Old Ciocc

bike_racer102 said:
I've accquired an old ciocc bike, is it any good?:D
Yes! A lugged-steel Ciocc (pronounced CHEE Oh-CH, BTW) is an extraoridinarily nice Italian bike.

FWIW. I think Ciocc was the first framebuilder "allowed" to use Reynolds 753 tubing.

If the frame is more recent, it has a good heritage.

alfeng said:
Yes! A lugged-steel Ciocc (pronounced CHEE Oh-CH, BTW) is an extraoridinarily nice Italian bike.

FWIW. I think Ciocc was the first framebuilder "allowed" to use Reynolds 753 tubing.

If the frame is more recent, it has a good heritage.
I'm guessing it's at least 20 yrs.old. Anyhow i got it for free!

bike_racer102 said:
If you got the bike from a friend, take him to dinner ... many times ...

Buy the beer for the next year ...

I think that you can easily consider the Ciocc to be as good as a Colnago, Pegoretti & other quality Italian frames in that tier.

bike_racer102 said:

Here's a few pics of my Ciocc. She rides great. Not as old as yours. Mine has Columbus tubes.

http://mypinkciocc.blogspot.com/

Ciocc is a small Italian builder...doing low volume, high quality, hand built frames from Italy. very good reputation.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there were a lot of Ciocc frames in the professional peloton. Many were rebadged and disguised as other brands. You may remember the Concorde line of road bikes ridden by the PDM pro team(Sean Kelly, Raul Alcala, Sean Kelly, Gert Jan Thuenisse, and Erik Breukink). Concorde road bikes were really just rebadged Ciocc bikes.

Ciocc's were built by a master builder and former racing cyclist. he had earned the name 'Poker Face' during his racing years. Ciocc is Italian for poker face...which is why you see the suits of a deck of cards on the head tube decal(diamond, club, heart and spade).

The original master builder has since passed away I believe...and the work has been left to his apprentices.

My Ciocc is the one of the best riding bikes I have ever owned.

I would love to see some pics of your Ciocc.

oneradtec said:
Here's a few pics of my Ciocc. She rides great. Not as old as yours. Mine has Columbus tubes.

Ciocc is a small Italian builder...doing low volume, high quality, hand built frames from Italy. very good reputation.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's there were a lot of Ciocc frames in the professional peloton. Many were rebadged and disguised as other brands. You may remember the Concorde line of road bikes ridden by the PDM pro team(Sean Kelly, Raul Alcala, Sean Kelly, Gert Jan Thuenisse, and Erik Breukink). Concorde road bikes were really just rebadged Ciocc bikes.

Ciocc's were built by a master builder and former racing cyclist. he had earned the name 'Poker Face' during his racing years. Ciocc is Italian for poker face...which is why you see the suits of a deck of cards on the head tube decal(diamond, club, heart and spade).

The original master builder has since passed away I believe...and the work has been left to his apprentices.

I'l get some pictures of mine

bike_racer102 said:

Give us some good pics and I should be able to date it for you. If the frame is in good shape then I promise you that it is worth some upgrades. Well worth the money you might put into it to get it into ship shape condition.

I'm going to ride the hell out of mine...then send it off for refinishing of the paint and chrome in a few years. I'll ride it for years and years. It fits like a glove too. Joe Bell does a very professional refinishing job. He also does chrome and decals. Probably the best in the business.
Check out some of his work....

http://www.campyonly.com/joebell/jb_gallery.html

This one is my favorite in the JB gallery....

http://www.campyonly.com/images/joebell/gallery/jb_photos/gallery22.jpg

I'm dreaming...just thinking about the possibilities with my Ciocc. I once saw a Eddy Merckxs frame in a shop that had just come back from JB. It looked showroom new. It was so beautiful. I knew then that JB was the best.

bike_racer102 said:

Old steel lugged Cioccs (pronounced CHOOCH) are very collectible. I regret having parted with mine 12 years ago. I remember the technical editor of Bicycle Guide (cant remember his name) having a grey Ciocc as his super favorite bike.

hd reynolds said:
Old steel lugged Cioccs (pronounced CHOOCH) are very collectible. I regret having parted with mine 12 years ago. I remember the technical editor of Bicycle Guide (cant remember his name) having a grey Ciocc as his super favorite bike.
I always wanted a Ciocc when I was first racing twenty five years ago. But we always pronounced it Church...

oneradtec said:
I'm dreaming...just thinking about the possibilities with my Ciocc.
Nice bike!

FWIW. I love Shimano components, but my unsolicited suggestion is that when the time comes, that you grace your Ciocc with either vintage or contemporary Campagnolo components after you have it refinished ...

IMO, the old Nuovo Record rear derailleur is subjectively the best looking rear derailleur ever designed.

Regardless, I hope you can appreciate how elegant the "current" Campagnolo components would look on your Ciocc frame (as depicted on this MOOTS in JB's gallery):

oneradtec said:

Here's Mine:
Pictures%2FP8120001.JPG

alfeng said:
Nice bike!

FWIW. I love Shimano components, but my unsolicited suggestion is that when the time comes, that you grace your Ciocc with either vintage or contemporary Campagnolo components after you have it refinished ...

IMO, the old Nuovo Record rear derailleur is subjectively the best looking rear derailleur ever designed.

Regardless, I hope you can appreciate how elegant the "current" Campagnolo components would look on your Ciocc frame (as depicted on this MOOTS in JB's gallery):

Thanks for the comments. I'm not really interested in retro components. That said, I will consider using modern Campy stuff when the time comes.

I am looking at a 1984 or 1985 Concorde road bike. How can I tell if it is a Ciocc-built frame? Pictures are at: Concorde Aquila

Would love to get it if it is a good frame. I like the stamped seatstays and chrome fork. But I don't need another average 80s bike.

Matt

oneradtec said:

The original 'Mr. Ciocc' is still alive although he does not build much anymore. The name has been purchased by a new owner who continues to make frames, although they do not have the 'artisinal allure' of the frames being discussed here.

Or so I am told on Italian forums.

I had just seen a Ciocc frame and fork up for auction recently on ebay. The owner even had pic of the bike all built up with modern campy gear and what not. Very nice bikes. Just out of curiosity is one limited to the old school stem or can the modern ones be used in addition to a more modern carbon fork?

gemship said:
I had just seen a Ciocc frame and fork up for auction recently on ebay. The owner even had pic of the bike all built up with modern campy gear and what not. Very nice bikes. Just out of curiosity is one limited to the old school stem or can the modern ones be used in addition to a more modern carbon fork?
No, you are not limited to using an "old school stem" on a vintage bike ... that's what "quill adapters" are for.

While I currently have a vintage Cinelli stem in a threaded carbon fiber fork on 90s vintage Trek, I have a quill adapter on a threaded carbon fiber fork on an 80s vintage Peugeot + a threadless carbon fiber fork on an 80s vintage Olmo.

If there was a framebuilder in my-neck-of-the-woods, I would have him/her put a longer/(threadless) steerer on some of my steel forks.

WARNING: old thread :)

I dunno why, but Ciocc have always been one of my favourites, and late last year I was able to get a N.O.S. alu Ciocc frame (1" steerer) for $800AUS, so I'm pretty happy, coz it's uber sexy. :) 3.

Anyhoo, they've recntly changed the decals to some new crappy "modern" ones, so if anyone wants one, it might be best to snap up an old with the old stickers while you still can. :) There are quite a few for sale online

Mine is made with Dedacciai T6 Energy alu. It's nothing special, and some people would probably find a bit on the 'rough' side, but it's a pretty stiff and is good criterium bike, I guess. It's 58cm, and the frame alone is 1520g.