Old School Bicycles

IgnisDraconis

Aug 27, 2006
I just had a though - inspired by 80s-90s bikes. How would I go about getting one from this era, new preferably or old in good condition. I'm thinking Colnago c40. I want to start with a base and built my own...an choose the colour

IgnisDraconis said:
I just had a though - inspired by 80s-90s bikes. How would I go about getting one from this era, new preferably or old in good condition. I'm thinking Colnago c40. I want to start with a base and built my own...an choose the colour
Try looking in skips.

macguyver said:
What is / are skips???
===========================================================
"Skips" are what some countries refer to large outdoor bins for putting non recycable junk into.
Obviously not a comment(above) to be taken seriously!:)

Try looking in pawn shops, charity stores, places like that. Ebay is a bit hit and miss, Craiglist might be worth a try.

Also, the comment about skips is not entirely frivolous, people have found some amazingly good old bikes thrown out in the trash.

from ebay:

Ok here i have a old 27in or 28in malvern star 2 star semi racer.The serial number is 81855 and the bike f+f are still in pretty good shape but there is some dents under the downtube so they will need to be fixed as you will see in the pic but if your after a cheap 2 star here's one.So if you have any questions please ask.

ps my boyfriend told me he rescued the bike from a guy that was going to use it as fill to strengthen his concrete in his patio.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/27IN-VINTAGE-2-STAR-SEMI-RACER-F-F-BIKE-BICYCLE_W0QQitemZ260032360823QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42319QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one mans trash etc..

IgnisDraconis said:
This mail order (Randall Scott Cycling Company) company is selling an old school Merckx replica team issue Seven Eleven bike from the early eighties, can't get more old school than that.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.8/category.171/.f

IgnisDraconis said:
I just had a though - inspired by 80s-90s bikes. How would I go about getting one from this era, new preferably or old in good condition.
To get one new would probably be best accomplished with time travel...

Otherwise, the above responses contain good suggestions... also hit every bike shop you run across, I occasionally read in the forums of an old bike being picked up at a shop that has been just sitting there for years... Pretty rare, but you might find one.

Also, nice bikes will occasionally surface that someone bought new and rode a couple of times... someone just getting into cycling that decided it would be worth $2,000 to get a nice bike... and then losing interest faster than they gained it.

There is no magic, or people would have grabbed them all by now... Just keep your eyes and ears open, and let people know you are looking for an old bike so you maximize the number of people looking. Just be prepared to explain, "No, this Huffy isn't quite what I am looking for." But, do it politely so they keep looking for you. :)

There is no sure fire source, but there are several hit and miss ideas, and the more you check, the more likely you will stumble onto something nice.

And don't discount a bicycle because it isn't in great shape... It may be easier to fix up a bike that you want than to keep looking until you find one in perfect shape. If you find that C40 you want, in the wrong color, or with a dull or scraped finish, you can make it the right color and brand new looking for a couple of hundred dollars...

Thomas Edison said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Bigbananabike said:
===========================================================
"Skips" are what some countries refer to large outdoor bins for putting non recycable junk into.
Obviously not a comment(above) to be taken seriously!:)
Reminds me of what happened to my old green single speed Schwinn Typhoon paper boy bike in 1978. I lived in a crappy neighborhood so my dad never let me have a real ten speed because he was worried I would get knocked off by some thief. (man, those schwinn varsities and continentals were so cool). Eventually, my bike was stolen outside the local convenience store, but my dad found it a few days in our Town dump, which was our version of a "skip".

That's rough when your bike is such a piece of ****, even the thieves throw it away as trash. They did take the large heavy duty basket, because that was actually worth something. But my friends mocked me unmercifully after that as the owner of a bike so crappy that even a theif would reject it.

kopride said:
That's rough when your bike is such a piece of ****, even the thieves throw it away as trash. They did take the large heavy duty basket, because that was actually worth something. But my friends mocked me unmercifully after that as the owner of a bike so crappy that even a theif would reject it.
Now you are as tuff as nails because of this and you can now have any bike that you wish. :D

IgnisDraconis said:
I have come across some frames, wheels and complete bikes at the dumps many times. You might try some large second-hand stores like Deseret and GoodWill. Another excellent option is Garage Sales. I have seen many bikes at bargain prices at the few that I have gone to.

lw