walk back to my house. So I
would stop running again and try to heal... I think I injured both muscles atleast twice.

Now years later and without and running to speak of in between I think my injuries were due to
lack of stretching. After graduating college in 95 I never really stretched when I ran.

So I am now trying to start running again, to do a fall marathon, and am going very slow. I have
been stretching my calf muscles to try and get them loose again, but I must be doing something
wrong. My calf muscles feel sore after stretching, and they still fell tight when I run. I have
run a total of 3 times, 2 miles each at 8 minute mile pace.(This is slow for me) Anyway on my last
run my right calf started hurting just before the run ended. I'm really frustated. I have read the
articles on stretching and injury prevention at runnersworld.com and know you must have a warm
muscle to get the best stretching, but no one seems to make a suggestion on the best way to get
warmed up, or what it takes to get warmed up so you can stretch your muscles. Also no time line on
how long to strech/heal before starting running again. I stopped running again and yesterday I
walked for 10 minutes at a good pace(used that as my warm up) then went back to my cubicle and
stretched my calves. Last night both my calf muscles were sore. Does this mean I am stretching to
hard on the muscles and that is why they are getting injured or is this ok?

MAJOR QUESTIONS: I have put hot packs on my calves for 10 minutes and used them to warm the muscle,
and then stretched, is this acceptable or should this not be done?

How do I warm up(what activity) and stretch my calf muscles so that I am able to run again?

What stretches are best for the calves so as not to overstretch them?

Any suggestions on other activities to improve my fitness level while trying to restore my calves?

Suggestions on ice and anti-inflamatories? Thanks, Chris

I don't get it. An old calf? And anyway, just call a vet. Why bother a jogging group with a question
about cattle?

Maybe the old injuries have created a bunch of scar tissue. If you can't get yourself sorted out,
look into Active Release Technique (ART). I'm not a practitioner myself, but can say that it's kept
me running and in triathlon despite past injuries.

Alan.

"Chris Villone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, (If you don't want the particulars and just want to answer my questions go to the bottom,
> but please read the whole thing, it's not that long) Here's my particular situation: Between 1997
> and 1998 I injured both my calf muscles with what I think is a small tear or strain. They both got
> injured within like 6 months of each other. After they got injured I took months off to heal.
> Meaning I did no running at all. Whenever I would try to get started running again, after a few
> weeks my calf would go again. The injury would be a sudden sharp pain in the calf muscle that
> would make me limp and would not go away. I would have to stop running and walk back to my house.
> So I would stop running again and try to heal... I think I injured both muscles atleast twice.
>
> Now years later and without and running to speak of in between I think my injuries were due to
> lack of stretching. After graduating college in 95 I never really stretched when I ran.
>
> So I am now trying to start running again, to do a fall marathon, and am going very slow. I have
> been stretching my calf muscles to try and get them loose again, but I must be doing something
> wrong. My calf muscles feel sore after stretching, and they still fell tight when I run. I have
> run a total of 3 times, 2 miles each at 8 minute mile pace.(This is slow for me) Anyway on my
> last run my right calf started hurting just before the run ended. I'm really frustated. I have
> read the articles on stretching and injury prevention at runnersworld.com and know you must have
> a warm muscle to get the best stretching, but no one seems to make a suggestion on the best way
> to get warmed up, or what it takes to get warmed up so you can stretch your muscles. Also no
> time line on how long to strech/heal before starting running again. I stopped running again and
> yesterday I walked for 10 minutes at a good pace(used that as my warm up) then went back to my
> cubicle and stretched my calves. Last night both my calf muscles were sore. Does this mean I am
> stretching to hard on the muscles and that is why they are getting injured or is this ok?
>

> MAJOR QUESTIONS: I have put hot packs on my calves for 10 minutes and used them to warm the
> muscle, and then stretched, is this acceptable or should this not be done?
>
> How do I warm up(what activity) and stretch my calf muscles so that I am able to run again?
>
> What stretches are best for the calves so as not to overstretch them?
>
> Any suggestions on other activities to improve my fitness level while trying to restore my calves?
>
> Suggestions on ice and anti-inflamatories? Thanks, Chris

I also have had a problem with recurring calf pulls/tears. They would occur about every 6 months. I
tried just about everything. There is a lot of good info on calf injuries in this newsgroup
especially from Oz.

What I finally did was STOP stretching. I was making my problem worse by stretching, even when I
would do it correctly.

Since I stopped stretching I have not had a recurrence of the problem.

This sounds stupid, I know, but it is working for me.

"Chris Villone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, (If you don't want the particulars and just want to answer my questions go to the bottom,
> but please read the whole thing, it's not that long) Here's my particular situation: Between 1997
> and 1998 I injured both my calf muscles with what I think is a small tear or strain. They both got
> injured within like 6 months of each other. After they got injured I took months off to heal.
> Meaning I did no running at all. Whenever I would try to get started running again, after a few
> weeks my calf would go again. The injury would be a sudden sharp pain in the calf muscle that
> would make me limp and would not go away. I would have to stop running and walk back to my house.
> So I would stop running again and try to heal... I think I injured both muscles atleast twice.
>
> Now years later and without and running to speak of in between I think my injuries were due to
> lack of stretching. After graduating college in 95 I never really stretched when I ran.
>
> So I am now trying to start running again, to do a fall marathon, and am going very slow. I have
> been stretching my calf muscles to try and get them loose again, but I must be doing something
> wrong. My calf muscles feel sore after stretching, and they still fell tight when I run. I have
> run a total of 3 times, 2 miles each at 8 minute mile pace.(This is slow for me) Anyway on my
> last run my right calf started hurting just before the run ended. I'm really frustated. I have
> read the articles on stretching and injury prevention at runnersworld.com and know you must have
> a warm muscle to get the best stretching, but no one seems to make a suggestion on the best way
> to get warmed up, or what it takes to get warmed up so you can stretch your muscles. Also no
> time line on how long to strech/heal before starting running again. I stopped running again and
> yesterday I walked for 10 minutes at a good pace(used that as my warm up) then went back to my
> cubicle and stretched my calves. Last night both my calf muscles were sore. Does this mean I am
> stretching to hard on the muscles and that is why they are getting injured or is this ok?
>

> MAJOR QUESTIONS: I have put hot packs on my calves for 10 minutes and used them to warm the
> muscle, and then stretched, is this acceptable or should this not be done?
>
> How do I warm up(what activity) and stretch my calf muscles so that I am able to run again?
>
> What stretches are best for the calves so as not to overstretch them?
>
> Any suggestions on other activities to improve my fitness level while trying to restore my calves?
>
> Suggestions on ice and anti-inflamatories? Thanks, Chris

I have the same problem. It came on in March 03 in one calf, and the next time I felt well enough to
run it came on suddenly in both. I could hardly walk for a week.

In the months since I've taken a lot of time off but the injury always returns the first or second
time I go out running. Not stretching hasn't helped, neither has muscle relaxants, massages, or
anything else. I can swim, bike, walk, and do everything else but run.

Any other ideas?

John

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have the same problem. It came on in March 03 in one calf, and the next time I felt well enough
> to run it came on suddenly in both. I could hardly walk for a week.
>
> In the months since I've taken a lot of time off but the injury always returns the first or second
> time I go out running. Not stretching hasn't helped, neither has muscle relaxants, massages, or
> anything else. I can swim, bike, walk, and do everything else but run.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> John

I have the same problem. I find that I can run pain-free on a treadmill.

>What I finally did was STOP stretching. I was making my problem worse by stretching, even when I
>would do it correctly.
>
>Since I stopped stretching I have not had a recurrence of the problem.
>
>This sounds stupid, I know, but it is working for me.

Doesn't sound stupid to me. I have been running a long time, and I did the stretching thing for
awhile when I was younger. I felt a lot of new, nagging little aggravations as a result, so I
stopped. I have now run injury free for many, many years.

Stretching is a controversial thing as applied to runners. Some folks swear by it; others swear AT
it. I'd be in the latter group, except I got over the error of my ways a long time ago.

Mind you: For sprinting, I think the answers about stretching would be very different than for
distance running.