Old Sk00l Bike Porn

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by NickZX6R, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.

    Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!

    WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
    steel and lugs. Proceed with care.

    http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html

    I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the road
    next week. Woohoo!

    BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't be
    arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.

    --
    Nick

    Tags:

  2. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Much prettier than mine. You ARE going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

  3. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
    >>
    >>Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!
    >>
    >>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
    >>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
    >>
    >>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
    >>

    >>I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the
    >>road
    >>next week. Woohoo!
    >>
    >>BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't be
    >>arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nick

    > Much prettier than 'mine'
    > (http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Resound/fixie/). You ARE
    > going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

    Dunno yet. Still struggling with the keep-it-original/full-on-fixie
    dilemma. A paint job would be really nice so I might do those at the
    same time.

    Although you just don't see them anymore - seems a shame to destroy them.

    --
    Nick

  4. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Hey wait a minute - dont grind up that frame!! Or even repaint it - that will make such a nice fixie even with 6 or 8 grams of extra steel on it... Just let it be and build up on it.

    Tom (pleading for preservation of bicycle art :) )

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!

    not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

    Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya, but never say never...).
    Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
    What's the scoop?

    and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
    You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and said,
    "And this must be Dutchy!" :D

    PS what gearing you going for?

    F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]
    > Resound wrote:
    >> You ARE
    >> going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?

    > Dunno yet. Still struggling with the keep-it-original/full-on-fixie
    > dilemma. A paint job would be really nice so I might do those at the same
    > time.
    >
    > Although you just don't see them anymore - seems a shame to destroy them.

    There's no harm in leaving them on. It's one thing to grind
    up an old Apollo (sorry Vege) but it's another to chop a
    much nicer frame like this. Got any details on Marinoni?
    Whatever it is, it looks quite nice. I'd keep it original, but
    that's me.

    hippy

  7. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

  8. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    > > I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
    > >
    > > Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!
    > >
    > > WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes

    were
    > > steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
    > >
    > > http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
    > >

    > > I've got almost all the parts ready so I'm hoping to get it on the
    > > road
    > > next week. Woohoo!
    > >
    > > BTW, sorry in advance for the...err...minimalist HTML - I couldn't

    be
    > > arsed doing anything more sophisticated. I'm off for a ride.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nick

    > Much prettier than 'mine'
    > (http://img73.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Resound/fixie/). You ARE
    > going to grind those cable guides off the BB, aren't you?
    >

    > --
    > Resound

    I picked up a Malvern Star frame similar to that one during council
    collection. Anyone heard of an "Equipe" ? I don't know anything about
    it other than it has tange 1 tubing.

    It might become a singlespeed sooner or later...
    http://202.154.103.179/~graeme/malvern_star_equipe.html

    Graeme

  9. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
    >>
    >>Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!
    >>
    >>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
    >>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
    >>
    >>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
    >>
    >>Nick

    > That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!
    >
    > not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    >
    > Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it
    > way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya,
    > but never say never...).
    > Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
    > What's the scoop?
    >
    > and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
    > You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and
    > said,
    > "And this must be Dutchy!" :D
    >
    > PS what gearing you going for?
    >
    > F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

    Sorry about that. You provoked me by overtaking ;)

    I was riding out to my mate's place (Doncaster) and back. I live 2.4kms
    from work so I don't get to commute as such. So I do other people's
    commutes instead :)

    For more info on Marinoni... http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/html/eng_index.asp

    Details are sketchy but it seems Guiseppe Marinoni was a pro Italian
    (duh) racer who met his future wife while racing in Canada. So he
    married her and stayed there. Don't know if he's still alive.

    The serial number on the frame is 41171 and I suspect the 71 is year of
    manufacture. That's pretty consistent with the frame.

    I thought you might like the green :)

    --
    Nick

  10. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Kinda sorta in that it's got the single star on the head tube. Lugs and dropouts are different though. Also, if that frame fits you, you're a lot taller than me :)

    Incidentally, having taken another look at those pics, I'm inclined to agree with those I've offended...it is a bit too nice to butcher.

  11. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>I was going to wait until I'd finished it but I can't help myself.
    >>
    >>Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!
    >>
    >>WARNING: These images depict a frame dating way back when bikes were
    >>steel and lugs. Proceed with care.
    >>
    >>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/marinoni.html
    >>
    >>Nick

    > That is SWEEEEEETTTTT Nick!!!!!
    >
    > not that Im swayed by the colour green, mind :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    >
    > Leave the bits on tho. you might find yerself wanting to re-roadify it
    > way of finto the future. (admittedly unlikely if the fixed bug gets ya,
    > but never say never...).
    > Never heard of Marinoni, but that dont mean much :rolleyes:
    > What's the scoop?
    >
    > and just where were you and youre mate riding to this arvo?
    > You scared the bejeezus out of me when you pulled up along side and
    > said,
    > "And this must be Dutchy!" :D
    >
    > PS what gearing you going for?
    >
    > F "easily scared at the mo..." Dutch

    Marinoni just emailed me saying it was built 28/9/94.

    That seems a bit late for a 126mm spacing and lots of chrome and
    stainless steel.

    I though 126mm was only good for 5 or 6 speed. Maybe it was built
    originally for 7sp?

    Anyone know which frame spacings work with which drivetrains?

    --
    Nick

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    well...

    Mine's circa '98 and has lots of chrome and steel (dunno about the stainless part?)
    Get yourself down to PeterMooreCycles who can respace that sucker for ya

  14. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    It's obviously all become too much for me. Last night I dreamt I bought
    a new house and when movign in discovered the previous owner had left a
    shed full of track frames, parts and tools. You don't get obsessive
    dreams like that from RUNNING.

    DaveB

  15. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > It's obviously all become too much for me. Last night I dreamt I bought
    > a new house and when movign in discovered the previous owner had left a
    > shed full of track frames, parts and tools. You don't get obsessive
    > dreams like that from RUNNING.

    Oh I'm sure some of us do.. you know who you are! :p

    Nick, did you work out those chainline issues and whether or
    not the BB you have is suitable for your rear hub?

    I think I sent you this already, but here it is again anyway:
    http://www.63xc.com/howto/howto.htm
    STACKS of info for all the road/off-road fixers!

    Specific info on fixie hub selection, chainline, etc:
    http://www.63xc.com/hubchoice/willhubs.htm

    hth
    hippy

  16. Resound

    Resound New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    I'm sure there's an article on Sheldon's website about "cold setting" dropout spacing with a piece of 2x4 (no I'm not kidding).

  17. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    NickZX6R wrote:

    > Here's a frame that will soon be a bitchin' fixie!

    Bugger! Now I'mm gonna have to clean all the drool outta da keyboard!

    Are you going to remove the shifter bosses and stuff? I imagine it'd be hard work to match that cool green colour.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  18. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Nah just run as a 5 or 6 speed. Its amaxing how nice a simple 5 speed drivetrain is.

    Although I have cold set using the description from Sheldons site. Its pretty simple. A little nervous at the outset though...

  19. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    > Nick, did you work out those chainline issues and whether or
    > not the BB you have is suitable for your rear hub?
    >
    > I think I sent you this already, but here it is again anyway:
    > http://www.63xc.com/howto/howto.htm
    > STACKS of info for all the road/off-road fixers!
    >
    > Specific info on fixie hub selection, chainline, etc:
    > http://www.63xc.com/hubchoice/willhubs.htm
    >
    > hth
    > hippy

    My research indicates:
    - chainline for 'standard' inner road ring is 41mm
    - chainline for track hub (120mm) is 40.5mm

    So if that's true I'll be ok within a mm or so.

    But...it remains to be seen what the actual chainline is once I put it
    all together. Of course, if I run into trouble there is always the
    option of trawling eBay for some nice Sugino or Campy SR track cranks :)

    But I'd settle for Miche if it was cheap ;P

    --
    Nick

  20. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > NickZX6R Wrote:
    >
    >>Marinoni just emailed me saying it was built 28/9/94.
    >>
    >>That seems a bit late for a 126mm spacing and lots of chrome and
    >>stainless steel.
    >>
    >>I though 126mm was only good for 5 or 6 speed. Maybe it was built
    >>originally for 7sp?
    >>
    >>Anyone know which frame spacings work with which drivetrains?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nick

    > well...
    >
    > Mine's circa '98 and has lots of chrome and steel (dunno about the
    > stainless part?)
    > Get yourself down to PeterMooreCycles who can respace that sucker for
    > ya

    I'm not going to respace the frame. I've got hub spacers instead for
    free - at a bike shop no less!

    --
    Nick