Old Ultegra jockey wheels - 2 different bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Argyll Bob

I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when re-installed.
The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried it both ways
with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey wheel should be
in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

Thanks Bob Leckron Indianapolis

P

Paul Southworth

In article <[email protected]>, Argyll Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
>one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
>ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when
>re-installed. The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried
>it both ways with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey
>wheel should be in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

Floating pulley on top, closest to cogs. Shifts better that way.

P

Pete Grey

Ceramic bushing with play should be in the top, next to the cogs. The play allows for smoother
running, sorf of self-centering.

-pete

"Argyll Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while
cleaning
> it I noticed that one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other
one
> has a metal bushing. The one with the ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a
> small amount of side play when re-installed. The
problem - I
> don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried it
both
> ways with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in
shifting.
> Which jockey wheel should be in the top position, and what's the reason
for it?
>
> Thanks Bob Leckron Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.