Old lady question;)

RobinfromBoston

Nov 9, 2004
Ick! I've developed some pretty nasty looking varicose veins in both legs in the past several years. I'm wondering whether other cyclists have had this problem. I've been riding for over 20 years and sometimes spend 3-5 hours on the bike each day. Because I don't have any of the 'risk factors' that I've read about as a cause for V.V.'s, I'm curious as to whether other cyclists have had the same problem.

Robin

FWIW my problem was related to vitamin C I took grape seed extract with citrus bioflavanoids to solve it.

RobinfromBoston said:
Ick! I've developed some pretty nasty looking varicose veins in both legs in the past several years. I'm wondering whether other cyclists have had this problem. I've been riding for over 20 years and sometimes spend 3-5 hours on the bike each day. Because I don't have any of the 'risk factors' that I've read about as a cause for V.V.'s, I'm curious as to whether other cyclists have had the same problem.

Robin

wiredued said:
FWIW my problem was related to vitamin C I took grape seed extract with citrus bioflavanoids to solve it.
How can varicose veins be related to Vit C?

wiredued said:
One of the effects of low vitamin C is vascular degeneration.
Wiredued - Thank you for your reply. Somehow I interpreted it like it was caused by Vitamin C as opposed to a deficiency. :confused: :p

I got VV too.

They first developed when I was very young - 20 maybe - I had them fixed in the hospital (they cut them out actually) because I was very sensitive about wearing shorts.

They've come back now - I'm 52. I'm not as sensitive as I once was about wearing shorts, but they still bother me. I may have them taken out again one day.

I don't relate either occurence to something medically wrong with me - some people are just prone to this, and unfortunately I'm one of them.

since 1979 when my family doctor suggested it, I wear compression stockings.
I prefer Jobst brand moderate compression knee high 15-20 mmHg.
No varicose veins. I am 75 this year. 6-3 280 lbs. I ride almost every day.

Maybe part of the problem with the v.v.'s is genetic, but I was thinking of all the riding I did when I was in my 20's and 30's without any thought to cooling down the muscles post rides. I guess back then I wasn't aware or even concerned about blood pooling in the legs! Just a hunch that maybe this blood pooling caused the valves in my legs to work very hard and that contributed to the development of v.v.'s.

Anyway, for those of you who aren't cooling down, let my mistake be a lesson.

Ride on, all.:)

I'm not an expert but that made sense to me.

RobinfromBoston said:
Maybe part of the problem with the v.v.'s is genetic, but I was thinking of all the riding I did when I was in my 20's and 30's without any thought to cooling down the muscles post rides. I guess back then I wasn't aware or even concerned about blood pooling in the legs! Just a hunch that maybe this blood pooling caused the valves in my legs to work very hard and that contributed to the development of v.v.'s.

Anyway, for those of you who aren't cooling down, let my mistake be a lesson.

Ride on, all.:)