Old Gitane 10 spd

Scott E

Jul 11, 2004
I just found what I think to be a garage sale bargain. It's an old Gitane 10 spd. The guy said he bought it new in the early 70s. Problem is I'm not sure how to tell exactly what model it is. It says Campagnolo on the shifters and derailers, Mafac Racer on the brakes, Pivo on the handlebar stem and Rigida on the rims. Paint is white and the sticker by the seat says hand made in France.
Paint has scratches, tires are cracked but hold air and it could use some new cables but other than that it all works ands rides good.
Can anyone offer help in identifying this bike?

Scott

Originally posted by Scott E
I just found what I think to be a garage sale bargain. It's an old Gitane 10 spd. The guy said he bought it new in the early 70s. Problem is I'm not sure how to tell exactly what model it is. It says Campagnolo on the shifters and derailers, Mafac Racer on the brakes, Pivo on the handlebar stem and Rigida on the rims. Paint is white and the sticker by the seat says hand made in France.
Paint has scratches, tires are cracked but hold air and it could use some new cables but other than that it all works ands rides good.
Can anyone offer help in identifying this bike?

Scott

Sounds like a Super Corsa. Really the only performance bike they made with Campy bits. Got any pics?

Does it have stamped steel drop-outs?

the pics I took are to large (file size) to post. I'll reset the camra and try again tonight. whatever the bike is. probably worth the $10.00 I paid for it.

thanks for the reply, Scott

Originally posted by Scott E
the pics I took are to large (file size) to post. I'll reset the camra and try again tonight. whatever the bike is. probably worth the $10.00 I paid for it.

thanks for the reply, Scott

Its prolly wortha couple hundred unless its a grand sport.