Older 2008 carbon bike or newer 2012 slightly cheaper aluminium?

clouddog

May 7, 2013
They are both Specialized if you know the make i don't know - i have a hybrid of theirs i'm impressed with

Any kind of opinions welcome I would like to pick it up on Monday!

it's not a lot of price difference but the more expensive is the carbon for £750

Would that be worth the price for a 2008 model?

if it's been taken care of anyway!?

sorry for the vagueness of my question but if you want to know what i will use it for - commuting - holidays - rides of 10 - 60 miles 10 in week 60 at weekends not v competitive but like the idea of a lighter carbon bike
For Sale - 2008 Specialized Ruby Comp - 51cm​
Women Specific Frame Sizing Full Carbon Frame - With vibration dampening Zerts in the Rear Seat Stays and Forks​
Shimano 105 STI Shifters​
Shimano Ultegra Rear Mech​
Shimano 105 Front Mech​
Shimano Chainset​
Shimano 105 Front and Rear Brake Callipers​
Bontrager Wheelset with brand new Bontrager R1 Tyres​
Specialized Bars and Stem​
Carbon Seat-post - With vibration dampening Zerts​
Specialized Body Geometry Lithia Saddle​

Specialized Cross-top Levers​
This bike has been serviced by qualified mechanics and is in full working order​
Any questions feel free to ask​
roversync
or this one

pecialized Allez sport triple road bike 56cm frame RRP £799.99
EXTRAS INCLUDE: BRAND NEW tyres, Victory sport gloves, top gear underseat storage pouch, front & rear lights. Multi-tool & a CATEYE COMPUTER wireless (battery & instructions included). Shimano cleat pedals
Tyres: front= continental Ultra sport
Rear = Gator skins (impenetrable)

Frame:
Specialized Allez A1 Premium aluminium, fully manipulated tubing, smooth weld compact race design, integrated headset
Fork:
Allez carbon, carbon fibre legs, aluminium crown and steerer
Front Derailleur:
Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur:
Shimano Tiagra
Shifters:
Shimano Sora STI, flight deck compatible
Chainset:
Shimano Sora
Chainrings:
50 × 39 × 30T
Bottom Bracket:
With Crankset
Cassette:
Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-25t
Chain:
HG-73
Pedals:
Shimano M530 SPD
Front Brake:
Shimano Sora
Rear Brake:
Shimano Sora
Brake Levers:
Shimano Sora STI, flight deck compatible
Handlebars:
Specialized Comp Ergo, 6061 alloy
Stem:
Specialized Elite-Set, 3D forged alloy, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
Headset:
Cage bearings integrated with headset, 20mm of spacers with top cap
Grips:
Specialized S-Wrap, cork ribbon with gel
Rims:
Alex S500, aluminium, sleeve joint, CNC machined sidewalls
Front Hub:
Forged aluminium, 32h sealed ball bearings, QR
Rear Hub:
Forged aluminium, 32h double sealed ball bearings, cassette, QR
Spokes:
Stainless 14g

Tubes:
Standard presta valve
Saddle:
Body Geometry Rival road, with Cr-Mo rails
Seatpost:
Alloy, two-bolt clamp, 27.2mm
Seat Binder:
Alloy, 31.8mm

I think the Ruby is the women's version of the Roubaix, which is a very popular model. If it's in good shape, it's a much better bike that the Sport Triple. Better frame and much better equipped. The only reason to consider the Allez instead (which is not a women's specific design by the way, if that matters) would be if it were a new bike left over from the 2012 model year, making you the original purchaser with full warranty protection. Only the original purchaser is covered by the warranty with Specialized (and most every bike company). But from the ad, it sure sounds used.

If I'm right about the Ruby being the women's Roubaix, it's also what's referred to as an "endurance" geometry design. Usually means a little higher headtube for a more upright riding, longer wheelbase for more stable handling, and a women's design usually has a shorter top tube reducing the reach to the bars (women tend to have shorter arms and torsos than men). Some manufacturers also flip the stem up on women's road bikes. In addition to being a "men's" design, the Allez is also a more aggressive "race" geometry bike.

Have someone who knows bikes go with you to look at the Ruby. Sometimes defects in carbon aren't as apparent as they can be in metal frames. If it passes muster, in my opinion it's the much better buy, even if it is 5 years old.

Thanks so much for a fast thorough reply! I can't go with anyone I don't know anyone who knows more than I do which is next to nothing ! I will google how to spot frame defects If you have any advice on this it would be amazing

If I were you I would see if you can get a test ride on the Allez. It couldn't hurt.

I'd take the 2008 carbon any day. Better bike, better ride.

Also, the carbon bike has better components (105/Ultegra is a step up from Sora etc..

I'd like newer 2012 slightly cheaper aluminium... This is new one ,,all the parts are new.... So if you still like the carbon ..then you can replace the wheels and the other parts you want ..