Old domestic guys--who's the best?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by BJC, Mar 28, 2004.

  1. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    I find it truly awesome to see guys like Steve Tilford still riding extremely well in his late 30s. From what I've heard, Redlands has been a blood bash too. Who do you think is the best old guy?

    Tags:

  2. "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I find it truly awesome to see guys like Steve Tilford
    > still riding extremely well in his late 30s.

    AFAIK, Tilford is currently in his mid 40's.

    From what I've heard, Redlands has been
    > a blood bash too. Who do you think is the best old guy?

    Lieswyn.

  3. Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I find it truly awesome to see guys like Steve Tilford
    >>still riding extremely well in his late 30s.
    >

    > AFAIK, Tilford is currently in his mid 40's.
    >
    > From what I've heard, Redlands has been
    >
    >>a blood bash too. Who do you think is the best old guy?
    >

    > Lieswyn.

    how old is old? Horner is 33 and is beating theshorts off of
    the US scene.

  4. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003
    I didn't realize Tilford was in his forties. Even more impressive.

  5. BJC <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:iRD9c.352-senetserver.comnews:[email protected]
    > > rver.com...
    > > > I find it truly awesome to see guys like Steve
    > > > Tilford still riding extremely well in his late 30s.
    > > AFAIK, Tilford is currently in his mid 40's. From what
    > > I've heard, Redlands has been
    > > > a blood bash too. Who do you think is the best old
    > > > guy?
    > > Lieswyn.
    >

    > I didn't realize Tilford was in his forties. Even more
    > impressive.
    >

    > --

    Bostic, still kicking it in his 50's I believe.

  6. "Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > BJC <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > > > "BJC" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > > message

    fe05.usenetserver.comnews:[email protected]
    > > > rver.com...
    riding
    > > > AFAIK, Tilford is currently in his mid 40's. From
    > > > what I've heard, Redlands has been
    > > > Lieswyn.
    > >

    > > I didn't realize Tilford was in his forties. Even more
    > > impressive.
    > >

    > > --
    >
    > Bostic, still kicking it in his 50's I believe.

    Bostick should be 51 this year. However, I think the OP was
    referring to events along the caliber of Redlands. I haven't
    paid much attention to Bostick's results lately: has he
    ridden many national caliber events since he tried to use
    his leg as a kickstand in Gila a few years ago?

    As an aside, for about the past to years or so, I've thought
    of Tilford as a guy who placed well through guile and
    finding little holes to go through that nobody else can
    find. Granted he wasn't a GC threat to anybody, but his
    result in Redlands shows he can still do well outside of a
    flat crit. Good job Tillie, and Trudy, too!

  7. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > As an aside, for about the past to years or so, I've
    > thought of Tilford as
    > guy who placed well through guile and finding little holes
    > to go through that nobody else can find. Granted he wasn't
    > a GC threat to anybody, but
    his
    > result in Redlands shows he can still do well outside of a
    > flat crit. Good job Tillie, and Trudy, too!

    Last year I watched part of a crit in Santa Cruz (part of
    the Sea Otter) which Mark won I believe. In any case he
    wasn't using guile.

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > As an aside, for about the past to years or so, I've
    > > thought of Tilford
    as
    > > guy who placed well through guile and finding little
    > > holes to go through that nobody else can find. Granted
    > > he wasn't a GC threat to anybody, but
    > his
    > > result in Redlands shows he can still do well outside of
    > > a flat crit.
    Good
    > > job Tillie, and Trudy, too!
    >
    > Last year I watched part of a crit in Santa Cruz (part of
    > the Sea Otter) which Mark won I believe. In any case he
    > wasn't using guile.

    Mark, who the hell is he - I meant Steve.

  9. Mm

    Mm Guest

    > > Last year I watched part of a crit in Santa Cruz (part
    > > of the Sea Otter) which Mark won I believe. In any case
    > > he wasn't using guile.
    >
    > Mark, who the hell is he - I meant Steve.

    How about Roberto Gaggioli, age 42. Perhaps one of the
    most consistant crit riders on the US scene for the
    past 15 years.

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "MM" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Last year I watched part of a crit in Santa Cruz (part
    > > > of the Sea
    Otter)
    > > > which Mark won I believe. In any case he wasn't using
    > > > guile.
    > >
    > > Mark, who the hell is he - I meant Steve.
    >
    > How about Roberto Gaggioli, age 42. Perhaps one of the
    > most consistant crit riders on the US scene for the past
    > 15 years.

    And he's also consistant at other things if you believe the
    rumors - don't let your spare wheels out of your sight in
    his vicinity.

  11. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003

    Roberto should definitely be mentioned. He's always a contender at Superweek. He deserves points for having Lynn by his side as well.

    Where I'm from there are a bunch of absolutely sick strong riders that are in their 40s; Jeffery Hartman, Mike Carter and Mark Southard to name a few---all deserve props for ripping legs far past their prime.

  12. Danschmatz

    Danschmatz Guest

    not that the other two aren't but Old Hartman is
    really good.

  13. "DanSchmatz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > not that the other two aren't but Old Hartman is
    > really good.

    I remember reading Jeff Hartman in results last year but
    thinking, "No, it couldn't be the same..."

    Really nice guy.

  14. Phillip

    Phillip Guest

    [email protected] (DanSchmatz) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > not that the other two aren't but Old Hartman is
    > really good.

    I still see Thurlow Rodgers out here, although I usually see
    him pulling away....

    Phillip

  15. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    is southard still at it? i know carter is still killin it.
    never knew hartmen when i was in boulder.. how about whicker
    also. when he wants it he wins it.

    ahoo.com> wrote in message

    guile.

    > > > Mark, who the hell is he - I meant Steve.
    > > How about Roberto Gaggioli, age 42. Perhaps one of the
    > > most consistant crit riders on the US scene for the
    > > past 15 years.
    >

    > Roberto should definitely be mentioned. He's always a
    > contender at Superweek. He deserves points for having Lynn
    > by his side as well.
    >
    > Where I'm from there are a bunch of absolutely sick strong
    > riders that are in their 40s; Jeffery Hartman, Mike Carter
    > and Mark Southard to name a few---all deserve props for
    > ripping legs far past their prime.
    >

    > --

  16. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    crits dont count....

    "MM" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Last year I watched part of a crit in Santa Cruz (part
    > > > of the Sea
    Otter)
    > > > which Mark won I believe. In any case he wasn't using
    > > > guile.
    > >
    > > Mark, who the hell is he - I meant Steve.
    >
    > How about Roberto Gaggioli, age 42. Perhaps one of the
    > most consistant crit riders on the US scene for the past
    > 15 years.

  17. BJC

    BJC New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2003

  18. [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > what about Wohlberg?
    >
    > dude is almost 40.

    Look at the name of the thread, moron. Then, if you still
    haven't got
    it......check his passport. Idiot.

    RC

  19. "ronde chumpion" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    Is it August already?

    Who won?

  20. [email protected] (ronde chumpion) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Jason Waddell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > m02.aol.com>...
    > > what about Wohlberg?
    > >
    > > dude is almost 40.
    >

    > Look at the name of the thread, moron. Then, if you still
    > haven't got
    > it......check his passport. Idiot.
    >
    > RC

    Wohlberg has been racing in the US for years and the thread
    said old domestic guys, not United States Citizens old
    domestic guys.

    thought you were going away till august... you lack the
    courage of your convictions.

    thanks, jason