Old original Scott Clip-on bars: Anybody know the weight?

Bob s.

May 9, 2003
Hi,
Two years ago I retired my trek 880 with the original scott clip-on's for a new trek 5200. I've missed the bars ever since, and am thinking of getting the syntace c2 clip-ons. I'm curious though what the weight difference is between these and the old ones I had(actually still have somewhere). I tried to find an old performance catalog and couldn't. Anybody happen to have one? These bars were the straight aluminum horseshoe w/slight upward bend at the nose, and the elbow rests could be turned either inside or outward, and were fixed (they didn't flip up or anything).
Actually, I wonder if I dug them up if they'd fit the new bars? Maybe the weight isn't that different from those sold today.
--Bob

Bob s. said:
Hi,
Two years ago I retired my trek 880 with the original scott clip-on's for a new trek 5200. I've missed the bars ever since, and am thinking of getting the syntace c2 clip-ons. I'm curious though what the weight difference is between these and the old ones I had(actually still have somewhere). I tried to find an old performance catalog and couldn't. Anybody happen to have one? These bars were the straight aluminum horseshoe w/slight upward bend at the nose, and the elbow rests could be turned either inside or outward, and were fixed (they didn't flip up or anything).
Actually, I wonder if I dug them up if they'd fit the new bars? Maybe the weight isn't that different from those sold today.
--Bob

I have a pair of these - medium length, I think. I don't remember the weight but I would guess it's somewhere between 500 and 600g - a bit heavier than the Syntace C2. They are designed for the narrow diameter part of the bar -the 22mm section rather than the center 26mm section. So if your bars taper down quick enough, they should go on OK.

I like the C2 much better. You can dial in the arm rest separation (as you noted, the "Clip-On" has only two positions) and you can mount bar-end shifters on them. Plus they mount on the fat 26mm section of the bar which gives back a hand position for seated climbing.

Thanks, I was wondering about the need for flip-up pads when they are that close together. I remember the clip-ons lost that position because of the clamp/armrest mount. So it sounds like with the C2 there's enough room under the pads for hands? Great! I just bought the C2 for a gift for my sister who does triathalons, and was thinking about a gift for the trek 5200.
I got her the C2 and the bar connector. Figure I really liked the additional stiffness of the connected bar, and she would too. It also gives her a place for the computer, and reduces the 'skewer' effect in the event of a collision. I always liked the dead-center spot for hands just because.
Thanks!
--Bob