Old cassette , new chain

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by irumman, Jun 4, 2012.

1. irumman

irumman New Member

Hi all, I have been riding Trek 3900 disc for the last 1 year and for the last few days I found the chain got stretched. A local mechanic told me to change the chain and as cassette is not available at this moment in my place I am running with old cassette and new chain.
    Now, my bike is running very good at gear 7 and 8, but it slips at gear 3-6.
    Any alternative should I follow to make it perfect?

Tags:

2. Dave Cutter

Dave Cutter Active Member

Avoid gears 3-6 till a new cassette arrives and is replaced.

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Sometimes incorrect deuralleur setup will give similar symptoms to a worn cassette. Check that both the SIS cable adjustment and b-tension screw are set correctly. One would expect that the bike store would check this but I wouldn't take anything for granted. http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0019-downloadFile.html/13)%20Rear%20Derailleur%20Installation.pdf I find it hard to believe that you've worn the cassette to a level where it's unrideable within the course of a year unless youve racked up 15,000+ miles including a fair amount in rain and muddy conditions with some lack of maintenance thrown in for added carnage...

4. bogieboy

bogieboy New Member

i have to disagree....on my mtb i go thru 2 chains and a cassette in one years time...i average about 1100mi on the bike a year, all offroad, all either muddy or dusty.... The dust will kill achain faster than you would believe....

5. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I have to agree with previous post. Did you have the skip before the new chain was installed?

6. qdc15

qdc15 Member

Where are you located that cassettes are not available? Amazon has them if you're in the US.

It's possible to ruin a cassette in three months and it's possible to use the same cassette for ten years. Wear is a function of distance, not time. Frequent chain replacement can delay the need for a new cassette.

7. cobooboc

cobooboc New Member

I think you'd put on a new chain.