Old campa spindle - new cranks?



worm

New Member
Jul 29, 2004
5
0
0
Is it possible to mount newer campagnolo cranks on a old style (cones/balls) bottom bracket? My bike has a record (68 - ss - 120 +1 +1.5) spindle, which is somewhere around 111 mm wide. It is in very good condition. Can I mount a newer campagnolo crankset on it, e.g. centaur, veloce or racing triple? Or would that give problems with the frame (steel) and/or symmetry?
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
worm said:
Is it possible to mount newer campagnolo cranks on a old style (cones/balls) bottom bracket? My bike has a record (68 - ss - 120 +1 +1.5) spindle, which is somewhere around 111 mm wide. It is in very good condition. Can I mount a newer campagnolo crankset on it, e.g. centaur, veloce or racing triple? Or would that give problems with the frame (steel) and/or symmetry?
The new crank has to use the same spindle length.
 

BikeyGuy

New Member
Sep 27, 2003
182
0
16
70
I have a 1993 Campy groupo. Campy changed the BB axle taper in 1994.
(So I've been told)
People watch for the BB axle length and forget to keep in mind the taper.
So, obviously the taper is key. Make sure the crank and BB axle taper are compatable.
Good luck.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
BikeyGuy said:
I have a 1993 Campy groupo. Campy changed the BB axle taper in 1994.
(So I've been told)
People watch for the BB axle length and forget to keep in mind the taper.
So, obviously the taper is key. Make sure the crank and BB axle taper are compatable.
Good luck.
I think you were told wrong.
 

BikeyGuy

New Member
Sep 27, 2003
182
0
16
70
Could have been told wrong, although I would think you would want to make sure, prior to a purchase.
Good luck.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
BikeyGuy said:
Could have been told wrong, although I would think you would want to make sure, prior to a purchase.
Good luck.
Wouldn't a person that is going to toss out that kind of 'advice' know for sure? I found a reference to a change on the Phil Wood site,but it makes no sense in that it seems to say an earlier taper for campyy was JIS:Japaneese Industrial Satndard?
 

JohnO

New Member
Jul 5, 2003
1,495
0
0
BikeyGuy said:
I have a 1993 Campy groupo. Campy changed the BB axle taper in 1994.
(So I've been told)
People watch for the BB axle length and forget to keep in mind the taper.
So, obviously the taper is key. Make sure the crank and BB axle taper are compatable.
Good luck.

It's the same. I just compared my 2002 Record BB axle to a 1972 Record BB axle, the taper is the same.

The 2002 Record BB sure looks cool, with its carbon cover. Leave it to Campy to put that sort of finish on a part that only a mechanic will ever see...
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
JohnO said:
It's the same. I just compared my 2002 Record BB axle to a 1972 Record BB axle, the taper is the same.

The 2002 Record BB sure looks cool, with its carbon cover. Leave it to Campy to put that sort of finish on a part that only a mechanic will ever see...
Yeah, it looks cool,but the CF shell is not without it's issues.
 

worm

New Member
Jul 29, 2004
5
0
0
Thanks for the answers. So I tried to mount new Centaur cranks on the old BB. However, the Q-factor rose by almost 10 mm. Too much, so I unmounted the cranks and the BB, and measured the old spindle. It turned out to be 114,5mm instead of 111. But the Q-factor difference was much more than 3mm. Either the axletaper has changed indeed, as BikeyGuy has suggsted, or my old record cranks are so worn out that they come several mm's closer to the frame. Anyway, I decided to get a new BB as well and store the old BB and cranks somewhere for later use. Now if just the fixed cone would come loose...