Old Ultegra jockey wheels - 2 different bushings?

Status

Argyll Bob

Guest
I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when re-installed.
The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried it both ways
with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey wheel should be
in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

Thanks Bob Leckron Indianapolis

Paul Southworth

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Argyll Bob <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while cleaning it I noticed that
>one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other one has a metal bushing. The one with the
>ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a small amount of side play when
>re-installed. The problem - I don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried
>it both ways with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in shifting. Which jockey
>wheel should be in the top position, and what's the reason for it?

Floating pulley on top, closest to cogs. Shifts better that way.

Pete Grey

Guest
Ceramic bushing with play should be in the top, next to the cogs. The play allows for smoother
running, sorf of self-centering.

-pete

"Argyll Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have an older model (around 1997) Ultegra road derailleur, and while
cleaning
> it I noticed that one jockey wheel has a ceramic bushing, while the other
one
> has a metal bushing. The one with the ceramic bushing seems to be slightly narrower and has a
> small amount of side play when re-installed. The
problem - I
> don't remember which one was in the top position originally. I tried it
both
> ways with the bike on a stand and didn't notice any difference in
shifting.
> Which jockey wheel should be in the top position, and what's the reason
for it?

> Thanks Bob Leckron Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.