Old School Concor saddle vs. Concor Light

SJCheese

Mar 3, 2004
First off, great forum! My early '80's Concor is deteriorating and it's time for a new saddle. For anyone out there who has made the switch to the Concor Light, what is your opinion? Same feel? Does the "non-slip" version add any benefit or is that just a marketing tool?

SJCheese said:
First off, great forum! My early '80's Concor is deteriorating and it's time for a new saddle. For anyone out there who has made the switch to the Concor Light, what is your opinion? Same feel? Does the "non-slip" version add any benefit or is that just a marketing tool?
i haven't tried it but am considering it if and only if my current saddle finds gives up the ghost. the concor light can be found cheap sub-50, so it's worth a shot. At the very least some big name pros, at least lance and eki stick prefer it. Most have soemthign making it a lot better than the not actually that much lighter superlight models. I hear the newer version are a bit thinner in front

Thanks for the input kgruscho, I went ahead and bought the one with the Ti rails, $50 from Excel Sports ($30 for cr-mo rails). I ride a steel frame, so every little bit helps! Just mounted it this afternoon, haven't ridden it yet. The tail of the new version does not come up quite as high as my old one, but we'll see how it goes. The Light is also much narrower top-to-bottom than the original- with the original you couldn't see the rails, with the Light they are clearly visible, as well as most of the seatpost clamp assembly. It is significantly lighter than my old one. Now I just need to replace my ancient SR Laprade beast of a seatpost...

I don't know how the "newer" Concor Lite saddles are but I still have one of the first of those to come out, circa mid '90's, 205 grams. It's an interesting saddle and I really want to like it, but it does tend to make "mon noixs" get numb or sleepy. I just recently was using it again, on a compact frame bike I built up, but after a 100 k or so I put it back on my old Bottecchia and haven't ridden it since. Lance seems to swear by it, and the numbness thing is so different for us all. I also had a numbness experience with a Selle Italia SLR. The saddle that currently works the best for me is a San Marco Aspide, which is very narrow...the key for me I guess...and very hard, which I wish it wasn't, but I can ride for hours on it so go figure. The Concor Lite has a great upturn in the back and it's padding is real nice, and I love it's retro look so I keep hanging on to it. Your making me want to try it since I put it back on the Bottecchia...so I'll give a report when I do that.

Thanks tonepad. I haven't had any problems w/ numbness, hopefully it won't start with a saddle change. I'm sad to put the old Concor up on a shelf, but it's time for a change. It was actually a hand-me-down from my father, so it's had a good, long life. Hope this one lasts just as long.