Old Racing Bike

monty1

Oct 2, 2003
Has anyone heard of or know anything about an old bike maker in Liverpool called Jim Soens(brother of Eddie).
I have been handed down an old frame of his and would like to restore it if possible, it was bought second hand in Liverpool in 1967.
Any information on bike or person gratefully received.

monty1 said:
Has anyone heard of or know anything about an old bike maker in Liverpool called Jim Soens(brother of Eddie).
I have been handed down an old frame of his and would like to restore it if possible, it was bought second hand in Liverpool in 1967.
Hello Monty1,

By a coincidence I noticed your note re. Jim Soens.
In the late 1950's , in Liverpool,as a young schoolboy,I had a school pal who lived in Lomond Road, around the corner from Jim Soens' shop ,which was in Edge Lane. The shop,I believe was on a short row of old Victorian shops. I knew one of Jim's appentices of the time, and recall seeing the small workshop, at the back of the shop, with a couple of bicycle frames in jigs awaiting brazing . Jim Soens was probably a middle aged chap at that time.
I recall swapping a couple of model aircraft engines with that apprentice , in exchange for old bike parts, which included a Freddie Grubb frame. I still have the bike that I assembled! Pity that I cut off the Cyclo(or was it Campag?) lug,in order to accomodate another make of derailleur gear!

Well,Monty1, I know that it doesn't tell you much about J.S.,but your note stirred one or two old memories for me

CharSiu

CharSiu said:
Hello Monty1,

By a coincidence I noticed your note re. Jim Soens.
In the late 1950's , in Liverpool,as a young schoolboy,I had a school pal who lived in Lomond Road, around the corner from Jim Soens' shop ,which was in Edge Lane. The shop,I believe was on a short row of old Victorian shops. I knew one of Jim's appentices of the time, and recall seeing the small workshop, at the back of the shop, with a couple of bicycle frames in jigs awaiting brazing . Jim Soens was probably a middle aged chap at that time.
I recall swapping a couple of model aircraft engines with that apprentice , in exchange for old bike parts, which included a Freddie Grubb frame. I still have the bike that I assembled! Pity that I cut off the Cyclo(or was it Campag?) lug,in order to accomodate another make of derailleur gear!

Well,Monty1, I know that it doesn't tell you much about J.S.,but your note stirred one or two old memories for me

CharSiu

By coincidence you found a three year old post by a guy who posted exactly one message his entire CF career? And this is your first post as well?

I don't think Monty's still reading.

monty1 said:
Yes I knew Jim Soens, he was the brother of Eddie and I also think Tommy was a brother. (Tom Simpson rode one of his bikes around 1967 at New Brighton in a crit when something happened to his Peugeot - there used to be a photo of him on it at the 2 mills cafe for many years)

Jim was a very quiet unassuming sort of chap. He built frames and my dad, Pete who sadly died this summer, rode Jim's frames as an independent and as a pro in 1967 or 1968 when the professional status started in the UK.

Jim's shop was in Lower Breck Road in Liverpool and his business was sold to Pete Matthews, I think in the mid to late 1970's when Jim retired to Prees Heath in Shropshire.

I remember his frames were famous for their fancy lugs ( I think they may have been Nervex but cannot be sure) and his decals were quite simply "Jim Soens" in what appeared to be be Old English writing.

I will always remember Jim as he was a gentle old man who used to give me sixpence every time I went in the shop with my dad.

As far as his frames go, I haven't seen one for many a year, although I suspect there may be one or two tucked away in my dad's hoard which I am about to sort out.

I hope my recollections have been useful.

Cheers

Chris

monty1 said:
I know your question is an old one but I have only just managed to get registered on this site. i don't know why it took so long.

I still the have bike I bought from Jim Soens in about 1965, and it still looks the part even now.

Jim's shop was in Lower Brack Road and I went there many times. He was always pleasant and struck me as being a kind and caring sort.

I recall a certain friendly rivalry between owners of Jim & Eddie Soens bikes, and between all of them and R J Quinn owners.

If you reply to this please using the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

I used to stad anf drool outside Jim Soens shop looking at the campag chain sets and wondering how I could get the money to buy one.

Jims shop was not on Edge Lane (that was RJ Quinn i.e Ronnie and Jack) but Lower Breck road Liverpool 5. Jim made great racing frame that were famous in Liverpool at the time, I bought my first cycling shoes from him. ( could never afford the campag stuff in those days)

When Jim retired, Pete Mathews took over the business, in fact I can remember Pete being in the shop when Jim ran it and them discussing who had the best what, Jim with his Longines or Pete who I think had an Omega.....happy days...