old school vs. new

gman0482

Aug 13, 2009
Hey everyone, I have a 2000 Jamis Nova with a (very) XL frame. I love the bike, even more now that I put about $300 into it. But I was wondering if something new would make a huge difference or benefit me more. I am 6'4" tall so the frame is good for me. I'm not an experienced rider (yet) but ride almost everyday.

Thanks,

-Greg

Are you asking us if it is OK for you to buy a new bike? We really cannot give you an answer without knowing you or your bike after you added $300.00 of upgrades to it. What kind of riding are you wanting to do? Does the Jamis fit you? If the Jamis fits and takes care of what you are wanting to do, why change right now? Get more experience, save a little more money to put toward a new bike, and then go get what you want when you know what it is.

What he said. You'll have integrated braking/shifting. Nothing has come out in the last 9 years to top that. External BB is functionally irrelevant. Extra gears are always nice, but you might not notice with the Jamis (It likely has 9 cogs in back.). Bikes today weigh less, but as with external BB's, that means nothing when it comes to function.

What kind of shape is the bike in? Post a piccie or two.

I still ride, sq taper bb, box rim tubies and dare I say, an aluminum frame, so you can probably guess where I'll weigh in on this. I tend to think any technological upgrades always pale in comparison to fitness upgrades. Plus as Alienator said, the last big breakthrough (integrated shift/brake levers) predates 2000 by a number of years, so there is nothing too old-school about the Jamis.

I would make sure your wheels are nice and true, and the bearings are turning smoothly. This is always where you get a nice speed increase from equipment.

gman0482 said:
Hey everyone, I have a 2000 Jamis Nova with a (very) XL frame. I love the bike, even more now that I put about $300 into it. But I was wondering if something new would make a huge difference or benefit me more. I am 6'4" tall so the frame is good for me. I'm not an experienced rider (yet) but ride almost everyday.

Thanks,

-Greg

4 things have a big effect on performance.

-Bike Fit-does the bike fit you?
-Fitness-are you cycling fit?
-Fat-lack thereof on you
-Finesse-riding(and/or) racing smart.

It's about the motor, not the bike. Keep it clean, well maintained, functional. Make sure the gearing is proper for you and your needs, 'Ride lots'. The bike is there to get you there, nothing more.

Thanks everyone, yea the only thing I was looking at was mostly my frame. Mine is round and thin (steel?), as to the new ones that are carbon and thicker. I was wondering what effect does a taller frame, mine being VERY tall, to a shorter one. would it make big difference for someone like me who is 6'4" ?

An improper frame size results in discomfort, and fatigue when riding. Riding what you have will make you aware of a size problem. It seems like a steel frame bike judging by the photo. Steel has many fans among cyclists to this day and is prized for comfortable ride quality, durability, and being somewhat repairable if you prang it. Ride it and see if you like it. It seems to be a good bike. Save your pennies for your dream bike if you really get into cycling. Don't waste your money on upgrades of an older bike. Learn to wrench on it. If you get a dream bike keep it as a commuter/"beater".
Want a real performance enhancement? Get rid of what appear to be Cyclocross tires that you have on it and get some real road specific tires.

That picture was taken before I did any replacement and tune up to it. I got new tires (road), new chain, tape, casette, and did a full pro tune up. $300 to be exact. And waiting on my shoes to come in so I can install pedals.

The answer is no, I do not think it would not make a huge diference. It would however, make a noticable difference in the ride feeling. note I did not say ride quality. A bigger difference might be if you now have a double and you get a triple. I live in Seattle and my favorite bike is a double Merckx, but there are some hills that you are just not going to be making it up with a double. As someone who has 5 road bikes I am under no misconception that a different bike will make the ride better. They all make the ride different.That, I like.
gman0482 said:

Thanks,

-Greg

martinrjensen said:
The answer is no, I do not think it would not make a huge diference. It would however, make a noticable difference in the ride feeling. note I did not say ride quality. A bigger difference might be if you now have a double and you get a triple. I live in Seattle and my favorite bike is a double Merckx, but there are some hills that you are just not going to be making it up with a double. As someone who has 5 road bikes I am under no misconception that a different bike will make the ride better. They all make the ride different.That, I like.

Throw on a compact double, and presto changeo, you make it up those hills.