Old fat guy needs bike???:)

Apilgrimandastr

Guest
Hello All,

Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good mountain bike in the $500-$750
range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but kind of got out of shape and am trying to get back
in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding, but nothing too hardcore.

Anyway i was wondering if you good folks could point me in the right direction here with brands-
models, even web sources for comparison. I have been checking out giant's web site and a few of the
other major brands but not really sure what look for right now.

Well i appreciate any info.

Peace, Pilgrim

I just traded in my 2003 Giant Rainer on a 2002 Giant AC 1. I'm fairly heavy @ 250Lbs. The Rainer
was a excellent bike with great components. The only reason I traded the Rainer was because I was
doing more and more intermediate and advanced trails when ever I went riding. The Rainer will serve
you well and get you into "ride fever". You riding skills will progress much faster on a good
quality bike. Get riding shorts and a seat that has a love channel to relive some pressure around
your bottom. Also, look at getting mountain bike shoes like AXO Cortex. Very affordable and if you
decide to go clipsless just remove a cutaway on the shoe for the cleat and your all set. I'm sure
there are better products out there, but thats what worked for me. Good luck. Xtc
"aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All,
>
> Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good
mountain
> bike in the $500-$750 range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but
kind
> of got out of shape and am trying to get back in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding,
> but nothing too hardcore.
>
> Anyway i was wondering if you good folks could point me in the right direction here with brands-
> models, even web sources for comparison. I
have
> been checking out giant's web site and a few of the other major brands but not really sure what
> look for right now.
>
> Well i appreciate any info.
>
> Peace, Pilgrim

"aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello All,
>
> Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good mountain bike in the $500-$750
> range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but kind of got out of shape and am trying to get
> back in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding, but nothing too hardcore.
>
> Anyway i was wondering if you good folks could point me in the right direction here with brands-
> models, even web sources for comparison. I have been checking out giant's web site and a few of
> the other major brands but not really sure what look for right now.
>
> Well i appreciate any info.

Don't listen to brand names and those who spew them here. Test ride a buynch of bikes and buy the
one that fits the best for you and your needs. Names is for tombstones, baby.

JD

> "aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hello All,
<snip>
> > Well i appreciate any info.
>
> Don't listen to brand names and those who spew them here. Test ride a buynch of bikes and buy the
> one that fits the best for you and your needs. Names is for tombstones, baby.
>
> JD

Take JD's advice about brand names and spewing. He's the same person who spewed this:

From: J. D. ([email protected]) Subject: Re: RST fork vs Manitou, RockShox View: Complete Thread (11
articles) Original Format Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Date: 2002-08-30 08:15:26 PST

You don't need to know anything other than Marzocchi.

JD

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > "aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hello All,
> <snip>
> > > Well i appreciate any info.
> >
> > Don't listen to brand names and those who spew them here. Test ride a buynch of bikes and buy
> > the one that fits the best for you and your needs. Names is for tombstones, baby.
> >
> > JD
>

> Take JD's advice about brand names and spewing. He's the same person who spewed this:
>
> From: J. D. ([email protected]) Subject: Re: RST fork vs Manitou, RockShox View: Complete Thread (11
> articles) Original Format Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Date: 2002-08-30 08:15:26 PST
>

> You don't need to know anything other than Marzocchi.
>
> JD

You are quite the dipshit, do you know that ricky? If you want I can dig up some of your psychotic
ramblings. Your weak leg humping only confirms the obvious.

JD

"aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello All,
>
> Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good mountain bike in the $500-$750
> range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but kind of got out of shape and am trying to get
> back in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding, but nothing too hardcore.
>
> Anyway i was wondering if you good folks could point me in the right direction here with brands-
> models, even web sources for comparison. I have been checking out giant's web site and a few of
> the other major brands but not really sure what look for right now.
>
> Well i appreciate any info.
>
> Peace, Pilgrim

I was in the same shoes as you, rode about 10 years ago and getting back into it this summer. I
looked at and rode several brands and ended up getting a Giant XTC2. I also looked hard at the Giant
Rainer, specialized stumpjumper, Trek and a few others. I found the Giants had the best componants
for the buck. I'd go to your local bike shop and see what they carry.

"aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All,
>
> Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good
mountain
> bike in the $500-$750 range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but
kind
> of got out of shape and am trying to get back in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding,
> but nothing too hardcore.

You might want to try a single speed. Bianchi, Kona, RedLine all make bikes in that price range. See
if the LBS has one and take it for a healthy spin, you might like the high cadence. It does get you
back in shape sooner with less maintenance hassles. For light to moderate off road, don't think it
can be beat.

With a single speed, you can get a nice set of other components too, so the overall value is high.

My normally lurking $0.02

Mike

Towards the top of your price range, you'll start getting into some bikes with stronger components e.g. Specialized Rockhopper Comp or Trek 6700. I'm a heavyset bloke too (235lb, but falling thanks to diet and exercise :p), and was about to buy a Rockhopper Comp last week, but managed to get a great deal on a Klein Attitude instead.

The most important part of my decision was how the bike felt - the Klein has a higher overall level of components, but that's useless to you if the geometry of the bike doesn't fit. No point being uncomfortable on it forever, or having to spend a heap of dollars on replacement stems, headsets and bars just to find the right riding position on the wrong frame. In the end, the Klein fit me better and felt stronger for the same money.

Best advice? Go to you local bike shop and test ride all the bikes in your price range. There's also a good number of reviews on most bikes and components at www.mtbreview.com - I found this to be a good guide, but nothing will be more important to you than the way the geometry fits your body!

"aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello All,
>
> Not really that old and getting thinner here is looking for a good
mountain
> bike in the $500-$750 range. Rode some in college, over 10 yrs ago, but
kind
> of got out of shape and am trying to get back in now. Will do light to moderate off-road riding,
> but nothing too hardcore.
>
> Anyway i was wondering if you good folks could point me in the right direction here with brands-
> models, even web sources for comparison. I
have
> been checking out giant's web site and a few of the other major brands but not really sure what
> look for right now.
>
> Well i appreciate any info.
>
> Peace, Pilgrim

Just go to all the shops in your area and test ride different bikes. They all feel a bit different.
Get the one that fits you the best. Don't get all hung up on components, they'll all break and get
replaced eventually if you get into riding. By then you'll know what you want/need. Fit is by far
the most important. I don't care what color/name/level of components my bike is when I'm riding it.
But if it feels like it doesn't fit you won't want to ride it.

Chris

Hello,

I appreciate all the input. Looks like the consensus is hit the shops and see what's there that's
comfortable. I will do just that starting next week! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Peace, Pilgrim

> Just go to all the shops in your area and test ride different bikes. They all feel a bit
> different. Get the one that fits you the best. Don't get
all
> hung up on components, they'll all break and get replaced eventually if
you
> get into riding. By then you'll know what you want/need. Fit is by far the most important. I don't
> care what color/name/level of components my bike
is
> when I'm riding it. But if it feels like it doesn't fit you won't want to ride it.
>
> Chris

> [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "aPilgrimandaStranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip>
> > >
> > > Don't listen to brand names and those who spew them here. Test ride a buynch of bikes and buy
> > > the one that fits the best for you and your needs. Names is for tombstones, baby.
> > >
> > > JD
> >

> > Take JD's advice about brand names and spewing. He's the same person who spewed this:
> >
> > From: J. D. ([email protected]) Subject: Re: RST fork vs Manitou, RockShox View: Complete Thread
> > (11 articles) Original Format Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Date: 2002-08-30 08:15:26 PST
> >

> > You don't need to know anything other than Marzocchi.
> >
> > JD
>
> You are quite the dipshit, do you know that ricky? If you want I can dig up some of your psychotic
> ramblings. Your weak leg humping only confirms the obvious.

"I'm shaking in my little spaceboots".

Do what you want, jerome. You flip-flop so much. nobody knows what the hell your talking
about anyhow.

One day you tout a brand name because you own it, the next day brand names are only for mindless
drones. You cannot tell the difference between frame designs and who makes what.

Senile old hippies are pathetic.

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JD) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > You are quite the dipshit, do you know that ricky? If you want I can dig up some of your
> > psychotic ramblings. Your weak leg humping only confirms the obvious.
> >

> "I'm shaking in my little spaceboots".

How appropriate, coming from a spaced out dipshit.

> Do what you want, jerome. You flip-flop so much. nobody knows what the hell your talking
> about anyhow.

What I have to say is never intended to be understood by the more feeble minded.
Congratulations, ricky.

> One day you tout a brand name because you own it, the next day brand names are only for
> mindless drones.

Your cluelessness knows no bounds.

> You cannot tell the difference between frame designs and who makes what.

If you keep picking at it, it'll never heal. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

> Senile old hippies are pathetic.

Call me what you will, ricky. You don't know me, nor will ever get the opportunity to meet me and
kiss my boots. Being is that's how it is, you can keep humping my leg and kiss my ass.

JD say goodbye now ricky