old mtn. bike, any current comparison

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
Wow, how biking has changed. Around 1990 or so I bought a Schwinn Sierra MOS mountain bike. I was actually looking at the specialized rockhopper but they were out so were offering a 50 dollar discount on the schwinn. Anyway, I absolutely loved that bike but ended up selling it after college(stupid me). What is a fairly equivalent model today? I'm wondering about schwinn quality since they've changed ownership. I've been looking at the schwinn mesa, specialized hard rock and rock hopper. I don't mind spending a fair amount of money but no more riding than I'll be doing I don't want to overspend. I figure any of these will be far superior to what I was used to. I will only be riding in the evenings and on weekends. Most riding will be offroad but not really hardcore, downhill, hardass riding. Let me know what would likely be best. My local bike shops carry schwinn, GT, specialized and one other brand I can't recall, maybe KHS or something similar. I am looking most closely at the specialized hardrock and the schwinn Mesa. I'm also wondering about the SRAM components since they are new to me. Thanks in advance, Greg

I think that if you're considering the hard rock, you can get the Trek 4300, or the equivalent model. I got it like two years ago, around $400, I think. Great bike, fairly light, fun, tough, an all around good investment.

We'll see how I do. I'm planning on buying a GT avalanche 2.0 disc. It fits me well and the LBS has it in stock. I ordered the 2005 avalanche 2.0 for my 9 yr. old son. We're going to start riding together. We both need the exercise and it will bring back my youth, lol. Thanks, Greg