Old Huffy, Need Advice

Gradanko

Mar 21, 2010
I don't know much about bikes so I'm looking for a little help. I'm a college student looking for a bike to ride on campus, and for occasional trail/path rides. I don't have much money so I'm looking to buy used.

I found a guy in town who collects/fixes/sells bikes and he has an older Huffy for sale for $55. I don't know if this is a reasonable price or if i should ask him to go lower. I went in and looked at the bike the other day, it is in fairly good condition, rides very well. I don't remember what the model was, but I do remember the frame said "Eagle..." (for the life of me I can't remember what the other word was). Also, he had fixed this bike up for a heavier man who was going to buy it, but he supposedly passed away, so the bike has new heavy duty tires and rims, as well as more heavy duty brakes from a different bike. He also has replaced the handle grips. He says he can also change the seat on the bike if I want, and he can change the front fork if I want too, for a little more money.

I was just wondering if $55 was an OK deal for a used bike like this, or if I should try to get him to go lower. Also, anyone who may know what the model of this bike might be please let me know.

A guy like that is called a flipper.

He's got a shed or garage or yard full of old bikes and puts together the good parts to sell. A new, low end wheelset costs more than $55 so it's not new.

Whether it's worth it totally depends on whether he's a conscientious guy or not. You don't know what his used parts went through before he put them on your huffy. Poorly assembled low end bikes from a department store (like huffy-unless it's very old) can be in pretty rough shape in the store, or get broken pretty quick. Then again, I've had a couple which held up for a while.