old vs. new shimano freewheels/removers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mewash, Nov 24, 2004.

1. mewash

mewash New Member

anyone know the difference between the old and new shimano freewheel removers? is it the number of splines? i can't figure out which one i need.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Park too only list one. It's worked on evry shimano freeheel I have run into. Just what have you got?

3. mewash

mewash New Member

bicycle research makes two different kinds: "shimano type" and "shimano ug type." looking at the pictures, it looks like the main difference is diameter.

my freewheel is an mf-z012, which shows up in online listings of post-1985 groups, but that's not enough for me. everything else on the bike is pre-85.

http://www.bicycletool.com/wheelt.html

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

I think you are getting some BS somewhere. I've got the park fr-1 and it works with shimano ug and hg freewheels and I just also tried it on a mf-z012. If you check the Park site you will find out that 'shimano type' is NOT shimano.

5. mewash

mewash New Member

ok, thanks a lot, that obviously solves my problem. i don't really get what you mean by "shimano type is not shimano," though. the park tool is also called "shimano type." you're saying it works on stuff that's not just shimano, or what? i assumed the bicycle research tool is for pre-85 shimano freewheels, since the park tool works for post-85.

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Read it again.they tell ya what 'shimano like' is and what it works on.

7. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

The freewheel tool canbe used to remove cassette lockrings as it is a bit longer. It fits a bit looser than the correct lockring tool but will work on steel lockrings.

I don't think the lockring tool will work on freewheels. Even if it fit, it doesn't have the strength.

8. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

The pictures are kind of crappy, but it looks to me like what they identify as the Shimano-UG type corresponds to the Park FR-1 (which is parity for the Shimano TL-FW30). I suspect that their CT-4 part corresponds to the old Shimano TL-FW20 (see: http://www.bayviewcycle.com/NewFiles/Acc_pages/Tools4.html ) which is smaller in diameter and I believe fits only non-UG pre-1985 freewheels.

9. satanas

satanas New Member

Thge older type remover does actually exist and is needed for very old (pre-UG) Shimano freewheels. To get these off requires removing the axle first, as the remover has a smaller diameter than the newer type and a thicker wall. These would only be out there on *very* old bikes, and are all 5 speeds with straight (not "twisted") teeth. Larger cogs may have alternate teeth missing.

As the only reason to take one of these freewheels off is to throw it away, I see no reason why anyone other than a bike shop would need the tool often enough to justify buying one.