Old "Executive" folding bicycle?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bill, May 26, 2003.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I bought an old girls folding bicycle at a yard sale. It says "Executive" on the front and has a
    world sticker on the bar below the seat.

    The old tire said 20 x 1-3/4, but when I got a new 20" tire, it would not fit.

    Anyone know who made this bike and what the proper size tire is?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I bought an old girls folding bicycle at a yard sale. It says "Executive" on the front and has a
    > world sticker on the bar below the seat.
    >
    > The old tire said 20 x 1-3/4, but when I got a new 20" tire, it would not fit.
    >
    > Anyone know who made this bike and what the proper size tire is?

    I don't know who made the bike, but it sounds similar to the "Auto-Mini Executive" - you can compare
    a photo of it to yours here: http://home.istar.ca/~marker/folders.html

    The tyre you need sounds like a 20"x1 3/4, not to be confused with the different 20"x1.75, as found
    on BMX bikes. The first one has a 451mm diameter, the second a 406mm diameter. This number should
    be marked on the (new) tyre wall somewhere. It is possible that the old tyre may be so old it is
    not marked.

    Jim Price

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Jim Price wrote:

    Doh!

    > The tyre you need sounds like a 20"x1 3/4, not to be confused with the different 20"x1.75, as
    > found on BMX bikes.

    Also, not to be confused with 20"x1 3/8, which is what I just realised I did there. 20"x1 3/4 has a
    419mm diameter, but according to Sheldon "the man most likely to know" Brown, these would only
    usually be found on Scwinn Juvenile bikes.

    I would think it more likely that you have a 20"x1 3/8 tyre with 451 rim measurement on this
    sort of bike.

    Jim Price

    >I bought an old girls folding bicycle at a yard sale. It says "Executive" on the front and has a
    >world sticker on the bar below the seat.
    >
    >The old tire said 20 x 1-3/4, but when I got a new 20" tire, it would not fit.
    >
    >Anyone know who made this bike and what the proper size tire is?

    Check www.sheldonbrown.com . There is a section on tires, and the various sizes that would be
    helpful to you.