Old Manitou elastomers wanted!!

Eurastus

Guest
I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
Manitou 2.

I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other leg.
The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the longer red
elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running through
them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech on the
phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with the
program and buy something less than a decade old".

Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.

I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.

Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
replacement set...or something that will fit.

According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good either).
There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502.
Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these were new...

Ideas?

Thanks for your time,

Eurastus.

"Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a
model
> number or name. These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back
in
> the late 80's-early 90's, before the Manitou 2.

<snip>

> Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas
where
> I might find a replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
> According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are
Answer
> part numbers 040164 and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers
as
> well since they don't look too good either). There is also a "Soft Ride"
kit
> listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502. Frankly,
the
> latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
were
> new...

I ran into a similar problem with a different fork. My solution was to replace the elastomers with
springs made by mountainspeed. I would contact them ([email protected]) and ask what they might
have as a replacement. Of course, their website is www.mountainspeed.com

Good luck! -Buck

"Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a
> model
> > number or name. These are the first suspension forks Answer produced
back
> in
> > the late 80's-early 90's, before the Manitou 2.
>
> <snip>
>
> > Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas
> where
> > I might find a replacement set...or something that will fit.
> >
> > According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are
> Answer
> > part numbers 040164 and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers
> as
> > well since they don't look too good either). There is also a "Soft
Ride"
> kit
> > listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is 85-3502.
Frankly,
> the
> > latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
> were
> > new...
>
> I ran into a similar problem with a different fork. My solution was to replace the elastomers with
> springs made by mountainspeed. I would contact them ([email protected]) and ask what they
> might have as a
replacement.
> Of course, their website is www.mountainspeed.com
>
> Good luck! -Buck

Eko Sport might still have some of the first edition Englund Air Cartridges for your fork....
www.ekosport.com

The MountainSpeed Speed Springs and Englund cartridges will be a big improvement over the elastomers
your fork came with.

Also, your LBD might be able to locate a fork crown with a 1" steerer tube for a later model fork.
If you can find a used fork in good condition and get a 1" steerer/fork crown assembly, you can get
your bike back on the trails fairly inexpensively.

Good luck with your search!

Stuart Ground Zero Cycles [email protected]

Eurastus wrote:

> I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
> These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
> Manitou 2.
>
> I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the
> fork legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the
> other leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered
> the longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt
> running through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but
> the tech on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested
> I" get with the program and buy something less than a decade old".
>
> Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1"
> steerer and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that,
> this bike does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the
> bike...maybe even more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
>
> I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
> on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>
> Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
> replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
> According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
> and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
> either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
> 85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
> were new...
>
> Ideas?

Have you called Answer/Manitou?

I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
someone bought their stock and took over, etc. So you might look them up too. I've gotten a lot of
weird old Rockshox parts from them over the years.

Matt O.

Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
>the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>
>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>replacement set...or something that will fit.

Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
I believe.

Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.

Yes, I called Answer--read my original message. I'll try Loose Screws; that's good advice.

Thanks for your help.

Matt O'Toole <[email protected]> wrote:
>Eurastus wrote:
>
>> I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
>> These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
>> Manitou 2.
>>
>> I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the
>> fork legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the
>> other leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered
>> the longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt
>> running through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but
>> the tech on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested
>> I" get with the program and buy something less than a decade old".
>>
>> Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1"
>> steerer and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that,
>> this bike does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the
>> bike...maybe even more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
>>
>> I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
>> on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>>
>> Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>> replacement set...or something that will fit.
>>
>> According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
>> and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
>> either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
>> 85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
>> were new...
>>
>> Ideas?
>
>Have you called Answer/Manitou?
>
>I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
>someone bought their stock and took over, etc. So you might look them up too. I've gotten a lot of
>weird old Rockshox parts from them over the years.
>
>Matt O.

Thanks Mark, I'll do that. Unfortunately, I left them at home this morning--I don't have them with
me to measure, etc. I'll remember to bring them tomorrow and call you.

Thanks for the help,

Eurastus.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
>>on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>>
>>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>>replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
>Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
>when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
>I believe.
>
>Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.
>
>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Thanks Mark, I'll do that. Unfortunately, I left them at home this morning--I don't have them with
me to measure, etc. I'll remember to bring them tomorrow and call you.

Thanks for the help,

Eurastus.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just
>>on the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>>
>>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>>replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
>Believe it or not, I have a few of the things still sitting around (I bought 'em to have in stock
>when I was going overseas for a while, and then upgraded the fork). They were for the Manitou 4/5
>I believe.
>
>Drop me a line and we'll see if there's some sort of trade we can do.
>
>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

In article <[email protected]>, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I think Loose Screws used to sell these. They were out of business, but up and running again, or
>someone bought their stock and took over, etc.

Actually they closed the business and then decided to reopen it some months later, mostly
eliminating the tools from their catalog.

--Paul

In article <[email protected]>, Ground Zero
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Also, your LBD might be able to locate a fork crown with a 1" steerer tube for a later model fork.

Should be able to find new Marzocchi 1" threadless forks, and RST as well. Whether they will screw
up the geometry significantly is another question. The Marzocchi's tend to be a little expensive but
if the bike is a keeper it's probably worthwhile.

--Paul

Hey, Guys...

I got out the box the forks came in and discovered several interesting items. I found the original
sales receipt, which proves I am the original owner. Not only that, but I found a 8-page glossy
insert that touted the great features of the fork. Right there, on page 5 it states the fork has an
"exclusive two year warranty" however, this is followed by a statement that there is a "lifetime
warranty on bushings, seals, and elastomers."

Most curious, no? I suppose this warrants (pun intended) another call to Answer tech support.

Wish me luck,

Eurastus

Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
>These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
>Manitou 2.
>
>I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
>legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other
>leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the
>longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running
>through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech
>on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with
>the program and buy something less than a decade old".
>
>Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
>and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
>does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
>more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
>
>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
>the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>
>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
>According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
>and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
>either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
>85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
>were new...
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Eurastus.

Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap. He
repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

Hope someone out there is still reading this thread and can give me some leads on replacement
elastomers.

By the way, Someone suggested Loose Screws...I found them but no help...they had nothing.

Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>I've got a pair of the original Answer Manitou forks. They don't have a model number or name.
>These are the first suspension forks Answer produced back in the late 80's-early 90's, before the
>Manitou 2.
>
>I was out on a ride with the kids the other day and heard a ripping sound come from one of the fork
>legs when I hit a moderate bump. This was immediately followed by the same sound from the other
>leg. The fork bottomed out and I knew I had problems. I took the fork apart and discovered the
>longer red elastomers in both legs had split down the length, exposing the long Allen bolt running
>through them. I called Answer this morning to find if they still stocked replacements but the tech
>on the phone practically laughed at me when I mentioned how old these are. He suggested I" get with
>the program and buy something less than a decade old".
>
>Well, fine...not what I wanted to hear. The fork is mounted on an older Slingshot with a 1" steerer
>and all the forks I can find in the 1" size these days are very low-end. Besides that, this bike
>does not have V-brakes and frankly I don't want to replace 1/2 the parts on the bike...maybe even
>more if I need a 1 1/8" steerer frame.
>
>I've got the split elastomers in my pocket, prepared to visit every LBS in a 50-mile radius just on
>the off chance they have something in the junk drawer that might fit.
>
>Before I do that, I'm looking for advice from the community on any ideas where I might find a
>replacement set...or something that will fit.
>
>According to the manual that came with these, what I'm looking for are Answer part numbers 040164
>and 040197 ( ought to replace the shorter elastomers as well since they don't look too good
>either). There is also a "Soft Ride" kit listed as part number 85-3501 and a "Firm Ride" kit is
>85-3502. Frankly, the latter would be fine as well---I don't weigh quite what I did when these
>were new...
>
>Ideas?
>
>Thanks for your time,
>
>Eurastus.

Yes. I called MountainSpeed; they had nothing that would fit. I called the company that made the
Englunds (out of Grand Junction CO); they also had nothing that would fit. Mark stated that he had
elastomers for the Manitou
4/5. Answer's support tech reported that they will not fit.

I believe I am reading the group carefully.

Thanks for your words though,

Eurastus...

In article <[email protected]>, Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap.
>He repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
>literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though
>I'd really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

They have done the right thing here, take them up on it.

--Paul

"Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
Support
> manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
be
> found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
send me
> a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd really
like
> to get the old Manitou running instead.

That's the best possible outcome - the SX-R is a sweet fork. Much better than the old Manitou I (of
which I've owned 2). I replaced my Marzocchi Bomber with a Manitou Magnum, and find it to be a
superior fork in all respects. The SX-R is even better than the Magnum, from what I hear; but have
never tried it myself.

Your paperwork and follow-up really paid off. Let's give Manitou some kudos for honoring the
warranty without too many hassles. They probably get a lot of "my fork is trashed; but I only did an
8 ft drop on it" kind of calls; and it must get tiresome trying to differentiate between legit
claims and abusers wanting a free ride (pun intended).

Glad to hear your success story. Enjoy your new fork - hope it lasts you another 10 years.

-Barry

B. Sanders wrote:

> "Eurastus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
> Support
>> manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
> be
>> found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
> send me
>> a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd really
> like
>> to get the old Manitou running instead.
>
> That's the best possible outcome - the SX-R is a sweet fork. Much better than the old Manitou I
> (of which I've owned 2). I replaced my Marzocchi Bomber with a Manitou Magnum, and find it to be a
> superior fork in all respects. The SX-R is even better than the Magnum, from what I hear; but have
> never tried it myself.
>
> Your paperwork and follow-up really paid off. Let's give Manitou some kudos for honoring the
> warranty without too many hassles. They probably get a lot of "my fork is trashed; but I only did
> an 8 ft drop on it" kind of calls; and it must get tiresome trying to differentiate between legit
> claims and abusers wanting a free ride (pun intended).
>
> Glad to hear your success story. Enjoy your new fork - hope it lasts you another 10 years.

Excellent! This says a lot about the company. I'd take them up on the offer -- the SX-R is a great
fork, way better than any old-style bumper Manitou.

Matt O.

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:

>Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer Support manager. Nice chap.
>He repeated the message that no elastomers were to be found. Because of the warranty phrase on the
>literature, he offered to send me a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though
>I'd really like to get the old Manitou running instead.

Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the "lifetime
warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the "useful life" of
the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim would be honored.
They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.

I bought a Marzocchi instead.

-Ed

"Ed J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
Support
> >manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
be
> >found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
send me
> >a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
really like
> >to get the old Manitou running instead.
>
> Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the
> "lifetime warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the
> "useful life" of the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim
> would be honored. They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Maybe Answer/Manitou has had a change of policy in the interim
period since you contacted them. That could happen. (Or maybe the received threats of lawsuits for
failing to honor their warranty terms.)

> I bought a Marzocchi instead.

Can't go wrong there. They're good forks - a little heavy; but well made.

-Barry

B. Sanders wrote:

> "Ed J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 , Eurastus <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Update...I called Answer back and was able to speak with the Customer
> Support
>> >manager. Nice chap. He repeated the message that no elastomers were to
> be
>> >found. Because of the warranty phrase on the literature, he offered to
> send me
>> >a 2001 SX-R fork as a replacement. I suppose that's OK, though I'd
> really like
>> >to get the old Manitou running instead.
>>
>> Wow, that's interesting. When I called Answer for bushings for my 97 FS Ti and qouted the
>> "lifetime warranty" line from the manual, I was told that the term "lifetime" referred to the
>> "useful life" of the fork, which they had determined to be 3 years - therefore no warranty claim
>> would be honored. They did offer me a "discount" on a new last-year's-model fork.
>
> Wow, that's quite a difference. Maybe Answer/Manitou has had a change of policy in the interim
> period since you contacted them. That could happen. (Or maybe the received threats of lawsuits for
> failing to honor their warranty terms.)
>
>> I bought a Marzocchi instead.
>
> Can't go wrong there. They're good forks - a little heavy; but well made.

Here's a nice warranty story.

One of my friends rescued a bike from a junk pile in another friend's backyard, where it had
probably been sitting for over 20 years. It was a Schwinn beach cruiser, a little rusty and with a
few parts missing. But after a good cleanup and a few new pieces, it was pressed into daily service.

He rode it for several weeks, until one day the frame broke when he rolled off a curb. He thought
nothing of it, but his dad insisted Schwinns had a lifetime warranty that could be pursued. So
feeling a little silly, he called Schwinn, who told him to bring the bike to the local Schwinn
dealer for inspection. About three days later, the dealer called back, and told him to come in and
pick up his new bike -- not just a frame, but a whole brand new beach cruiser!

Maybe that's why Schwinn went bankrupt. However, my friend has ridden only Schwinns ever since --
maybe not new ones, but he's sure spent plenty on parts, fixing up old ones. (The one he got for
free was stolen just a few days later.)

Matt O.