Old Sun Solo road bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Flemming, Feb 3, 2003.

  1. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    touring folks..

    It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?

    cheers

    bob

    Tags:

  2. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    The sun solo was my first racer when I was a student 20 yrs ago, Black with orange emblem on it, I
    went everywhere on that bike. It was stoledn outside the university library in Aberdeen, That'll
    teach me for being so swotty. That could be my bike.

    Oh memories ! "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    > wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    > touring folks..
    >
    > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > bob

  3. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?

    One of these was my first drop handlebar/derailleur bike when I was 12
    (1983). 100 or so quid, standard steel raleigh frame, 5 speed, cottered cranks, weinmann suicide
    levers + ally (I think) sidepulls, steel rims, rat traps, a boys dream. So it's a reasonably
    bog standard low end raleigh 'racer'. FWIW the frame is still going, so it can't be all bad.

    cheers, clive

  4. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    As I remember in 83 when I got mine it was the cheapest racer in the shop(£100), which incidentally
    is now the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop shop in Aberdeen now, It was still a good bike and all I could
    afford at the time, I was just a poor student.

    Someone thought it was worth stealing.

    Cheers, John

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    > wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    > touring folks..
    >
    > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > bob

  5. "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    > > wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    > > touring folks..
    > >
    > > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    > >
    > > cheers
    > >
    > > bob

    I found a 5-speed one of these "in similar circumstances" and turned it into a fixed gear bike --
    great fun to ride!

    The Classic Rendezvous website has info about the history of Sun bikes. Look at:

    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Sun_bicycles_main.htm

    Cheers,

    Richard.

  6. I'm giving my age away here because before mountain bikes came onto the scene in the early eighties
    I used a sun racer as an off road bike. Terific fun! who needs full SUS anyway. If anyone knows
    Ingleby Incline NY Moors then try it on a bike like this for an adrenalin rush.

    Richard Hellier <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<b[email protected]>...
    > > "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27"
    > > > steel wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like'
    > > > proper touring folks..
    > > >
    > > > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > > > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    > > >
    > > > cheers
    > > >
    > > > bob
    > > >

    > I found a 5-speed one of these "in similar circumstances" and turned it
    into
    > a fixed gear bike -- great fun to ride!
    >
    > The Classic Rendezvous website has info about the history of Sun bikes.
    Look at:

    > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Sun_bicycles_main.htm
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Richard.

  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    > wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    > touring folks..
    >
    > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > bob

    I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit out of true and can't be
    bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an ali wheel, if there is such a thing at this size.
    But apart from that, I've got a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It
    was certainly a relief when I got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB ( cheapo £100 Universal) on
    road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If you can get it from
    the tip for free and there's no problem with it, flog it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut out
    there who'll think he's got a bargain. cheers, Dave.

  8. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:10:13 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
    >> wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
    >> touring folks..
    >>
    >> It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    >> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >>
    >> bob
    >>

    >I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit out of true and can't be
    >bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an ali wheel, if there is such a thing at this size.
    >But apart from that, I've got a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It
    >was certainly a relief when I got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB ( cheapo £100 Universal) on
    >road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If you can get it from
    >the tip for free and there's no problem with it, flog it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut
    >out there who'll think he's got a bargain.

    LOL..

    ...well the bloke down my local tip is wise to 'freebies' being worth the odd buck or two. He wanted
    twenty quid for this bike. I flashed a tenner, but he wasn't having any of it, reckoning 'some bloke
    would be along soon to buy it for twenty'. He could well be right, but I left kind of feeling a bit
    of an idiot. Hell fire, what's the difference between 10 and 20 quid for a bike? Hardly goona retire
    on a tenner am I? (Without a pension, there's going to be no retiring round here anyway!!) I may
    well go back and pick it up tomorrow....providing it's still there, of course!!!

    I know it's not anything special but just wondered about the make. As ever. thanks for
    your replies.

    bob

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:10:13 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27"
    > >> steel wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like'
    > >> proper touring folks..
    > >>
    > >> It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
    > >> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
    > >>
    > >> cheers
    > >>
    > >> bob
    > >>

    > >I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit
    out
    > >of true and can't be bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an
    ali
    > >wheel, if there is such a thing at this size. But apart from that, I've
    got
    > >a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It was certainly a relief when I
    > >got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB (
    cheapo
    > >£100 Universal) on road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If
    > >you can get it from the tip for free and there's no problem with it,
    flog
    > >it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut out there who'll think he's
    got a
    > >bargain.
    >
    > LOL..
    >
    > ...well the bloke down my local tip is wise to 'freebies' being worth the odd buck or two. He
    > wanted twenty quid for this bike. I flashed a tenner, but he wasn't having any of it, reckoning
    > 'some bloke would be along soon to buy it for twenty'. He could well be right, but I left kind of
    > feeling a bit of an idiot. Hell fire, what's the difference between 10 and 20 quid for a bike?
    > Hardly goona retire on a tenner am I? (Without a pension, there's going to be no retiring round
    > here anyway!!) I may well go back and pick it up tomorrow....providing it's still there, of
    > course!!!
    >
    > I know it's not anything special but just wondered about the make. As ever. thanks for your
    > replies.
    >
    > bob

    LOL....Sell it for 40 quid...that's the beauty of the second hand market...retirement might be
    closer than you think!!cheers, Dave