Old Manitou elastomers wanted!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eurastus, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
    These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
    Manitou 2.

    I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
    legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other leg.
    The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the longer red
    elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running through
    them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech on the
    phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with the
    program and buy something less than a decade old".

    Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
    and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
    does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
    more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.

    I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
    the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.

    Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    replacement set...or something that will fit.

    According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
    and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good either).
    There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502.
    Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these were new...

    Ideas?

    Thanks for your time,

    Eurastus.

    Tags:

  2. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a
    model
    > number or name. These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back
    in
    > the late 80's-early 90's, before the Manitou 2.

    <snip>

    > Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas
    where
    > I might find a replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    > According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are
    Answer
    > part numbers 040164 and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers
    as
    > well since they don't look too good either). There is also a "Soft Ride"
    kit
    > listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502. Frankly,
    the
    > latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    were
    > new...

    I ran into a similar problem with a different fork. My solution was to replace the elastomers with
    springs made by mountainspeed. I would contact them ([email protected]) and ask what they might
    have as a replacement. Of course, their website is www.mountainspeed.com

    Good luck! -Buck

  3. Ground Zero

    Ground Zero Guest

    "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a
    > model
    > > number or name. These are the first suspension forks Answer produced
    back
    > in
    > > the late 80's-early 90's, before the Manitou 2.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas
    > where
    > > I might find a replacement set...or something that will fit.
    > >
    > > According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are
    > Answer
    > > part numbers 040164 and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers
    > as
    > > well since they don't look too good either). There is also a "Soft
    Ride"
    > kit
    > > listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502.
    Frankly,
    > the
    > > latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    > were
    > > new...
    >
    > I ran into a similar problem with a different fork. My solution was to replace the elastomers with
    > springs made by mountainspeed. I would contact them ([email protected]) and ask what they
    > might have as a
    replacement.
    > Of course, their website is www.mountainspeed.com
    >
    > Good luck! -Buck

    Eko Sport might still have some of the first edition Englund Air Cartridges for your fork....
    www.ekosport.com

    The MountainSpeed Speed Springs and Englund cartridges will be a big improvement over the elastomers
    your fork came with.

    Also, your LBD might be able to locate a fork crown with a 1" steerer tube for a later model fork.
    If you can find a used fork in good condition and get a 1" steerer/fork crown assembly, you can get
    your bike back on the trails fairly inexpensively.

    Good luck with your search!

    Stuart Ground Zero Cycles [email protected]

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Eurastus wrote:

    > I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
    > These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
    > Manitou 2.
    >
    > I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the
    > fork legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the
    > other leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered
    > the longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt
    > running through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but
    > the tech on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested
    > I" get with the program and buy something less than a decade old".
    >
    > Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1"
    > steerer and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that,
    > this bike does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the
    > bike...maybe even more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
    >
    > I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
    > on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >
    > Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    > replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    > According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
    > and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
    > either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
    > 85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    > were new...
    >
    > Ideas?

    Have you called Answer/Manitou?

    I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
    someone bought their stock and took over, etc. So you might look them up too. I've gotten a lot of
    weird old Rockshox parts from them over the years.

    Matt O.

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
    >the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >
    >Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >replacement set...or something that will fit.

    Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
    when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
    I believe.

    Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.

  6. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Yes, I called Answer--read my original message. I'll try Loose Screws; that's good advice.

    Thanks for your help.

    Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Eurastus wrote:
    >
    >> I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
    >> These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
    >> Manitou 2.
    >>
    >> I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the
    >> fork legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the
    >> other leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered
    >> the longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt
    >> running through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but
    >> the tech on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested
    >> I" get with the program and buy something less than a decade old".
    >>
    >> Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1"
    >> steerer and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that,
    >> this bike does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the
    >> bike...maybe even more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
    >>
    >> I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
    >> on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >>
    >> Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >> replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >>
    >> According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
    >> and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
    >> either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
    >> 85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    >> were new...
    >>
    >> Ideas?
    >
    >Have you called Answer/Manitou?
    >
    >I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
    >someone bought their stock and took over, etc. So you might look them up too. I've gotten a lot of
    >weird old Rockshox parts from them over the years.
    >
    >Matt O.

  7. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Thanks Mark, I'll do that. Unfortunately, I left them at home this morning--I don't have them with
    me to measure, etc. I'll remember to bring them tomorrow and call you.

    Thanks for the help,

    Eurastus.

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
    >>on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >>
    >>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >>replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    >Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
    >when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
    >I believe.
    >
    >Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.
    >
    >Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  8. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Thanks Mark, I'll do that. Unfortunately, I left them at home this morning--I don't have them with
    me to measure, etc. I'll remember to bring them tomorrow and call you.

    Thanks for the help,

    Eurastus.

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
    >>on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >>
    >>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >>replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    >Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
    >when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
    >I believe.
    >
    >Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.
    >
    >Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Matt O'Toole
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
    >someone bought their stock and took over, etc.

    Actually they closed the business and then decided to reopen it some months later, mostly
    eliminating the tools from their catalog.

    --Paul

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Ground Zero
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Also, your LBD might be able to locate a fork crown with a 1" steerer tube for a later model fork.

    Should be able to find new Marzocchi 1" threadless forks, and RST as well. Whether they will screw
    up the geometry significantly is another question. The Marzocchi's tend to be a little expensive but
    if the bike is a keeper it's probably worthwhile.

    --Paul

  11. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Hey, Guys...

    I got out the box the forks came in and discovered several interesting items. I found the original
    sales receipt, which proves I am the original owner. Not only that, but I found a 8-page glossy
    insert that touted the great features of the fork. Right there, on page 5 it states the fork has an
    "exclusive two year warranty" however, this is followed by a statement that there is a "lifetime
    warranty on bushings, seals, and elastomers."

    Most curious, no? I suppose this warrants (pun intended) another call to Answer tech support.

    Wish me luck,

    Eurastus

    Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
    >These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
    >Manitou 2.
    >
    >I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
    >legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other
    >leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the
    >longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running
    >through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech
    >on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with
    >the program and buy something less than a decade old".
    >
    >Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
    >and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
    >does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
    >more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
    >
    >I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
    >the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >
    >Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    >According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
    >and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
    >either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
    >85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    >were new...
    >
    >Ideas?
    >
    >Thanks for your time,
    >
    >Eurastus.

  12. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap. He
    repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
    literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
    really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

    Hope someone out there is still reading this thread and can give me some leads on replacement
    elastomers.

    By the way, Someone suggested Loose Screws...I found them but no help...they had nothing.

    Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
    >These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
    >Manitou 2.
    >
    >I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
    >legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other
    >leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the
    >longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running
    >through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech
    >on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with
    >the program and buy something less than a decade old".
    >
    >Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
    >and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
    >does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
    >more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
    >
    >I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
    >the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
    >
    >Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
    >replacement set...or something that will fit.
    >
    >According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
    >and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
    >either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
    >85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
    >were new...
    >
    >Ideas?
    >
    >Thanks for your time,
    >
    >Eurastus.

  13. Eurastus

    Eurastus Guest

    Yes. I called MountainSpeed; they had nothing that would fit. I called the company that made the
    Englunds (out of Grand Junction CO); they also had nothing that would fit. Mark stated that he had
    elastomers for the Manitou
    4/5. Answer's support tech reported that they will not fit.

    I believe I am reading the group carefully.

    Thanks for your words though,

    Eurastus...

  14. In article <[email protected]>, Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap.
    >He repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
    >literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though
    >I'd really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

    They have done the right thing here, take them up on it.

    --Paul

  15. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
    Support
    > manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
    be
    > found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
    send me
    > a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd really
    like
    > to get the old Manitou running instead.

    That's the best possible outcome - the SX-R is a sweet fork. Much better than the old Manitou I (of
    which I've owned 2). I replaced my Marzocchi Bomber with a Manitou Magnum, and find it to be a
    superior fork in all respects. The SX-R is even better than the Magnum, from what I hear; but have
    never tried it myself.

    Your paperwork and follow-up really paid off. Let's give Manitou some kudos for honoring the
    warranty without too many hassles. They probably get a lot of "my fork is trashed; but I only did an
    8 ft drop on it" kind of calls; and it must get tiresome trying to differentiate between legit
    claims and abusers wanting a free ride (pun intended).

    Glad to hear your success story. Enjoy your new fork - hope it lasts you another 10 years.

    -Barry

  16. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    B. Sanders wrote:

    > "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
    > Support
    >> manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
    > be
    >> found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
    > send me
    >> a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd really
    > like
    >> to get the old Manitou running instead.
    >
    > That's the best possible outcome - the SX-R is a sweet fork. Much better than the old Manitou I
    > (of which I've owned 2). I replaced my Marzocchi Bomber with a Manitou Magnum, and find it to be a
    > superior fork in all respects. The SX-R is even better than the Magnum, from what I hear; but have
    > never tried it myself.
    >
    > Your paperwork and follow-up really paid off. Let's give Manitou some kudos for honoring the
    > warranty without too many hassles. They probably get a lot of "my fork is trashed; but I only did
    > an 8 ft drop on it" kind of calls; and it must get tiresome trying to differentiate between legit
    > claims and abusers wanting a free ride (pun intended).
    >
    > Glad to hear your success story. Enjoy your new fork - hope it lasts you another 10 years.

    Excellent! This says a lot about the company. I'd take them up on the offer -- the SX-R is a great
    fork, way better than any old-style bumper Manitou.

    Matt O.

  17. Ed J .

    Ed J . Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap.
    >He repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
    >literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though
    >I'd really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

    Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the "lifetime
    warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the "useful life" of
    the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim would be honored.
    They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.

    I bought a Marzocchi instead.

    -Ed

  18. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Ed J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
    Support
    > >manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
    be
    > >found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
    send me
    > >a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
    really like
    > >to get the old Manitou running instead.
    >
    > Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the
    > "lifetime warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the
    > "useful life" of the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim
    > would be honored. They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.

    Wow, that's quite a difference. Maybe Answer/Manitou has had a change of policy in the interim
    period since you contacted them. That could happen. (Or maybe the received threats of lawsuits for
    failing to honor their warranty terms.)

    > I bought a Marzocchi instead.

    Can't go wrong there. They're good forks - a little heavy; but well made.

    -Barry

  19. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    B. Sanders wrote:

    > "Ed J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
    > Support
    >> >manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
    > be
    >> >found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
    > send me
    >> >a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
    > really like
    >> >to get the old Manitou running instead.
    >>
    >> Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the
    >> "lifetime warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the
    >> "useful life" of the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim
    >> would be honored. They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.
    >
    > Wow, that's quite a difference. Maybe Answer/Manitou has had a change of policy in the interim
    > period since you contacted them. That could happen. (Or maybe the received threats of lawsuits for
    > failing to honor their warranty terms.)
    >
    >> I bought a Marzocchi instead.
    >
    > Can't go wrong there. They're good forks - a little heavy; but well made.

    Here's a nice warranty story.

    One of my friends rescued a bike from a junk pile in another friend's backyard, where it had
    probably been sitting for over 20 years. It was a Schwinn beach cruiser, a little rusty and with a
    few parts missing. But after a good cleanup and a few new pieces, it was pressed into daily service.

    He rode it for several weeks, until one day the frame broke when he rolled off a curb. He thought
    nothing of it, but his dad insisted Schwinns had a lifetime warranty that could be pursued. So
    feeling a little silly, he called Schwinn, who told him to bring the bike to the local Schwinn
    dealer for inspection. About three days later, the dealer called back, and told him to come in and
    pick up his new bike -- not just a frame, but a whole brand new beach cruiser!

    Maybe that's why Schwinn went bankrupt. However, my friend has ridden only Schwinns ever since --
    maybe not new ones, but he's sure spent plenty on parts, fixing up old ones. (The one he got for
    free was stolen just a few days later.)

    Matt O.