Old Sun Solo road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Flemming

There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
touring folks..

It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?

cheers

bob

The sun solo was my first racer when I was a student 20 yrs ago, Black with orange emblem on it, I
went everywhere on that bike. It was stoledn outside the university library in Aberdeen, That'll
teach me for being so swotty. That could be my bike.

Oh memories ! "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
> wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
> touring folks..
>
> It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
>
> cheers
>
> bob

"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?

One of these was my first drop handlebar/derailleur bike when I was 12
(1983). 100 or so quid, standard steel raleigh frame, 5 speed, cottered cranks, weinmann suicide
levers + ally (I think) sidepulls, steel rims, rat traps, a boys dream. So it's a reasonably
bog standard low end raleigh 'racer'. FWIW the frame is still going, so it can't be all bad.

cheers, clive

As I remember in 83 when I got mine it was the cheapest racer in the shop(£100), which incidentally
is now the Edinburgh Bicycle Coop shop in Aberdeen now, It was still a good bike and all I could
afford at the time, I was just a poor student.

Someone thought it was worth stealing.

Cheers, John

>
> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
> wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
> touring folks..
>
>
> cheers
>
> bob

"John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
> > wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
> > touring folks..
> >
> > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
> > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > bob
> >
> >

I found a 5-speed one of these "in similar circumstances" and turned it into a fixed gear bike --
great fun to ride!

The Classic Rendezvous website has info about the history of Sun bikes. Look at:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Sun_bicycles_main.htm

Cheers,

Richard.

I'm giving my age away here because before mountain bikes came onto the scene in the early eighties
I used a sun racer as an off road bike. Terific fun! who needs full SUS anyway. If anyone knows
Ingleby Incline NY Moors then try it on a bike like this for an adrenalin rush.

Richard Hellier <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27"
> > > steel wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like'
> > > proper touring folks..
> > >
> > > It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
> > > 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > bob
> > >
> > >
>
> I found a 5-speed one of these "in similar circumstances" and turned it
into
> a fixed gear bike -- great fun to ride!
>
> The Classic Rendezvous website has info about the history of Sun bikes.
Look at:
>
> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/Sun_bicycles_main.htm
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard.

>
> touring folks..
>
>
> cheers
>
> bob
>
>
I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit out of true and can't be
bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an ali wheel, if there is such a thing at this size.
But apart from that, I've got a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It
was certainly a relief when I got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB ( cheapo £100 Universal) on
road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If you can get it from
the tip for free and there's no problem with it, flog it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut out
there who'll think he's got a bargain. cheers, Dave.

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:10:13 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:eek:[email protected]...
>>
>> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27" steel
>> wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like' proper
>> touring folks..
>>
>> It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
>> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> bob
>>
>>
>I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit out of true and can't be
>bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an ali wheel, if there is such a thing at this size.
>But apart from that, I've got a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It
>was certainly a relief when I got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB ( cheapo £100 Universal) on
>road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If you can get it from
>the tip for free and there's no problem with it, flog it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut
>out there who'll think he's got a bargain.

LOL..

...well the bloke down my local tip is wise to 'freebies' being worth the odd buck or two. He wanted
twenty quid for this bike. I flashed a tenner, but he wasn't having any of it, reckoning 'some bloke
would be along soon to buy it for twenty'. He could well be right, but I left kind of feeling a bit
of an idiot. Hell fire, what's the difference between 10 and 20 quid for a bike? Hardly goona retire
on a tenner am I? (Without a pension, there's going to be no retiring round here anyway!!) I may
well go back and pick it up tomorrow....providing it's still there, of course!!!

I know it's not anything special but just wondered about the make. As ever. thanks for
your replies.

bob

news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:10:13 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Bob Flemming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:eek:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> There is one of these down the dump.....I know it's not up to that much, it's old with 27"
> >> steel wheels, but it's a 25 " frame, and has forks that bend forward a bit more, rather 'like'
> >> proper touring folks..
> >>
> >> It looks like some generic type bike. Made in England. Just the basic
> >> 52/38 front and 6 block on the back. Has anybody heard of this 'Sun Solo' road bike before?
> >>
> >> cheers
> >>
> >> bob
> >>
> >>
> >I bought one last year Bob, second hand obviously. Rear wheel is a bit
out
> >of true and can't be bought totally back in. I'm thinking of buying an
ali
> >wheel, if there is such a thing at this size. But apart from that, I've
got
> >a fair bit of mileage in on it and am planning a whole lot more. It was certainly a relief when I
> >got it as a replacement for my pseudo MTB (
cheapo
> >£100 Universal) on road runs. All in all, I thought it was well worth the £25 I paid for it ! If
> >you can get it from the tip for free and there's no problem with it,
flog
> >it for £25. There's bound to be some idjut out there who'll think he's
got a
> >bargain.
>
> LOL..
>
> ...well the bloke down my local tip is wise to 'freebies' being worth the odd buck or two. He
> wanted twenty quid for this bike. I flashed a tenner, but he wasn't having any of it, reckoning
> 'some bloke would be along soon to buy it for twenty'. He could well be right, but I left kind of
> feeling a bit of an idiot. Hell fire, what's the difference between 10 and 20 quid for a bike?
> Hardly goona retire on a tenner am I? (Without a pension, there's going to be no retiring round
> here anyway!!) I may well go back and pick it up tomorrow....providing it's still there, of
> course!!!
>
> I know it's not anything special but just wondered about the make. As ever. thanks for your
> replies.
>
> bob

LOL....Sell it for 40 quid...that's the beauty of the second hand market...retirement might be
closer than you think!!cheers, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.