Old Ultegra jockey wheels - 2 different bushings?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Argyll Bob, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Argyll Bob

    Argyll Bob Guest

    I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
    one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
    ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when re-installed.
    The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried it both ways
    with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey wheel should be
    in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

    Thanks Bob Leckron Indianapolis

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Argyll Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
    >one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
    >ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when
    >re-installed. The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried
    >it both ways with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey
    >wheel should be in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

    Floating pulley on top, closest to cogs. Shifts better that way.

  3. Pete Grey

    Pete Grey Guest

    Ceramic bushing with play should be in the top, next to the cogs. The play allows for smoother
    running, sorf of self-centering.

    -pete

    news:[email protected]...