Old Shimano Cassette, any out there?

gclark8

Apr 13, 2004
I am restoring a 1988 Gordonson steel frame road bike, it is fitted with a Simano Rear Freehub Body, and a 5 speed 14-28 cassette, the 14 tooth sprocket is also the lockring.

I am looking for a 6 speed 12 or 13 to 24 tooth 6 speed cassette to fit this freehub body, it has no large spline, all splines are the same size. Any local help will be appreciated.

gclark8 said:
I am restoring a 1988 Gordonson steel frame road bike, it is fitted with a Simano Rear Freehub Body, and a 5 speed 14-28 cassette, the 14 tooth sprocket is also the lockring.

I am looking for a 6 speed 12 or 13 to 24 tooth 6 speed cassette to fit this freehub body, it has no large spline, all splines are the same size. Any local help will be appreciated.
If you are doing more of a "functional" rather than a "for show" restoration, I hope you realize that you can just enlarge the narrow notch on any Shimano cog to use it on the older freehub body ... paint it a dark bronze OR "blue" the steel.

The spacers from 7-speed cassettes should work ... if you need to shim them some more (if you are using 9-speed cogs, for instance), then you can make additional "gaskets" from aluminum soda/beer cans.

The threaded last cog on the old Dura Ace 6-speed (?) freehub was a smaller size, as you may have ascertained if you are looking at one -- as small as 11t were available (speaking from actually having one).

Thanks for the reply, I am building it up as a spare bike, a 6 speed 12-24 cassette would be more useable than the original. I hoped someone local (Perth) may have one in the shed.

If no response over the holidays, I may change the freehub body and fit an 8 speed, but that means more $$ for shifters. ;) .

gclark8 said:
Thanks for the reply, I am building it up as a spare bike, a 6 speed 12-24 cassette would be more useable than the original. I hoped someone local (Perth) may have one in the shed.

If no response over the holidays, I may change the freehub body and fit an 8 speed, but that means more $$ for shifters. ;) .
George,

I don't think you are following what I wrote ...

If you look at the freehub whose splines are all the same size, you will see that the non-symmetrical pattern is the SAME except for ONE ... you can either grind the indexing spline narrower (a "stupid" recommendation which Sheldon Brown makes, BTW) or use a large, flat file and (with the EDGE) enlarge the notch on the cogs to fit the particular freehub (MY "stupid" recommendation).