older dura-ace crank, newer pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dcg, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Dcg

    Dcg Guest

    I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like to
    fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).

    Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?

    TIA

    Tags:

  2. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "dcg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like
    > to fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    >
    > TIA

    Sheldon?

    I'm sure these things exist, but you're probably better off buying a "new" pair of D/A 7400 cranks
    and calling it good.

    Mike

    Mike S. wrote:

    > Sheldon?

    You called?

    > I'm sure these things exist, but you're probably better off buying a "new" pair of D/A 7400 cranks
    > and calling it good.

    Actually, the thread on those Dyna Drive cranks is 1" x 24 tpi...you could screw a standard fork
    into the right side, but you'd need a left-hand threaded fork for the left.

    Adaptor bushings for this purpose used to be available, but they seem to have gone extinct. At
    least none of the sources I've tried have any of them left. (I get one or two requests for these
    every year.)

    New cranks are probably the best way to go...

    Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/cranks.html" Brown +-----------------------------------------------
    +
    | A government that robs Peter to pay Paul | can always depend upon the support of Paul. | --George
    | Bernard Shaw |
    +-----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  4. Luns Tee

    Luns Tee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    >
    >Adaptor bushings for this purpose used to be available, but they seem to have gone extinct. At
    >least none of the sources I've tried have any of them left. (I get one or two requests for these
    >every year.)

    Loose Screws still lists them on their web site - search for 'dyna drive' at:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/

    -Luns

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    dcg <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like
    > to fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    >
    > TIA

    Holy cow- you have early '80's Dura-Ace EX or AX series cranks with 1" pedal thread, as seen in this
    photo: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Japan/Shim_AXgrp.htm

    Shimano made an adapter to fit standard (9/16") thread pedals in these cranks. Whether or not
    there's still some on the shelf somewhere... I dunno.

    Jeff

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    dcg wrote:

    > I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like
    > to fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).
    >
    > Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?

    Shimano adapter #1399901. I might have a set but didn't see them in a quick perusal tonight.
    Write me .

  7. mumbo-<< I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd
    like to fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).

    Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    >><BR><BR>

    There is and we can get them...pricey tho-about $50 per set.

    ahhhh Dynadrive pedals, another attempt for a 'new' standard.

  8. Dcg

    Dcg Guest

    Thanks everyone for your replies. Those are some pretty pricey adapters! I think I'll look for a
    crank on eBay.

    This is for a 80's Guerciotti - a pretty nice bike with Italian bottom bracket threads.

    Will any crank work, or should I look for a particular brand / model ?

    >I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like to
    >fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).
    >
    >Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    >
    >TIA

  9. Dick

    Dick Guest

  10. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    "dcg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks everyone for your replies. Those are some pretty pricey adapters! I think I'll look for a
    > crank on eBay.
    >
    > This is for a 80's Guerciotti - a pretty nice bike with Italian
    bottom
    > bracket threads.
    >
    > Will any crank work, or should I look for a particular brand /
    model ?

    Anything will work, but in keeping with the AX motif, you should look for a PowerCam. Put it
    together with a Browning automatic front derailleur, a Zap rear, and a Helicomatic freehub -- maybe
    some Hi-E pedals. Do you have the AX brakes? If not, you might look for some -- or some old roller-
    cams or Campy Deltas. Top it all off with some Rigida 13-20s. These are solid parts that will last
    you a lifetime! -- Jay Beattie.

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "dcg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks everyone for your replies. Those are some pretty pricey adapters! I think I'll look for a
    > > crank on eBay.
    > >
    > > This is for a 80's Guerciotti - a pretty nice bike with Italian
    > bottom
    > > bracket threads.
    > >
    > > Will any crank work, or should I look for a particular brand /
    > model ?
    >
    > Anything will work, but in keeping with the AX motif, you should look for a PowerCam. Put it
    > together with a Browning automatic front derailleur, a Zap rear, and a Helicomatic freehub --
    > maybe some Hi-E pedals. Do you have the AX brakes? If not, you might look for some -- or some old
    > roller-cams or Campy Deltas. Top it all off with some Rigida 13-20s. These are solid parts that
    > will last you a lifetime! -- Jay Beattie.

    I've got a Heliocomatic wheel if you want it! Just pay shipping...

    Mike

    Or try www.highpath.net who can almost certainly knock up a pair.

  13. Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anything will work, but in keeping with the AX motif, you should look for a PowerCam. Put it
    > together with a Browning automatic front derailleur, a Zap rear, and a Helicomatic freehub --
    > maybe some Hi-E pedals. Do you have the AX brakes? If not, you might look for some -- or some old
    > roller-cams or Campy Deltas. Top it all off with some Rigida 13-20s. These are solid parts that
    > will last you a lifetime! -- Jay Beattie.

    I rode a Rigida 13-20 on a Maillard freewheel hub (but not a Helicomatic, thank god) up to work
    today. I thought these were hardly stupid lite or intrinsically broken at the level of most of the
    other components you listed.

    To the OP, you have to match the bottom bracket spindle to the cranks, so if you buy new cranks, you
    should either make sure they work with the BB you have, or get a new Italian threaded BB of the
    proper spindle length.

  14. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    Check the length of the spindle. I think it was extra short, 103mm? Most cranks need a bit longer.

    Bruce

    "dcg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks everyone for your replies. Those are some pretty pricey adapters! I think I'll look for a
    > crank on eBay.
    >
    > This is for a 80's Guerciotti - a pretty nice bike with Italian bottom bracket threads.
    >
    > Will any crank work, or should I look for a particular brand / model ?
    >
    > >I have an older bike with a dura-ace crank. The crank accepts a pedal with a 25mm bolt. I'd like
    > >to fit the bike with modern Look pedals - which have a standard thread of 9/16 (I think).
    > >
    > >Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow modern pedals to be attached to this older crank?
    > >
    > >TIA

  15. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bruce Frech" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Check the length of the spindle. I think it was extra short, 103mm? Most cranks need a bit longer.
    >
    > Bruce

    I'm not so sure about that. IIRC spindles were pretty standard till Shimano tried the low profile
    stuff with the ?7410? series. Not sure about the exact # of the first low profile D/A...

    Anyone remember any different?

    Mike

  16. Mike S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm not so sure about that. IIRC spindles were pretty standard till Shimano tried the low profile
    > stuff with the ?7410? series. Not sure about the exact # of the first low profile D/A...

    > Anyone remember any different?

    Sheldon's BB size page http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html says the DA AX used a 107-109mm
    spindle. The really low profile one is the DA 7410.

  17. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    Thanks for checking. Mike & Sheldon correct my memory lapse.

    Bruce

  18. Mike S. wrote:

    > I'm not so sure about that. IIRC spindles were pretty standard till Shimano tried the low profile
    > stuff with the ?7410? series. Not sure about the exact # of the first low profile D/A...

    I've been meaning to put up the 1982 Shimano catalogue I recently scanned, this thread gave me the
    push to do the needed Photoshopping.

    Looks like 107 mm.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1982/pages/15.html

    Sheldon "Scanner" Brown +------------------------------------------------+
    | If you don't want your message to get to me, |
    | insert **NO-SPAM** into my email address. |
    +------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  19. Bill Putnam

    Bill Putnam Guest

    "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ... Put it together with some Rigida 13-20s. These are solid parts that will last you a lifetime!
    > -- Jay Beattie.

    Jay,

    In my experience Rigida 13-20's are prone to cracking. These were very common on early TREK bicycles
    that were the rage in my area (Madison WI) back some 25 years ago. The 13-20 has single eyelets
    only, unlike the MAVIC E3 or MA-2, and with enough miles, the 13-20's will crack.

    Bill Putnam