OLD newbie - fix up old Trek or just buy new?

BORT

Guest
I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
3 digits).

Here are my options:

1. The local bike shop's entry point is in the $250~$300 range.
PRO: new tech, new bike
CON: wife's against spending, I'm not keen on full-blown research

2. Re-hang old frame with new parts.
PRO: new quality parts, possible on $75~$150
CON: need to research

3. Give in and buy a department store POS bike for $80.
PRO: probably OK for around the block with wife and kids
CON: oh the shame!, how long will it last?

My preferred choice is #2 -- ESPECIALLY if I can come in around the #3
budget!

Can anyone recommend a decent-quality components list that totals under
$100? Here's what I would most likely replace (in order):

1. derailleurs (front and rear)
2. all cables
3. brake pads
(up to here is essential. Following would be if I had money left)
4. front chainring (it came with those horrible eccentric chainrings.
I replaced one or two of them years ago.)
5. tires (since I'll have a good sized order if I go mailorder... but
probably buy local anyway)

better yet..
5a. tires and rims (but that seems like a budget-buster for sure)

I can find components from catalogs and online, but I would sure
appreciate your advice on what the smart money purchase is. Also, I'm
out of date on frame geometry and construction. Anything wrong with
the antique (I saw some guy on ebay selling a bike kinda like mine. He
was saying how great the chro-moly frames were and how "they just don't
make 'em this anymore!" Is there a reason?)?

TIA,
BORT

On 2 Jan 2005 20:29:10 -0800, "BORT" <[email protected]>
wrote:

You should post this in rec.bicycles also. This topic comes up over
there all the time, and there is a lot of experience, including people
who have been off bicycles for years and coming back.

>I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
>old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
>the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
>new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
>chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
>3 digits).

Model number would help a lot. I would rebuild a 900 series frame, I'd
ride an 800 series into the ground, and I'd walk away from a 700. But
that's just me.

Also the major parts on the bike would be good. Shimano? Number of
gears? Shifter model name? Derailluers? Maybe hub model, rim model,
etc.

>Here are my options:
>
>1. The local bike shop's entry point is in the $250~$300 range.
>PRO: new tech, new bike
>CON: wife's against spending, I'm not keen on full-blown research

Probably not going to get you anything better than what you have
already.

>2. Re-hang old frame with new parts.
>PRO: new quality parts, possible on $75~$150
>CON: need to research

Can get to be very expensive. Need to evaluate the present condition
of all the parts, do the math.

>3. Give in and buy a department store POS bike for $80.
>PRO: probably OK for around the block with wife and kids
>CON: oh the shame!, how long will it last?

The shame of doing this should last a long long time, I hope.

>My preferred choice is #2 -- ESPECIALLY if I can come in around the #3
>budget!
>
>Can anyone recommend a decent-quality components list that totals under
>$100? Here's what I would most likely replace (in order):
>
>1. derailleurs (front and rear)
>2. all cables
>3. brake pads
>(up to here is essential. Following would be if I had money left)

Why do the derailleurs need replacing?

Do the cables and housings, brake shoes. Clean everything, put it back
together, and then ride it for a week or two or three.

>4. front chainring (it came with those horrible eccentric chainrings.
>I replaced one or two of them years ago.)
>5. tires (since I'll have a good sized order if I go mailorder... but
>probably buy local anyway)
>
>better yet..
>5a. tires and rims (but that seems like a budget-buster for sure)
>

>I can find components from catalogs and online, but I would sure
>appreciate your advice on what the smart money purchase is. Also, I'm
>out of date on frame geometry and construction. Anything wrong with
>the antique (I saw some guy on ebay selling a bike kinda like mine. He
>was saying how great the chro-moly frames were and how "they just don't
>make 'em this anymore!" Is there a reason?)?
>

>TIA,
>BORT

Hard to give specific recommendations without more specifics on what
is wrong. All in all, think hard about using a local bike shop.
Although some of the prices may seem high compared to mail order, they
can save you money by giving you proper guidance and evaluations. They
can look at the whole bike and sell you what will work.

If you are buying Shimano MTB parts, I think that Deore is a good line
to look at. Easily available, solid design, and good value. Alivio
(lower) and LX (higher) also have some good values and quality.

Nothing wrong with steel. Look around, do some math, talk to a local
shop and have them go over some options with you. Maybe take a couple
of their bikes out for a test ride.

Dan,

You wrote:
>Why do the derailleurs need replacing?

>Do the cables and housings, brake shoes. Clean everything, put it back
>together, and then ride it for a week or two or three.

Thanks for asking the obvious! As you may have guessed, I haven't dug
the bike out of the shed yet. Thinking about it a little more, I don't
KNOW that the derailleurs need replaced. I remember something happened
(crash, maybe?) and I was never able to adjust them properly afterwards
(could it have been when I replaced the Biopace chainring with a round?
Dunno.).

Anyway, cables and pads, then test -- YES! Now why didn't I think of
that?

NOTE: I already talked to one local shop. Dude wanted to sell a bike -
not make a customer. I know another shop, but haven't visited yet.
However it's next door to a GREAT local outdoor store. If they're
owned by like-minded folks, I have no problem being their customer.
Thanks again!

Still haven't dug bike out of shed, but after looking at:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trekpromoa.htm#pg11

I'm next to positive I had the Trek 800 (I remember the color is Ecru
and blue, though I thought the year was 1989).

Here's what the page says about the specs:
1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
3. Shimano Exage Country group
4. Black alloy stem is teamed with black upright handlebars
5. Araya alloy rims and Matrix tires
6. The Trek 800 features sure stopping Shimano Exage brakes
Now you know (probably)

Thanks again!

> I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
> old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
> the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
> new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
> chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
> 3 digits).

Get me a model number (should be on the top tube) and anything that's
written on the rear derailleur (Shimano? Suntour? Exage? etc) and I can give
you a much better idea of what the possibilities are.

But I do come across 15 year old bikes sometimes that actually need very
little work. Sometimes somebody wants to leave one for a tune-up and it
turns out that about three minutes of effort and a bit of oil and the bike's
ready to go!

There are two reasons for getting a new bike. First, could be that it's not
worth the effort to fix up the old one... parts hard to get, too many things
worn out, whatever. Second, if buying you a new bike would cause you to want
to ride more, that's fine too. But the price range you're looking at isn't
going to get you something that will seem so special that you'll achieve
some sort of magical motivation to get out and ride (unless a new paint job
is all it takes!).

If the equipment on your older hybrid is Shimano, I think the odds favor
great results through renovation without spending a whole lot of money. If
it's got Suntour, it becomes a bit more complicated, as you're dealing with
legacy issues (older stuff that isn't compatible with current replacement
parts). But even if it's Suntour, if the bike never had all that much use,
it's not a problem. Bikes don't go terribly bad just because they're adding
up the years. They go bad because of exposure to the elements and hard
miles.

> Anything wrong with
> the antique (I saw some guy on ebay selling a bike kinda like mine. He
> was saying how great the chro-moly frames were and how "they just don't
> make 'em this anymore!" Is there a reason?)?

You can make a great frame out of steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber...
probably even bamboo if you do it right. Presently, aluminum is the most
cost-effective way to build lightweight & strong frames, so that's where the
market's gone.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"BORT" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
> old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
> the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
> new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
> chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
> 3 digits).
>
> Here are my options:
>
> 1. The local bike shop's entry point is in the $250~$300 range.
> PRO: new tech, new bike
> CON: wife's against spending, I'm not keen on full-blown research
>
> 2. Re-hang old frame with new parts.
> PRO: new quality parts, possible on $75~$150
> CON: need to research
>
> 3. Give in and buy a department store POS bike for $80.
> PRO: probably OK for around the block with wife and kids
> CON: oh the shame!, how long will it last?
>
> My preferred choice is #2 -- ESPECIALLY if I can come in around the #3
> budget!
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent-quality components list that totals under
> $100? Here's what I would most likely replace (in order):
>
> 1. derailleurs (front and rear)
> 2. all cables
> 3. brake pads
> (up to here is essential. Following would be if I had money left)
> 4. front chainring (it came with those horrible eccentric chainrings.
> I replaced one or two of them years ago.)
> 5. tires (since I'll have a good sized order if I go mailorder... but
> probably buy local anyway)
>
> better yet..
> 5a. tires and rims (but that seems like a budget-buster for sure)
>

> I can find components from catalogs and online, but I would sure
> appreciate your advice on what the smart money purchase is. Also, I'm
> out of date on frame geometry and construction. Anything wrong with
> the antique (I saw some guy on ebay selling a bike kinda like mine. He
> was saying how great the chro-moly frames were and how "they just don't
> make 'em this anymore!" Is there a reason?)?
>

> TIA,
> BORT

"BORT" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Here's what the page says about the specs:
> 1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
> 2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
> 3. Shimano Exage Country group
> 4. Black alloy stem is teamed with black upright handlebars
> 5. Araya alloy rims and Matrix tires
> 6. The Trek 800 features sure stopping Shimano Exage brakes
> Now you know (probably)

I was leaning towards fix-as-needed, but now that you've described it,
I'm wondering if an inexpensive bike from a bike shop wouldn't be more
satisfying. Still, it might be worth evaluating its condition before deciding.

> I'm next to positive I had the Trek 800 (I remember the color is Ecru
> and blue, though I thought the year was 1989).
>
> Here's what the page says about the specs:
> 1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
> 2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
> 3. Shimano Exage Country group
> 4. Black alloy stem is teamed with black upright handlebars
> 5. Araya alloy rims and Matrix tires
> 6. The Trek 800 features sure stopping Shimano Exage brakes
> Now you know (probably)
>
> Thanks again!

If she's in decent shape, the main things that might be in need of attention
are the bottom bracket (replace the old one with a newer inexpensive
cartridge unit) and the brakes... those might have been the ones that had
their springs located in a plastic piece that would tend to fail after a
while.

The shift levers might need a bit of resuscitation with a bit of PowerLube
(available at finer auto parts stores everywhere!); even if they work OK,
I'd still flood them with it as a preventive measure.

Basically you've got a decent around-town type bike.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On 2 Jan 2005 22:40:06 -0800, "BORT" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Still haven't dug bike out of shed, but after looking at:
>
>http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trekpromoa.htm#pg11
>
>I'm next to positive I had the Trek 800 (I remember the color is Ecru
>and blue, though I thought the year was 1989).
>
>Here's what the page says about the specs:
>1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
>2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
>3. Shimano Exage Country group
>4. Black alloy stem is teamed with black upright handlebars
>5. Araya alloy rims and Matrix tires
>6. The Trek 800 features sure stopping Shimano Exage brakes
>Now you know (probably)
>
>Thanks again!

If it was me, I'd do the cables, housing, and pads. If it needs a new
derailleur, Alivio or Deore level.

Since I do my own work, repacking the hubs, truing the wheels, etc.
doesn't cost me anything.

But first, I'd just put air in the tires, check the brakes, and start
out going around the block. See what works, what doesn't. I see 800
series Treks all the time on the streets, in all levels of wear and
disrepair, and people are riding them.

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> writes:

>> I'm next to positive I had the Trek 800 (I remember the color is Ecru
>> and blue, though I thought the year was 1989).
>>
>> Here's what the page says about the specs:
>> 1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
>> 2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
>> 3. Shimano Exage Country group

I wouldn't say that "Exage" is "archival quality" in terms of bicycle
components. Rather, its truly throwaway quality. My vote would be to
go for a new bike, if your pocketbook can afford it, and you'll be
using it frequently (you WILL be COMMUTING on it WON'T YOU?!?!) and
use this bike as a backup or sell it on ebay to help finance the new
machine.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On 2 Jan 2005 22:40:06 -0800, "BORT" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Still haven't dug bike out of shed, but after looking at:
>
>http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trekpromoa.htm#pg11
>
>I'm next to positive I had the Trek 800 (I remember the color is Ecru
>and blue, though I thought the year was 1989).
>
>Here's what the page says about the specs:
>1. (SNIP! ...irrelevant)
>2. Tange MTB Chromoly main tubes
>3. Shimano Exage Country group
>4. Black alloy stem is teamed with black upright handlebars
>5. Araya alloy rims and Matrix tires
>6. The Trek 800 features sure stopping Shimano Exage brakes
>Now you know (probably)

You're getting some good advice here - I'll chime in with fix it first then see
if it's suitable. Tires might be rotted; cable and housings likely a mess and
the brake shoes are hard as rocks. Lube and clean and adjust mostly. Those were
pretty decent bikes - the present bottom end of the bike store bike market will
not have as nice a frame, though many of the components have evolved since then.

Fix it enough to ride and then upgrade the parts that annoy you.

Ron

From: "Mike Jacoubowsky":

>> I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
>> old and hasn't seen daylight in at least >>5 years.

>I'm wondering about (snip)

"Replacing parts, finding a good shop for buying/maintainance" I believe were
the pertinent points.

(M. J.) made some good points:

>But I do come across 15 year old bikes sometimes that actually need very
>little work. Sometimes somebody wants to leave one for a tune-up and it
>turns out that about three minutes of effort and a bit of oil and the bike's
>ready to go!

I didn't quickly find the similar section(s) in Sheldon Brown's compendium of
bicycle information:

<http://www.sheldonbrown.com/>

but a good excuse to go look, if you are not familiar.

If you use this project as an "audition" for that other shop you're
considering, you might do the first cleaning yourself.

A gunky used chain, I might just replace instead of bothering with a cleaning
or even measuring for wear (also covered in Sheldon's site). Rubber gloves, off
and into the trash. YMMV.

Spares bag, pump? A little decent weather? Convivial companions, some easy
miles to get started? --TP

On 03 Jan 2005 15:27:41 GMT, [email protected]ospam (Tom Paterson)
wrote:

>A gunky used chain, I might just replace instead of bothering with a cleaning
>or even measuring for wear (also covered in Sheldon's site). Rubber gloves, off
>and into the trash. YMMV.

Changing a chain can lead to needing to change the rear cogs. It all
depends on the wear of the whole drivetrain.

I'd suggest a good cleaning only until the OP has a better idea of
what he is going to do with the bike.

"BORT" wrote:
> I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
> old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
> the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
> new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
> chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
> 3 digits).

Oh, come on BORT. You probably don't have 100 miles on yer old bike. Just
pump up the tires and GO RIDE!

Art Harris

From Dan Daniel:

>Changing a chain can lead to needing to change the rear cogs. It all
>depends on the wear of the whole >drivetrain.

True.

I made assumptions from the OP's statements. My bias here is I don't like
messing with dirty chains and that replacing is a lot easier than cleaning.
New, clean chains make cogs and chainwheels last as long as possible.

After that, not wanting to devolve into pointless "discussion" that turns off
the OP, I'll say that this is a "try it and see" deal. Hindsight, etc.

Hence the suggestion to get a spares bag together (another assumption, but
posed as a question), and to look for good weather and companions to enjoy the
ride.

I could add "cyclometer"; I got a Cateye wireless from Santa (I guess I was
"good enough") and yes it is fun to play with, and a reasonable encouragement
to get the average daily distance up to respectable levels <g>.

Are we having a happy new year yet?
--TP

wrote:

>I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
>old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
>the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
>new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
>chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
>3 digits).
>
>Here are my options:
>
>1. The local bike shop's entry point is in the $250~$300 range.
>PRO: new tech, new bike
>CON: wife's against spending, I'm not keen on full-blown research

Sounds like a risky proposition. Moving on...

>2. Re-hang old frame with new parts.
>PRO: new quality parts, possible on $75~$150
>CON: need to research

Need to research a bit and shop around closely if you're going to
equal what was on the original.

>3. Give in and buy a department store POS bike for $80.
>PRO: probably OK for around the block with wife and kids
>CON: oh the shame!, how long will it last?

Better plan, in my opinion: Clean up the drivetrain and lube the
moving parts, and see how it all works. If the bike was in
riding-ready condition when it was parked, it probably isn't far from
it now. Okay, you'll probably need tires and tubes; cheap ones for
evaluation purposes need not set you back as much as $20 unless it's a
roadie with 700C rims

>My preferred choice is #2 -- ESPECIALLY if I can come in around the #3
>budget!

You might, depending on what needs to be swapped out and where you get
it.

>Can anyone recommend a decent-quality components list that totals under
>$100? Here's what I would most likely replace (in order):
>
>1. derailleurs (front and rear)
>2. all cables
>3. brake pads
>(up to here is essential. Following would be if I had money left)

Why the ders? Were the old ones known to be fubar? It's much more
likely that you'd need a chain, and maybe a freewheel, in my
estimation.

>4. front chainring (it came with those horrible eccentric chainrings.
>I replaced one or two of them years ago.)

If they've already been replaced, then there shouldn't be any need to
revisit that item unless it is was worn out before the bike was
parked.

>5. tires (since I'll have a good sized order if I go mailorder... but
>probably buy local anyway)
>
>better yet..
>5a. tires and rims (but that seems like a budget-buster for sure)

Unless the rims are damaged, I would not replace them.

>I can find components from catalogs and online, but I would sure
>appreciate your advice on what the smart money purchase is. Also, I'm
>out of date on frame geometry and construction. Anything wrong with
>the antique (I saw some guy on ebay selling a bike kinda like mine. He
>was saying how great the chro-moly frames were and how "they just don't
>make 'em this anymore!" Is there a reason?)?

In my opinion, the smart money is spent this way:

Buy tires, tubes, and a little grease and oil. Clean and lube the
bearings, chain and other such, ride and evaluate whether the brake
pads need to be replaced. (They *probably* do, but pleasant surprises
are possible.)

Once you've had a chance to see what's working well and what isn't, a
more accurate picture can be painted of what really needs to be
replaced and what doesn't.

For component recommendations, it would be good to know if this is a
mountain bike, a roadie, a hybrid, or whatever.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:00:16 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 2 Jan 2005 20:29:10 -0800, "BORT" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>I've been thinking about riding again after years. My bike is 15 years
>>old and hasn't seen daylight in at least 5 years. I'm wondering about
>>the tradeoffs of buying new components for this old frame vs. buying a
>>new, low-end bike from the bike shop. My antique is a hybrid Trek
>>chro-moly something-or-other (I've forgotten the model! ...but it was
>>3 digits).
>>
>>Here are my options:
>>
>>1. The local bike shop's entry point is in the $250~$300 range.
>>PRO: new tech, new bike
>>CON: wife's against spending, I'm not keen on full-blown research

>Sounds like a risky proposition. Moving on...
>
>>2. Re-hang old frame with new parts.
>>PRO: new quality parts, possible on $75~$150
>>CON: need to research

>Need to research a bit and shop around closely if you're going to
>equal what was on the original.
>
>>3. Give in and buy a department store POS bike for $80.
>>PRO: probably OK for around the block with wife and kids
>>CON: oh the shame!, how long will it last?

>Better plan, in my opinion: Clean up the drivetrain and lube the
>moving parts, and see how it all works. If the bike was in
>riding-ready condition when it was parked, it probably isn't far from
>it now. Okay, you'll probably need tires and tubes; cheap ones for
>evaluation purposes need not set you back as much as $20 unless it's a
>roadie with 700C rims

I had the same problem awhile back and found Maxxis at Jensen for $9 a piece.
They're round.

Ron

"Dan Daniel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2 Jan 2005 20:29:10 -0800, "BORT" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> You should post this in rec.bicycles also.

You must mean rec.bicycles.misc -- no one reads rec.bicycles.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Tom Paterson wrote:

> After that, not wanting to devolve into pointless "discussion"...

Quit trying to alter rec.bicycles.tech tradition! ;)

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:42:57 GMT, RonSonic <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:00:16 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>
>>...Okay, you'll probably need tires and tubes; cheap ones for
>>evaluation purposes need not set you back as much as $20 unless it's a
>>roadie with 700C rims

>I had the same problem awhile back and found Maxxis at Jensen for $9 a piece.
>They're round.

Yup, and when you add the price of tubes, it's still a bit over $20.
As you say, though, that's not a bad deal for something round that
will hold the tube in place around a 700 rim. By comparison, though,
while I'm not overly impressed with the 27" tires from Bell, for
sprucing up an old roadie, hybrid or English bike that has that size
of rim, sometimes it's nice to be able to get something that costs
less than $8 without having to search for it.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.