Older DiamondBack road frame info

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Johhny Two Pedals, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. All,

    I posted this on RBT a few weeks ago and did not receive much response
    (Thanks Andrew....), so I'm casting a wider net.

    I am doing some research on an older Diamondback frame I
    recently picked up on e-bay. The info available on the 'net via a
    Google searc­h is somewhat sparse; and from the new owners of
    Diamondback none­xistent.

    The frame is a Prevail TG, 58CM C/C, semi-vertical dropouts­. The
    color is a fluorescent Keylime Pie on an Acid Trip, with dark blue­
    splatter (actually, the more I look at it the cooler it gets) with
    "A­venir Equipped" logos. The left chainstay is marked "Designed by
    ­Centurion".
    The DB logo is a salmon pink. The steerer tube is marked 19­91 CR MO
    20.2x274 (looks more like a tube mfg mark). The welds are v­ery
    competent to pretty good, but obviously not "custom" quality­.
    >From a short shakedown ride I'm very impressed with the frame...it

    climbs and accelerates well. I'm eagerly anticipating realy­ giving
    it a workout.

    I'm looking for some original advertising or spec sheets on ­this
    bike, just to fill out my file cabinets.

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. abqishome

    abqishome Guest

    You're right. There is not much on the web. The only stuff of interest was
    at: http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-43176. I don't have any
    info either. But I do have a flourescent pink DB with black splatters
    affectionately called "Pinky" by my "friends". It is a good looking bike
    that I bought from some guy who had purchased it at a police auction.
    Markings are: Tang 100% OS CRMO on downtube, designed in USA, Made in
    Tiawan; Master tg on top tube; Avenir Equiped; CRMO Super Blades Fork.
    I want to turn into more of a climber for the hills around here, so I am
    looking to replace the bottom bracket and crank with maybe a triple
    chainring - not even sure I can do that on this bike. I heard that it may
    even be possible to spread the chainstay and seatstay to allow the newer
    freewheels. The dropout span measures 5" and it looks like I need about 4
    additional mm to fit the new age components. The bike has a store tag from
    a store around town, so I'll call them up and see if they have any old
    records. I don't know too much techy stuff, but I am going to try and hack
    through this upgrade instead of buying a new bike. I'll let you know if I
    come across anything. Have you ever heard about spreading the rear
    dropouts?

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:21:10 -0500, "abqishome"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have you ever heard about spreading the rear
    >dropouts?

    Sheldon Brown's site has an article detailing the procedure.

    It's called "cold setting" and is relatively simple with a steel frame
    as long as you don't need a lot more room. That tends to throw the
    dropouts out of vertical alignment so they look like this:

    /-----\ instead of this |-----|

    Four millimeters shouldn't cause problems.