older commuter/road bike suggestions?

atarinox

Sep 20, 2006
Just realized I probably should've posted this here....

Hi,

I'm looking to get a road bike for work/school commuting purposes, and also general errands around town. I'd like something decent, which handles well and is relatively light, but wouldn't like to spend more than say $250. Also, it'd be nice if I could continue to ride the bike through snow/rain (i live in the northeast), so maybe something which is suitable for cyclocross tires? I'm thinking that i'll have to buy a used (ebay?) older road bike to get something decent in my price range. Any reccomendations for a good value, quality road bike?

As of now i'm looking into some older bianchis, treks, and peugots...
There's also a really cool bike shop in town called Freeze/Thaw which builds custom fixed-gear bikes suited to your needs. How would a fixed-gear road bike work for commuting? I'm assuming you can't coast on those types of bikes...is that dangerous in traffic and around people?

Also, i'm wondering what frame size I should be looking at. My height is 6'0" and my inseam measurement is just about 32".

thanks for any help!

Mike

This is actually my fist post on this site and I'm just getting back into cycling after over a decade away from it. That said, I know there are many on here far more knowledgable than I am but maybe I can offer some worthwhile advice. :)

I'd suggest you find one or two good bike shops in your area - if they know what they are doing they'll measure you properly for the frame size. Personally, I like a bike with a bit bigger frame than the measurements tell me I should get but that's just my preference.

I know you say you want a road bike but I would suggest looking at a good cross bike...for commuting, errands, and such where you aren't always on great pavement and/or it takes a pounding I think they are a good bet; more comfortable than a full-blown mountain bike but more durable than a road bike.

You aren't going to get a great bike for $250 but I think you'll get a decent one. Then, after you've ridden for a while you can move up to a more expensive bike and by then, have a better idea of what you like/need, etc.

As for brand, I can't help much there at all but I did always find that "Specialized" usually offered a lot more bike for the money than most brands; mostly, I think, because they manufactured many of the components they use.

Hope that helps some.