Old timers on bikes

hillibillybiker

Jul 24, 2006
This summer I've seen more people over the age of 60 cycling than ever before.We've had an uncharacteristically good summer in the uk this year and it's been great to see older people out on they're bikes.Since turning 40 this year I've become more aware of the years passing by and it gives me hope for my own cycling future:)

hillibillybiker said:
This summer I've seen more people over the age of 60 cycling than ever before.We've had an uncharacteristically good summer in the uk this year and it's been great to see older people out on they're bikes.Since turning 40 this year I've become more aware of the years passing by and it gives me hope for my own cycling future:)

My dad's just finally given up road racing - he's 67.

I would view this as a good sign. It keeps them active and healthier, helps promote the sport, enriches their lives, and saves on both gas and emmissions.

Savagewolf said:
I would view this as a good sign. It keeps them active and healthier, helps promote the sport, enriches their lives, and saves on both gas and emmissions.
But I hate it when an old timer who knows all the short cuts gives you that knowing smile as they beat you home on your commute.

I turned 40 this week, and to tell you the truth, I still feel like I did at 18. I honestly don't feel like I've aged at all.

I still operate on 5-6 hours sleep a nite, where some of my friends the same age sleep 8+ and nap in the afternoon too :eek:

fauxpas said:
I turned 40 this week, and to tell you the truth, I still feel like I did at 18. I honestly don't feel like I've aged at all.

I still operate on 5-6 hours sleep a nite, where some of my friends the same age sleep 8+ and nap in the afternoon too :eek:
Yes, as you age, your sleep requirement decreases.

fauxpas said:

I feel pretty young too,but I still need my 7hrs a night,I could get by on 6,but I'd be like a bear with a sore head all day.Only time I have a siesta is if I've been on the booze the night before,which isn't very often these days:)

Down here in Florida there's a fellow in his 90s who travels around to most of the Senior Games competitions, and does both the 5K and 10K TTs, one right after the other. Last year after a race he shuffled by me and some pals and said, "I'm getting too old for this." But he was only kidding.

I am 54, but there are three fellows over 70 who I ride with. One is 71 and can average between 20 and 22 mph on 35 to 45 mile rides. The others are 76 and 78. The 76 year old can average better than 15 mph, but the 78 year old can only manage about 13.5 mph. There are a lot of folks in their 20's and 30's who cannot average 13.5 mph around here. At 54, the best I can average is 17 mph and usually I am closer to 16 mph. When I retire and ride every day like they do, maybe I will improve.

RickF said:
I am 54, but there are three fellows over 70 who I ride with. One is 71 and can average between 20 and 22 mph on 35 to 45 mile rides. The others are 76 and 78. The 76 year old can average better than 15 mph, but the 78 year old can only manage about 13.5 mph. There are a lot of folks in their 20's and 30's who cannot average 13.5 mph around here. At 54, the best I can average is 17 mph and usually I am closer to 16 mph. When I retire and ride every day like they do, maybe I will improve.
A 70 yr old averaging 20-22mph,now that's impressive!

Pendejo said:
Down here in Florida there's a fellow in his 90s who travels around to most of the Senior Games competitions, and does both the 5K and 10K TTs, one right after the other. Last year after a race he shuffled by me and some pals and said, "I'm getting too old for this." But he was only kidding.
Good God 90,are you sure he's not a robot? lol

My dad is 74 and rides at least three times a week, 40~60 km in quite hilly terrain. HRM and his own pace. What I aspire to be able to do!

willocrew said:
Yes, as you age, your sleep requirement decreases.
Are you sure? I just turned 40 and I could easily sleep 8-10 hrs a night!
The biggest problem for me as I get older is the accumulated aches from 20+ years of crashing motorcycles...

Eastway82 said:
Are you sure? I just turned 40 and I could easily sleep 8-10 hrs a night!
The biggest problem for me as I get older is the accumulated aches from 20+ years of crashing motorcycles...
Some people will do anything to meet nurses.