Old cassette , new chain

irumman

May 14, 2011
Hi all, I have been riding Trek 3900 disc for the last 1 year and for the last few days I found the chain got stretched. A local mechanic told me to change the chain and as cassette is not available at this moment in my place I am running with old cassette and new chain.
Now, my bike is running very good at gear 7 and 8, but it slips at gear 3-6.
Any alternative should I follow to make it perfect?

Sometimes incorrect deuralleur setup will give similar symptoms to a worn cassette. Check that both the SIS cable adjustment and b-tension screw are set correctly. One would expect that the bike store would check this but I wouldn't take anything for granted. http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0019-downloadFile.html/13)%20Rear%20Derailleur%20Installation.pdf I find it hard to believe that you've worn the cassette to a level where it's unrideable within the course of a year unless youve racked up 15,000+ miles including a fair amount in rain and muddy conditions with some lack of maintenance thrown in for added carnage...

swampy1970 said:
Sometimes incorrect deuralleur setup will give similar symptoms to a worn cassette. Check that both the SIS cable adjustment and b-tension screw are set correctly. One would expect that the bike store would check this but I wouldn't take anything for granted. http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0019-downloadFile.html/13)%20Rear%20Derailleur%20Installation.pdf I find it hard to believe that you've worn the cassette to a level where it's unrideable within the course of a year unless youve racked up 15,000+ miles including a fair amount in rain and muddy conditions with some lack of maintenance thrown in for added carnage...
i have to disagree....on my mtb i go thru 2 chains and a cassette in one years time...i average about 1100mi on the bike a year, all offroad, all either muddy or dusty.... The dust will kill achain faster than you would believe....

I have to agree with previous post. Did you have the skip before the new chain was installed?

Where are you located that cassettes are not available? Amazon has them if you're in the US.

It's possible to ruin a cassette in three months and it's possible to use the same cassette for ten years. Wear is a function of distance, not time. Frequent chain replacement can delay the need for a new cassette.