Older Campy record hub question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rwinthenorth, Aug 30, 2009.

1. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

What is the spline pattern of the Record Exa Drive 8 speed cassette. I just had a wheel built up with this hub not realizing the spline pattern was different. When I experimented on a worn 9 speed casette to grind the teeth down (as recommeded by the shop), I realized they don't even really line up. If I was looking for a NOS online, should I buy the Exa Drive they have? My concern is the statement Does not fit 1995 Record Ti hub. What do they look like and does anyone have photo of one.

Note to self: don't use this shop anymore. Shouldn't a mechanic ask the question before the build?

Thanks

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you are asking/saying ...

You can buy a 9-speed MIRAGE hub & swap its freehub body with the 8-speed freehub body on your Record hub if you (presumably) want to use a 9-or-10-or-11-speed cassette.

The splines on the 9-/10-/11-speed hubs are deeper, BTW ... the freehub body is aluminum.

3. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

Thanks. I actually wanted to do that but wasn't sure if it would fit and I'm not a fan of breaking down the rear hub anyway. They're a pain the ass to put back together. Question: on the Record 8, to get the hub off it looks like I need 2 cone wrenches on the opposite side. Yes?

I also discovered I had a Campy 8 cassette on another wheel and it fit, but the lockring threads are to small. Is there any source, other then eBay or buying a completely new 8 speed cassette to get an older lockring for this hub?

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

You need to be certain that the MIRAGE rear hub you buy has the same fat "bell" shape as on your RECORD rear hub ...

You will loosen the nut on the freehub side of the hub ... I haven't looked at one in a long time, but I think there is a SET SCREW -- you will probably use a 2mm-or-smaller (?) Allen wrench -- which is actually holding the nut in place rather than two nuts OR a nut & cone ... the actual cone is inboard & fixed on the axle.

Removing the cone from the non-drive side will allow you to remove the axle AND freehub, but the freehub will still be attached to the axle ... so, there is no reason to UNLESS you were planning to replace-or-repack the bearings.

After you remove the nut (on the driveside), the freehub will then slide off AND the 3-pawls will probably fall off the freehub body, so work over a box!

I think there were actually THREE different lockring sizes ... but, maybe there are only two. The lockring for the 8-speed freehub body is not compatible with other(s) ...

Since the lockring usually comes with the hub, you're going to have to order one from a shop OR hope that someone is selling one on eBay.

I do NOT know about the interchangeability of the more recent 9-/10-/11-speed freehub bodies with the older rear hub shell design.

5. rwinthenorth

rwinthenorth New Member

That's the rear hub I have, an early 2000's mirage with the bell. I'll do a little surgery this week. It sounds like the simplest solution to getting to use this sweet hub. Thanks alfeng for the direction.

6. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

For the OP, is the freehub body silver and 8s? If yes, it is the Record aluminum freehub body made for their 8s all titanium cogs(1995/6), Unique, and no 8ssteel, nor 9/10/11s Campagnolo cogsets will fit.

For this poster, the axle for Mirage(cart bearings) and Veloce/Athena(1994/5/6/7) was different than Record/Chorus. You can swap the Record freehub with a freehub from 1997 Record/Chorus and then use 9/10/11s but cannot use a freehub from a cart bearing rear hub(like Mirage) nor Athena/Veloce w/o swapping the axle also.

These freehubs are still available from Campagnolo, BTW, 9/10/11s freehubs that fit onto Record/Chorus 8s hubs from more than a decade ago.

7. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

3 lockrings. 8s, 9s from 1997 and then 1999 and later 9/10s when they started using oversize aluminum axles for their hubs.

The thread diameter(not pitch) is 29mm for 8s, 26mm for first gen 9s and 27mm for latest gen 9/10/11s freehubs/