Old Time Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Mar 17, 2006.

  1. I have an old pair of Time Criterium pedals in good condition, that I
    might like to start using. They are designed for two sets of cleats,
    front and rear with 2 bolts each. They are similar to the old Time
    Equipe Pro pedals.

    I have neither cleats nor shoes that will fit these. My question is
    where can I get cleats to fit them, and what kind of shoes would work?
    Also, is it even worth fooling with these old pedals?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > I have an old pair of Time Criterium pedals in good condition, that I
    > might like to start using. They are designed for two sets of cleats,
    > front and rear with 2 bolts each. They are similar to the old Time
    > Equipe Pro pedals.
    >
    > I have neither cleats nor shoes that will fit these. My question is
    > where can I get cleats to fit them, and what kind of shoes would work?
    > Also, is it even worth fooling with these old pedals?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have the cleats..you need either a set of Time or Carnac shoes, older
    ones, that accept these 4 bolt cleats or a conversion plate that bolts
    to a 3 bolt, LOOK style shoe, with the 4 bolt setup. Talk to a
    Time/Carnac shoe dealer. Thinking about it, I think a Speedplay shim,
    one that comes with all pedals, will work also. 3 bolt to attach to any
    road shoe, then attach the Time cleats...since Speedplay were always
    able to connect to Time shoes w/o an adaprter. If you have the shoes,
    I'll send ya some SP plates, we have a drawer of them.

    [email protected]

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Sidi sells Time adapters for thier road shoes.
    The front "cleat" piece is a positioner; while the rear cleat is where the action takes place. Serious road shops like Peter's carry choices you need. I still favor the old Time pedals for road riding. However, you will want to take them off as soon as you complete your ride. I wish I could find some walkable cleat covers that stay of and provide the protection like the Look covers I see around.

  4. [email protected] wrote:

    > I have an old pair of Time Criterium pedals in good condition, that I
    > might like to start using. They are designed for two sets of cleats,
    > front and rear with 2 bolts each. They are similar to the old Time
    > Equipe Pro pedals.
    >
    > I have neither cleats nor shoes that will fit these. My question is
    > where can I get cleats to fit them, and what kind of shoes would work?
    > Also, is it even worth fooling with these old pedals?

    I still use them on one of my bikes, and they work very well. Sidi
    shoes in the Genius II era had an adaptor plate for them, and Time shoes
    had the bolt holes already there (as you'd expect). There are also some
    Look-to-Time adaptors kicking around; I sold a pair on *bay last year.