Old Tour de France Photos

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by DiabloScott, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Pompe" is a pump for anything. A "gonfleur" works on air, to inflate things; but it could very
    > > well be a pump. If you don't believe me, Google "gonfleur" - the very first hit depicts a
    > > foot-pump.

    "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > >"Pompe" is French for pump.
    > The trivial error you're trying to obfuscate is best illuminated by comparing your assertion:
    > "Gonfleur" is French for "pump" with the equally erroneous phrase: "Inflator" is English for
    > "pompe".

    The piece is a heavy turned cylinder, similar in design and construction to an oxygen cylinder
    about tem inches long. Mine is a Milremo brand made in the sixties (bought it used in1972). They
    were refilled with nitrogen and have a presta fitting and a valve so one charge will inflate
    several tubulars.

    I wasn't able toget back to this conversation but I am amazed that such a once-common thing has
    completely passed out of the culture and memory of cyclists in such a short time!

    I never heard them called anything else besides 'gonfleur', the direct French meaning of the word
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.