old derailleur gallery

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ari, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 02:41:59 +0000, ari wrote:

    > http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami/hunter/huret/huret.htm

    It's quite a trip down memory lane. Odd, though, that a Japanese site devoted to old derailleurs has
    nothing made in Japan.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
    -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    wow, memory lane...

    anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram derailleur - like they all are
    now? i remember getting a suntour - which was before campy recognised the value of this system - but
    anyone recall the history on that?

    jb

  3. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (Alan Walker) writes:

    > "ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami/hunter/huret/huret.htm
    >

    > Brings back memories.
    >
    > I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt that a lighter derailleur
    > has ever been made - and it has ball bearings in the jockey wheels!

    What happened to Huret? Are they still in the business at all? I haven't seen a Huret equipped
    bike in years.

    Anagram: I'm soon broke.

  5. Alan Walker

    Alan Walker Guest

    jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > wow, memory lane...
    >
    > anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram derailleur - like they all are
    > now? i remember getting a suntour - which was before campy recognised the value of this system -
    > but anyone recall the history on that?
    >
    > jb

    See a book called "The Dancing Chain", for example at

    http://www.cyclepublishing.com/dc.htm

    and

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/189249521X/103-6476729-3640607?v=glance

    Raymond Henry also wrote a book called (in English translation) "The Modern Derailleur Bicycle". If
    you can read and write French, an enquiry on fr.rec.sport.cyclisme will probably track it down.

    Cheers

    AW

  6. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, jim beam wrote:

    > anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram derailleur - like they all are
    > now? i remember getting a suntour -

    Believe that Suntour had a patent on slant parallelogram. As soon as the patent was up, Shimano and
    others copied it. Check in "The Dancing Chain", by Frank Berto for a more complete story??

  7. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

  8. Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Alan Walker) writes:
    >

    > What happened to Huret? Are they still in the business at all? I haven't seen a Huret equipped
    > bike in years.

    I believe they were taken over by sachs in 1980 to form Sachs-Huret, in turn taken over by
    SRAM in 1997.

    Andrew Webster [email protected]

  9. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 14 Sep 2003 23:42:42 -0700, [email protected] (Alan Walker) wrote:

    >"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami/hunter/huret/huret.htm
    >

    >Brings back memories.
    >
    >I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt that a lighter derailleur has
    >ever been made - and it has ball bearings in the jockey wheels!

    Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess
    (but have no direct knowledge) that you would also find them on old Campy kit.

  10. John Everett <[email protected]> writes:

    >On 14 Sep 2003 23:42:42 -0700, [email protected] (Alan Walker) wrote:

    >>"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami/hunter/huret/huret.htm
    >>

    >>Brings back memories.
    >>
    >>I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt that a lighter derailleur
    >>has ever been made - and it has ball bearings in the jockey wheels!

    >Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess
    >(but have no direct knowledge) that you would also find them on old Campy kit.

    negative. Most prestiges simply had the standard non ball-bearing wheels (e.g. metal inner ring, 2
    outer washers with gnurled lips, which served as guides form the plastic wheel that rotates without
    bearings against these 3 metals pieces.

  11. On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:55:54 +0000, John Everett wrote:

    > Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess
    > (but have no direct knowledge) that you would also find them on old Campy kit.

    No, at least my old Nuovo Record ('69) had sleeve bearings. They lasted a long time, though.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You _`\(,_ | soon find out the
    pig likes it! (_)/ (_) |

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > What happened to Huret? Are they still in the business at all? I haven't seen a Huret equipped
    > bike in years.

    They became part of Sachs, then SRAM. Don't know if former-Huret plant at Incheville exists yet.

  13. "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > They became part of Sachs, then SRAM. Don't know if former-Huret plant at Incheville exists yet.

    Normandie Online lists an Incheville plant for MARS Industries ["Metalical Accessories Remote
    Systems"], and gives sram.com as its corporate website. The director general (and mayor of
    Incheville) is a certain Monsieur Phillipe Maillard.

    http://www.normandieonline.com/structure/ ?lg=fr&structure=SSR7752&do=detail

    http://www.ifrance.com/marsindustries/

    http://www.paris-normandie.fr/dossiers/Communes/76/I76/ INCHEVILLE/INCHEVILLE.html

    James Thomson

  14. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 15 Sep 2003 15:28:38 -0700, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:

    >John Everett <[email protected]> writes:

    >>>Brings back memories.
    >>>
    >>>I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt that a lighter derailleur
    >>>has ever been made - and it has ball bearings in the jockey wheels!
    >
    >>Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess
    >>(but have no direct knowledge) that you would also find them on old Campy kit.
    >
    >negative. Most prestiges simply had the standard non ball-bearing wheels (e.g. metal inner ring, 2
    >outer washers with gnurled lips, which served as guides form the plastic wheel that rotates without
    >bearings against these 3 metals pieces.

    See: http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3/cycling/derailleur.gif for a picture of a Simplex Prestige
    that had ball bearing jockey wheels last time I rebuilt it.

  15. Jp

    Jp Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >wow, memory lane...
    > >
    > >anyone remember who came out with the first slanted parallelogram derailleur - like they all
    > >are now?
    >
    > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/page35.htm

    Does anyone know anything about the Peugeot/Simplex derailleur that Peugeot was putting on their
    production racing bikes 20+ years ago? Funny thing is that it looks to me like a slant parallelogram
    design- nothing like the Simplex pictures. This doesn't seem to fit with the legend of the Suntour
    patent, unless maybe they had licensed Simplex.

    I've still got the derailleur. I replaced it with a Suntour to get better shifting.

    JP

  16. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On 14 Sep 2003 23:42:42 -0700, [email protected] (Alan Walker) wrote:
    > >I still have one of the old Huret Jubilee racing derailleurs. I doubt that a lighter derailleur
    > >has ever been made - and it has ball bearings in the jockey wheels!

    > >"ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> http://village.infoweb.ne.jp/~mikami/hunter/huret/huret.htm
    > >Brings back memories.

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not all that unusual. Simplex Prestige derailleurs also had ball bearing jockey wheels. I'd guess
    > (but have no direct knowledge) that you would also find them on old Campy kit.

    [is the attribution right? I can't tell] Almost. Simplex Prestige (AR637P) have a simple steel
    sleeve. The Criterium (AR637L) is the one with the cute little ball-bearing pulleys, sort of like my
    own Huret Svelto pulleys except with teeth. Those and Suntour use fat 6mm roller bolts, not the
    skinny Campagnolo/Shimano 5mm format. Speaking of cute - how 'bout the Campagnolo #97 mini-wrench to
    adjust the pulley bearing?

  17. On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:12:41 +0000, JP wrote:

    > Does anyone know anything about the Peugeot/Simplex derailleur that Peugeot was putting on their
    > production racing bikes 20+ years ago?

    I just recall a standard Simplex derailleur, usually a prestige.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  18. Jp

    Jp Guest

    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:12:41 +0000, JP wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know anything about the Peugeot/Simplex derailleur that Peugeot was putting on their
    > > production racing bikes 20+ years ago?
    >
    > I just recall a standard Simplex derailleur, usually a prestige.

    No, it's different- I'm familiar with the old standard Simplex derailleurs. I still have the bike
    and the derailleur and was looking at it a couple of days ago trying to decide whether to put it on
    my Vitus (probably not). It looks more like a short cage Suntour, but it is clearly marked Simplex
    on the back, Peugeot on the front.

    JP