Old flatlnder needs some advice.

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by smyrnachuck, Jul 28, 2010.

1. smyrnachuck

smyrnachuck New Member

I am a 64 yeark old Floridian. I have lost 75 lbs am at 218lbs with a target of 180 lbs. I am doing about 150 miles a week right now, staying within a cardio rate of 135-150. My resting pulse has decreased from 80 to 54. My recovery time is still at about 20 minutes thaough. Next June I am retirng and want to do a tour of Yellowstone and the Tetons. Here in coastal Florida aur only hills are a bridges. How can I train for altitude and the climbs here at sealevel. Any help would be appreciated.

Tags:

2. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

There are a lot of threads with this information including the popular it's killing me thread.

Here is a condensed version Link

Since you do not have the terrain just work on your functional threshold the best that you can either on the trainer or out on a good stretch of roadway.

The best news I can give you is that we (Georgia) have hoards of Florida cyclists come up each year and do our challenging Six Gap ride and/or the 3 State 3 Mountain ride. Those may not compare to the climbs out west, but my point is they come up and seem to cope well with climbing based on their fitness level. At least some of the ones that I have been able to ride adjacent to.

The bad news is most of them cannot descend well at all. That seems to be the tricky part since many of you do not get to pratice that part. We had a Miami woman die on the descent of Hog Pen Gap a couple years ago.

Best wishes

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Raise your intensity.Spin a bigger gear a the same cadence.Come and visit me I got climbs to spare.

4. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Wow! You've done a great job so far, Chuck.

As others mentioned, just keep increasing the intensity during your rides. As well as monitoring your heart rate, try to improve on the average speed of your rides.

You don't have those climbs were you live and ride to train on, so you've got to push yourself harder on the flat land that you do ride on.

You're doing good, just stay after it!