Old fork

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Pete Beall, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Pete Beall

    Pete Beall Guest

    I'm riding a Merlin Extra Light with a Time carbon fiber fork that is rolling over 35,000 miles.
    Only the frame, fork, and seat post are original equipment. I'm secure in the integrity of the
    frame, but heading down a hill last week I began to wonder about how carbon forks age: last forever,
    start to develop cracks and other warning signs, or fail catastrophically? Anyone know?
    --
    http://www.petebeall.net

    Tags:

  2. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    Pete Beall <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm riding a Merlin Extra Light with a Time carbon fiber fork that is rolling over 35,000 miles.
    > Only the frame, fork, and seat post are original equipment. I'm secure in the integrity of the
    > frame, but heading down a hill last week I began to wonder about how carbon forks age: last
    > forever, start to develop cracks and other warning signs, or fail catastrophically? Anyone know?

    I don't know. Why don't you pull the fork and inspect it and let us know what you find?

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't know. Why don't you pull the fork and inspect it and let us know what you find?

    His question was reasonable I think.

    It is certainly possible for carbon to delaminate partially inside a fork blade. Removing the fork
    would not be helpful in evaluating that. And since carbon cannot be inspected nondestructively
    except on the surface, one cannot be certain of the integrity after the vicissitudes of 35K miles.

    The airplane which took off from Kennedy and dumped in Queens late in 2001 had a carbon tail
    assembly which had been dropped during assembly. That fact was duly recorded but the piece could not
    be inspected beyond the surface. The carbon tail broke apart in flight.

    Hopefully the OP's fork does not harbor such a problem but how can he be sure?

  4. Pete Beall

    Pete Beall Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. Kraig is a good one to address this to. I don’t know if he’s still
    watching this list so I’ll try him directly.

    --
    news:[email protected]...