Old Sk00l Bike ****

NickZX6R

Guest
I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.

Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!

WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
steel and lugs. Proceed with care.

http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html

I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the road
next week. Woohoo!

BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't be
arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.

--
Nick

NickZX6R said:
I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.

Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!

WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
steel and lugs. Proceed with care.

http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html

I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the road
next week. Woohoo!

BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't be
arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.

--
Nick

Much prettier than mine. You ARE going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

Resound wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
>
>>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
>>
>>Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!
>>
>>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
>>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
>>
>>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
>>

>>I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the
>>road
>>next week. Woohoo!
>>
>>BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't be
>>arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.
>>
>>--
>>Nick

> Much prettier than 'mine'
> (http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Resound/fixie/). You ARE
> going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

Dunno yet. Still struggling with the keep-it-original/full-on-fixie
dilemma. A paint job would be really nice so I might do those at the
same time.

Although you just don't see them anymore - seems a shame to destroy them.

--
Nick

NickZX6R said:
<<dodgy snippage>>

nno yet. Still struggling with the keep-it-original/full-on-fixie
dilemma. A paint job would be really nice so I might do those at the
same time.

Although you just don't see them anymore - seems a shame to destroy them.

--
Nick
Hey wait a minute - dont grind up that frame!! Or even repaint it - that will make such a nice fixie even with 6 or 8 grams of extra steel on it... Just let it be and build up on it.

Tom (pleading for preservation of bicycle art :) )

NickZX6R said:
I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.

Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!

WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
steel and lugs. Proceed with care.

http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html

Nick

That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!

not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya, but never say never...).
Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
What's the scoop?

and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and said,
"And this must be Dutchy!" :D

PS what gearing you going for?

F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]
> Resound wrote:
>> You ARE
>> going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

> Dunno yet. Still struggling with the keep-it-original/full-on-fixie
> dilemma. A paint job would be really nice so I might do those at the same
> time.
>
> Although you just don't see them anymore - seems a shame to destroy them.

There's no harm in leaving them on. It's one thing to grind
up an old Apollo (sorry Vege) but it's another to chop a
much nicer frame like this. Got any details on Marinoni?
Whatever it is, it looks quite nice. I'd keep it original, but
that's me.

hippy

Resound wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
> > I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
> >
> > Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!
> >
> > WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes

were
> > steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
> >
> > http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
> >

> > I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the
> > road
> > next week. Woohoo!
> >
> > BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't

be
> > arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.
> >
> > --
> > Nick

> Much prettier than 'mine'
> (http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Resound/fixie/). You ARE
> going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?
>

> --
> Resound

I picked up a Malvern Star frame similar to that one during council
collection. Anyone heard of an "Equipe" ? I don't know anything about
it other than it has tange 1 tubing.

It might become a singlespeed sooner or later...
http://202.154.103.179/~graeme/malvern_star_equipe.html

Graeme

flyingdutch wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
>
>>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
>>
>>Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!
>>
>>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
>>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
>>
>>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
>>
>>Nick

> That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!
>
> not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
>
> Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it
> way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya,
> but never say never...).
> Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
> What's the scoop?
>
> and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
> You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and
> said,
> "And this must be Dutchy!" :D
>
> PS what gearing you going for?
>
> F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

Sorry about that. You provoked me by overtaking ;)

I was riding out to my mate's place (Doncaster) and back. I live 2.4kms
from work so I don't get to commute as such. So I do other people's
commutes instead :)

For more info on Marinoni... http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/eng_index.asp

Details are sketchy but it seems Guiseppe Marinoni was a pro Italian
(duh) racer who met his future wife while racing in Canada. So he
married her and stayed there. Don't know if he's still alive.

The serial number on the frame is 41171 and I suspect the 71 is year of
manufacture. That's pretty consistent with the frame.

I thought you might like the green :)

--
Nick

Graeme said:
Resound wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
> > I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
> >
> > Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!
> >
> > WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes

were
> > steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
> >
> > http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
> >

> > I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the
> > road
> > next week. Woohoo!
> >
> > BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't

be
> > arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.
> >
> > --
> > Nick

> Much prettier than 'mine'
> (http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Resound/fixie/). You ARE
> going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?
>

> --
> Resound

I picked up a Malvern Star frame similar to that one during council
collection. Anyone heard of an "Equipe" ? I don't know anything about
it other than it has tange 1 tubing.

It might become a singlespeed sooner or later...
http://202.154.103.179/~graeme/malvern_star_equipe.html

Graeme

Kinda sorta in that it's got the single star on the head tube. Lugs and dropouts are different though. Also, if that frame fits you, you're a lot taller than me :)

Incidentally, having taken another look at those pics, I'm inclined to agree with those I've offended...it is a bit too nice to butcher.

flyingdutch wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
>
>>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
>>
>>Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!
>>
>>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
>>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
>>
>>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
>>
>>Nick

> That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!
>
> not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
>
> Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it
> way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya,
> but never say never...).
> Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
> What's the scoop?
>
> and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
> You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and
> said,
> "And this must be Dutchy!" :D
>
> PS what gearing you going for?
>
> F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

Marinoni just emailed me saying it was built 28/9/94.

That seems a bit late for a 126mm spacing and lots of chrome and
stainless steel.

I though 126mm was only good for 5 or 6 speed. Maybe it was built
originally for 7sp?

Anyone know which frame spacings work with which drivetrains?

--
Nick

NickZX6R said:
Marinoni just emailed me saying it was built 28/9/94.

That seems a bit late for a 126mm spacing and lots of chrome and
stainless steel.

I though 126mm was only good for 5 or 6 speed. Maybe it was built
originally for 7sp?

Anyone know which frame spacings work with which drivetrains?

--
Nick

well...

Mine's circa '98 and has lots of chrome and steel (dunno about the stainless part?)
Get yourself down to PeterMooreCycles who can respace that sucker for ya

It's obviously all become too much for me. Last night I dreamt I bought
a new house and when movign in discovered the previous owner had left a
shed full of track frames, parts and tools. You don't get obsessive
dreams like that from RUNNING.

DaveB

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> It's obviously all become too much for me. Last night I dreamt I bought
> a new house and when movign in discovered the previous owner had left a
> shed full of track frames, parts and tools. You don't get obsessive
> dreams like that from RUNNING.

Oh I'm sure some of us do.. you know who you are! :p

Nick, did you work out those chainline issues and whether or
not the BB you have is suitable for your rear hub?

I think I sent you this already, but here it is again anyway:
http://www.63xc.com/howto/howto.htm
STACKS of info for all the road/off-road fixers!

Specific info on fixie hub selection, chainline, etc:
http://www.63xc.com/hubchoice/willhubs.htm

hth
hippy

flyingdutch said:
well...

Mine's circa '98 and has lots of chrome and steel (dunno about the stainless part?)
Get yourself down to PeterMooreCycles who can respace that sucker for ya

I'm sure there's an article on Sheldon's website about "cold setting" dropout spacing with a piece of 2x4 (no I'm not kidding).

NickZX6R wrote:

> Here's a frame that will soon be a *****in' fixie!

Bugger! Now I'mm gonna have to clean all the drool outta da keyboard!

Are you going to remove the shifter bosses and stuff? I imagine it'd be hard work to match that cool green colour.

Regards,

Suzy

Resound said:
I'm sure there's an article on Sheldon's website about "cold setting" dropout spacing with a piece of 2x4 (no I'm not kidding).
Nah just run as a 5 or 6 speed. Its amaxing how nice a simple 5 speed drivetrain is.

Although I have cold set using the description from Sheldons site. Its pretty simple. A little nervous at the outset though...

hippy wrote:
> "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> Nick, did you work out those chainline issues and whether or
> not the BB you have is suitable for your rear hub?
>
> I think I sent you this already, but here it is again anyway:
> http://www.63xc.com/howto/howto.htm
> STACKS of info for all the road/off-road fixers!
>
> Specific info on fixie hub selection, chainline, etc:
> http://www.63xc.com/hubchoice/willhubs.htm
>
> hth
> hippy

My research indicates:
- chainline for 'standard' inner road ring is 41mm
- chainline for track hub (120mm) is 40.5mm

So if that's true I'll be ok within a mm or so.

But...it remains to be seen what the actual chainline is once I put it
all together. Of course, if I run into trouble there is always the
option of trawling eBay for some nice Sugino or Campy SR track cranks :)

But I'd settle for Miche if it was cheap ;P

--
Nick

flyingdutch wrote:
> NickZX6R Wrote:
>
>>Marinoni just emailed me saying it was built 28/9/94.
>>
>>That seems a bit late for a 126mm spacing and lots of chrome and
>>stainless steel.
>>
>>I though 126mm was only good for 5 or 6 speed. Maybe it was built
>>originally for 7sp?
>>
>>Anyone know which frame spacings work with which drivetrains?
>>
>>--
>>Nick

> well...
>
> Mine's circa '98 and has lots of chrome and steel (dunno about the
> stainless part?)
> Get yourself down to PeterMooreCycles who can respace that sucker for
> ya

I'm not going to respace the frame. I've got hub spacers instead for
free - at a bike shop no less!

--
Nick