Old TA Bottle cages w/single tube mount - secure ?

still me

Guest
Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
another improvement that didn't need to be).

still me wrote:
> Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
> perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
> the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
> another improvement that didn't need to be).

Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old tube.
I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage stayed
snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:14:01 -0500, catzz66
<[email protected]> wrote:

>still me wrote:
>> Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
>> perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
>> the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
>> another improvement that didn't need to be).

>Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
>an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
>frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old tube.
> I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage stayed
>snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

Yeah, I usually put something on there too to avoid scratching with
all my bikes, 'cause they're all too old to have braze-ons for
bottles.

But, this is the cage I was referring to:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/ta/images/ref216.p.jpg

On 2007-07-10, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:

> still me wrote:
>> Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
>> perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
>> the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
>> another improvement that didn't need to be).

> Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
> an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
> frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old tube.
> I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage stayed
> snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

The old Hi-E bottle cages were held on by a single hose clamp.

--

John ([email protected])

still me wrote:

> But, this is the cage I was referring to:
> http://www.blackbirdsf.org/ta/images/ref216.p.jpg

Never seen one like that, and I used to have a TA bottle cage. It
mounted on the bars, though.

--

David L. Johnson

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:14:01 -0500, catzz66
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >still me wrote:
> >> Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
> >> perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
> >> the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
> >> another improvement that didn't need to be).

> >Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
> >an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
> >frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old tube.
> > I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage stayed
> >snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

> Yeah, I usually put something on there too to avoid scratching with
> all my bikes, 'cause they're all too old to have braze-ons for
> bottles.
>
> But, this is the cage I was referring to:
> http://www.blackbirdsf.org/ta/images/ref216.p.jpg

They worked great, no problems. I put black electrical tape on the
downtubes to keep the paint from getting chewed up.

Chas.

I have one of these on my Andre Bertin, they work well on the right
size tube (28.6mm). There is a lot of surface contact and they do not
come loose. An old trick regarding paint is to use electrical tape.
However, use the sticky side to the clamp, not the frame. Install the
mono-clamp to the cage and then run tape against the inside of the
clamp. Use a razor blade to trim off the excess that is sticking out
and beyond the cage. Now mount the cage and you paint will be
protected and you have a clean look.

On Jul 11, 12:08 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "still me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:14:01 -0500, catzz66
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
> > >an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
> > >frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old tube.
> > > I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage stayed
> > >snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

> > Yeah, I usually put something on there too to avoid scratching with
> > all my bikes, 'cause they're all too old to have braze-ons for
> > bottles.

> > But, this is the cage I was referring to:
> >http://www.blackbirdsf.org/ta/images/ref216.p.jpg

> They worked great, no problems. I put black electrical tape on the
> downtubes to keep the paint from getting chewed up.

Don't use electrical tape! Use twine! ;-)

In article <[email protected]>,
still me <[email protected]> wrote:
>Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
>perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
>the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
>another improvement that didn't need to be).

Mine's been attached to the frame since 1976 when I bought my
bike used. It works just fine, it's not the most paint friendly
device out there, but at this point the paint under the clamp is
actually the best preserved on the bicycle.

The bike was used a lot the first 10 years I owned it and sat as
a project to revive "someday" for about 15 years and has gotten
a few thousand miles in the last 5 years. I can't remember
a single incident of the bottle cage coming loose.

_ Booker C. Bense

"John Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2007-07-10, catzz66 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > still me wrote:
> >> Just curious... anyone ever use one of these? It seems like it would
> >> perpetually come loose, unless you tightened it so tight you removed
> >> the paint from your frame. (Then again, maybe the two bolt was just
> >> another improvement that didn't need to be).

> > Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but I put a bottle cage on
> > an old bike once with computer component size zip ties. I kept the
> > frame from getting scratched by fashioning a gasket out of an old

tube.
> > I only had that particular bike a year, but the rigged-up cage

stayed
> > snug and held up better than the rest of the bike.

> The old Hi-E bottle cages were held on by a single hose clamp.
>
> --
>
> John ([email protected])

Used those too. They were very light - maybe saved a few grams - but bent
easily.

Chas.